Team OYB National Tour: first strike!

Old July 23rd 03, 03:24 PM
Jeff Potter

Default Team OYB National Tour: first strike!

Well, we're on the road now. First we drove thru Chicago. What a great
shoreline scene they have there! It was cool seeing all the rental
pedicabs in action and the great variety of cyclists along the shore.

It reminded me of a new bike book I just saw: "The Complete Bike Book"
by DK. I flipped thru their chapter on bike types and saw they had
downhill and slalom bikes but no citybikes or recumbents. Sad. Saw
tons of citybikes and 'bents in Chi.

Stopped for dinner on our way S. to St. Louis at the Des Plaines
bridge. Really no public features along the way to speak of, so when
we crossed this big river and I noticed the abandoned-looking
industrial acreage beyond a rundown looking marina we got off of I-55
and parked by the river where we found an old picnic table and cooked
up a lovely first dinner with the fam's. What a great scene and
setting: huge bridge, big river, tugboat moving barges, rough old
marina, trashed old industrial skyline, abandoned yachts of huge scope
and dream, failed... Yet others equally abandoned but under old tin
roof, looking like a new fool could revive the dream.

Now we're in St. Louis at relatives. I went for a ride last night on
the lovely narrow twisty hilly roads about 20 miles west of town where
we're staying. I was out a half hour when dudes one after the other
came whizzing by the other way. Eventually it was too much and I
turned around and joined them. We just blasted the hills for a half
hour. No one said anything. I was with about 6 riders. Team jersey
dudes, shaved legs. Hi guys! --if you're out there. I was the new guy
with neon green/yellow jersey on trashed old blue Miyata. Man, they
handled the technical roads very nicely. And the cars treated everyone
fine, too. We were blastin along nicely, too. It seemed like groups
were chasing and tryin to bridge and just randomly forming, breaking
up then reforming. I didn't try anything fancy coz I couldn't really
tell what was going on or where we were going. ...And those extra 15
pounds sure don't help! Boy, you could get fit quick riding around
here! There seemed to be about 50+ riders stretched out over 20
minutes of riding. The Tues Nite Ride. One lane bridges and the road
too narrow for a car to pass. I thought we'd get some redneck trouble,
but no. It was a bit hot for me and after awhile it was late for
dinner so I doubled back.

Great riding with those guys! Now it's 70F. We're bringing Michigan
with us!

Next stop: Boulder!

GO LANCE!

--Jeff Potter
Old July 23rd 03, 03:52 PM
J999w

Hey Potter -

send this crap to your relatives.

I thought we were all family? I mean, this is RSN, not RBR !

jw
milwaukee
Old July 23rd 03, 03:56 PM
Tim Dudley

We are! The post came from RBR...what a bunch!

Jeff must have cross-posted again.

Tim

Old July 24th 03, 05:17 AM
Bret Wade

Jeff Potter wrote:

Next stop: Boulder!

There's a Tuesday evening race at the Mead race track near Boulder next
week. You should come on out and show us some of your MI smack. Bring
something to grill for the post race BBQ. Wear the neon green/yellow
jersey so we'll know you.

Directions:
http://www.frontrangecycling.com/mead.html

Bret

Old July 25th 03, 12:49 AM
Tim Mullin

"kaiser" wrote in message
m...
I just figured it was a rejected script for a Honda Element commercial.

"Kurgan Gringioni" wrote in

message et...
"Jeff Potter" wrote in message
om...
Well, we're on the road now. First we drove thru Chicago. What a great
shoreline scene they have there!

Rejected script? ****, Mister Top Poster, that's better copy than the
current Element spots.

Old July 25th 03, 03:50 AM
GeeDub

Bret Wade wrote in message rthlink.net...
Jeff Potter wrote:

Next stop: Boulder!

There's a Tuesday evening race at the Mead race track near Boulder next
week. You should come on out and show us some of your MI smack. Bring
something to grill for the post race BBQ. Wear the neon green/yellow
jersey so we'll know you.

Directions:
http://www.frontrangecycling.com/mead.html

Bret

Bret,

Don't forget to send JP your address so he knows where to camp!

Gee Dub
Somewhere, CO

Old July 26th 03, 05:26 PM
Bret Wade

Jeff Potter wrote:

Next stop: Boulder!

There's a Tuesday evening race at the Mead race track near Boulder next
week. You should come on out and show us some of your MI smack. Bring
something to grill for the post race BBQ. Wear the neon green/yellow
jersey so we'll know you.

Directions:
http://www.frontrangecycling.com/mead.html

Bret

Bret,

Don't forget to send JP your address so he knows where to camp!

Gee Dub
Somewhere, CO

I'm going to have to be a NIMBY on this one. Instead I'll recommend
the Rocky Flats campground. You can avoid paying the fee if you sneak
in over the fence.

Bret