Salomon boots

Old September 29th 03, 10:48 PM
Biff

Default Salomon boots

I am looking for a stiffer soft boot, and have heard good things
about the Salomon's. Specifically, the Malamutes look appropriate.

But, what are the F series boots about? The info on the Salomon
web site was hard to understand.

Thanks!
Old September 29th 03, 11:08 PM
Mike T

But, what are the F series boots about? The info on the Salomon
web site was hard to understand.

About three season ago Salomon had a useful informative easy to
understand web site. Then they went to that Flash-based,
high-bandwidth, low-info format everyone else uses. Shame on them.

In any case... I've got the 2001-2002 Malamutes and they've served me
very well. If you are looking for a very stiff soft boot (presumably
for all-mtn riding, if you spend most of your time in the park/pipe
these may get in the way of your tricks) *and* they fit you properly I
definitely recommend them. They are a two-piece boot with a removable
liner, and the liner is heat-moldable. (The liners can't hold a candle
to the ones from Intuition, which are licensed by Raichle and also used
in some 32 boots I think - Jason? - but I digress...)

The F boot is a one-piece boot. Part of the marketing appeal is that
the outside footprint of a size X F boot is supposed to be the same as
the size X + 1 Malamute, meaning that for the same size, you get less
overhang.

BUT, when I tried them on, I need a 9 in the F as opposed to an 8 in the
Malamute. In other words, the footprint was just about the same for me
between the two models in the sizes that fit me well. Also, I though
the Malamute felt stiffer, which is contrary to some people's posts in
this newsgroup and on www.bomberonline.com . (I made this call with one
foot in a F and one in a Malamute!) All boots soften with use and it's
hard to know whether the F will soften faster than the Malamute or
slower.

I never did try on the 2002-2003 models... but I've heard some people
say the 01-02 was better... sorry, can't give any more info on that.
If you're looking to save money, loook for the previous years' models in
these boots, where available they can be had for 35-50% off original
retail.

Mike T

Old October 1st 03, 04:49 PM
Jason Watkins

I am looking for a stiffer soft boot, and have heard good things
about the Salomon's. Specifically, the Malamutes look appropriate.

But, what are the F series boots about? The info on the Salomon
web site was hard to understand.

I use Malamutes as well, and love them. Burton has a stiff boot
(Driver?), and another one worth trying on is the TeamOne from 32
(very light weight).

The F boots are part of something Salomon is calling "Fusion". The
basic idea seems to be that modern softboots already have a lot of
ridged plastic inside there to give you the right flex and support, so
why cover it over with a bunch of redundant leather or leather like
stuff?. So they're kindof a one piece boot that has solid exposed
plastic tounges and cuffs, and an inner liner cuff that's sewn into
the sole (not removable). I personally think it's a great idea, and
wish they'd make a super stiff step-in version.

I tried on one last year, and thought it felt "ok", but not a stiff as
the malmute. I've got feet boardering on largish (size 28 in salomon),
so the smaller sole they advertise on the F boots appeals. This year
they're available in 3 different stiffnesses. I haven't tried them on
yet, but am told the stiffest is stiffer now than the Malamute.

Bottom line for boots: go try on as many as you can. Doing a demo day
at the hill where you can actually ride instead of just pace the store
floor is a definate bonus.
Old October 1st 03, 09:10 PM
Arvin Chang

Default Salomon boots (rant on crappy websites)

"Mike T" wrote in message .. .
But, what are the F series boots about? The info on the Salomon
web site was hard to understand.

About three season ago Salomon had a useful informative easy to
understand web site. Then they went to that Flash-based,
high-bandwidth, low-info format everyone else uses. Shame on them.

Yea... totally I am really tired to crappy flash snowboard websites...
flash can be good... but almsot without exception, snowboard companies
like to do really poorly designed, obnoxious ones. For instance, it
was so hard navigating Salomon's website I wasn't even able to find
out that their had a halfpipe specific board (which was what I was
looking for at the time). Later I tried to find their contact info to
email and complain about the website... couldn't find it... they dont'
even for a email address to contact to report problems viewing the
website... I ended up emailing the designer of the site and
complaining (although I'm not sure my high school French really got
the message across).
Old October 1st 03, 09:19 PM
mcsnet

I bought a pair of 02/03 malmutes and I love them. My last pair of
boots were Burton Drivers, and i loved those two, although over time
the Burtons softened significantly. I can't compare the Malmute as
this will only be the second season i'll be wearing them.
One of the things to keep in mind with Salomon boots is that they have
a narrow V heel that really does help to keep your heel from slipping
too much, and a pretty roomy toe box. *Everyone* that i've talked to
says this is a Salomon trademark.
Yes, they are stiff. In addition, they have a really good two piece
mechanism to keep the liner tight. The first thing is the drawstring
lace, which does a pretty good job of *not* slipping, and second,
theres a velcro strap that moves diagonally across your foot and ankle
starting at the outside top instep and ends up on the inside high
ankle. You can adjust both independent of each other.

They are pricey, costing nearly $300US MSRP. But, in my book, its
*always* better to scrimp on your board and bindings and splurge a
little on your boots.
*shrug*

anyhow, my two cents.
paul

Old October 2nd 03, 10:53 AM
Keith

Thought I'd jump in with my experiences of the 2002/3 F:

One of the things to keep in mind with Salomon boots is that they have
a narrow V heel that really does help to keep your heel from slipping
too much, and a pretty roomy toe box. *Everyone* that i've talked to
says this is a Salomon trademark.

Yup. They're comfy boots, without much noticable heel lift.

Yes, they are stiff. In addition, they have a really good two piece
mechanism to keep the liner tight. The first thing is the drawstring
lace, which does a pretty good job of *not* slipping, and second,
theres a velcro strap that moves diagonally across your foot and ankle
starting at the outside top instep and ends up on the inside high
ankle. You can adjust both independent of each other.

The adjustment is also good on the Fs: outer + inner laces, + heel cup
strap. One thing I did notice was that they started off fairly stiff, but
softened up a bit by the end of the month. Didn't make much of a difference
to my riding, and if anything I was more comfortable in them by that point.

I'd highly recommend them, but as always there are now something like four
near-identical models, so I wouldn't know which to suggest!

They are pricey, costing nearly $300US MSRP. But, in my book, its
*always* better to scrimp on your board and bindings and splurge a
little on your boots.

Yup. IMO, Money should go on boots-bindings-board, in that order.

Keith

Old October 2nd 03, 04:40 PM
Jason Watkins

Yeah, Salomon's site really is the worst. Last time I looked at it
every paragraph of text cut off around the middle of the 2nd sentance.
Crazy to think that a large established company can put up a website
that is so broken.

Something else about Salomon is that there is no company direct
contact. Anything you need like replacement lace parts (I lost one
ratchet) you have to go through a local dealer. Which can be great or
crappy depending on your dealer.
Old October 3rd 03, 12:49 AM
Biff

Yeah speaking of crappy websites, I haven't been able to use the Volkl
snowboarding website at all, getting a Java error.

Liking the new catek website tho.
Old October 3rd 03, 02:11 AM
Mike T

Liking the new catek website tho.