Jay T's Adirondack Vacation '03

Old July 30th 03, 11:41 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Jay T's Adirondack Vacation '03

The annual summer trip back to visit the wife's relatives in Upstate
New York (Glens Falls and Saratoga) went something like this;

Wednesday 7-23: Arrive

Thursday 7-24: Golf at the famed Thunderbird Resovoir Course in South
Glens Falls. I played with my Mo-In-Law's 64 year-old friend and her
66 year-old Bro-In-Law. I was the big hitter in the group and after a
tough 52 on the front, settled down to a nice 44 on the back for a
smooth little 96...

Friday 7-25: Went for a 1 hour ride on the Co-Bro's (Common Law
Brother In Law) beat-up GT Mountain bike. I rode the narrow roads of
Saratoga. Next, I drove to Reliable Racing to hang outr with my pal,
Dave Matthews. As I there, Doug Diehl dropped by. As a result, I've
met another RSN poster. Among the list are my buddies Jay Wenner, John
O'Connell (Nordic Norm, Pete DiArienzo, Greg Worsnop (Frontrunner),
Ken Sazlberg, Toby Markowitz, Terje Mathisen and Gary Jacobson. Plus
such luminaries as Rob Bradlee, Brian May and Nathan Schultz. Sorry if
I mised anyone... Friday night, we hung out in downtown Saratoga for
the "Hats Off" celebration.

Saturday 7-26: Golf at a very difficult Saratoga Lake Course. The
highlight was spotting a Red Fox on the 17th Green, a par 3, as we
were preparing to tee-off. The tee and green are elevated with a deep
ravine between. The fox cleaned himself and then trotted away. I shot
a respectable 99 which I wouldn't have shot if I had known I needed to
par the last hole to break 100. I did manage to beat the Co-Bro,
always a treat. Then, we went to Lake George and spent a few hours on
the Co-Bro's 25 foot cruiser. Back at the Sister-In-Law's house, the
Tour Time Trial was on OLN.

Sunday 7-27: A 2 hour ride on the Co-Bro's GT. I rode the mountain
bike trails behind Skidmore college and then rode down to the Saratoga
Spa State Park. Following that, a day at the Saratoga Race Track
(horses) where I broke even but would have been up if I hadn't
listened to my Father-In-Laws tips... Next up was catching the Tour
finiash on OLN.

Monday 7-28: Climbed to the top of Prospect Mountain, the toughest
half hour climb in all of sport. The hike down is tough and last 30
minutes also. The total workout was 1 hour. Next, I joined my wife and
Father-In-Law and Mother-In-Law (divorced) at the OTB (off track
betting) in Glens Falls. Yes, my In-Laws are gambling addicts. I broke
even again.

Tuesday 7-29: I rode the Co-Bro's GT one more time for 1 hour. Then,
we went back to Lake George for more crusing. Following that, the
Co-Bro and I went to the Saratoga Spa State Park Golf Course. We got
in 15 holes before the sun went down. We played with a bar bouncer who
hit the ball 350 but was really wild. He talked on his cell phone,
took three or four extra putts for practice on each hole and generally
slowed us way down. We would have easily finished 18 if the starter
hadn't paired us with him. Anyway, we didn't say anything to him about
playing faster becasue the guy was the size of an NFL lineman...

Wednesday 7-30: My wife and I hung out in downtown Saratoga before
catching the plane back to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
Old July 31st 03, 02:13 PM
Ken Roberts

My head is still spinning from just thinking about all that skiing you
managed to pack into one week.

Do you have any thoughts about how that Prospect Mt road compares with
skiing up the roads on Whiteface, or Mt Greylock?

Ken

Old August 2nd 03, 02:40 AM
Ken Roberts

Sounds like I need to add Prospect Mt (NY) to my list of rollerski climbs to
try -- hope I can get up there this summer. It'll be skating for me, not
classic -- in fact maybe on inline skates.

Ken