Hectares vs. Km of Piste

Old January 13th 05, 12:35 PM
John Ricketts

Would that have been snow or mud skiing Adrian?

Keeping fingers crossed for Chamonix in 4 weeks :-) will give Scotland a
miss this year!

"Adrian D. Shaw" wrote in message
Felly sgrifennodd Ace :
No, I'm afraid you're mistaken. km^2 is the standard form of writing
what we'd normally say as 'square kilometre', in the same way as other
measures are used, e.g. lb/in^2 is spoken as 'pounds per square inch'.

Having done a little research, I have to concede that I was wrong. I wish
I hadn't started this now, I should have known better. Maybe it's the
effect
of just having done 15 days' skiing on the trot.

Adrian
--
Adrian Shaw ais@
Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, Cymru ac.

Old January 13th 05, 01:21 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd John Ricketts :
Would that have been snow or mud skiing Adrian?

Definitely snow skiing, and very good it was too. We were in the Jungfrau
region (Wengen & Muerren). All the valley runs were open for the whole
time we were there. We were very lucky: the valley runs opened just as we
got there (our first skiing day was Christmas eve), and judging by the rate
of melt on the last day we were there (Friday last week: +6C @2000m) they
probably closed just afterwards.

The snow was in excellent skiing condition for most of the time, with few
hard patches of snow, only two small patches of ice I noticed (yes I only
ntoiced one of them when I fell on it) and quality powder snow off-piste.
The slushy snow lower down in patches, later in our stay, was easily skiable.

A number of runs were closed around Muerren (not counting the Schilthorn which
is closed anyway due to a cable defect[1]). These were superb! I'm not sure why
they were closed, but in particular the black piste down from the Schiltgrad
towards Muerren was a delight.

Despite all this, the snow was not the depth that I'm sure the resorts would
have liked.

Adrian

[1] In case news hasn't got here, one of the cables on the Muerren-Birg
stretch developed a defect on or around 29th December. The latest I heard
before leaving was that it would be closed until 11th March. The result of
this is that all skiing around Schilthorn and Birg (Kandahar, Muttleren
and Engetal) are unreachable and so also closed. Ski passes for Muerren area
are reduced by 30% until it re-opens; a bargain if snow is good since IMHO
the lower pistes are better anyway.

Old January 13th 05, 02:43 PM
John Ricketts

The Schilthorn....is the the one with the revolving restaurant and the steep
mogulled "James Bond" black run that I nearly killed myself on a few years
back ;-)

Snow seems thin in the Alps at the moment....still, plenty of time for a
good dump yet before I get there!

Old January 13th 05, 08:45 PM
Sue

In message , john elgy
writes

My experience of Canada is that every possible variation from the lift
is marked and signposted as a seperate run. We even found one in
Whistler that was only 2m long (a drop off a cornice that then rejoined
the main route).

Is that the world's shortest ski run?

Crossposted to RSA, they probably know it well.

--
Sue ];(
Old January 13th 05, 08:46 PM
Sue

In message , MoonMan
writes

So how would you interpret ms^-2 ? meters per square second?

Metres per second per second, a measure of acceleration.
Yes, it is the same as metres per squared second.

--
Sue ]
Old January 14th 05, 07:05 AM
Ace

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:46:41 +0000, Sue wrote:

In message , MoonMan
writes

So how would you interpret ms^-2 ? meters per square second?

Metres per second per second, a measure of acceleration.
Yes, it is the same as metres per squared second.

More normally expressed as "metres per second squared", IME.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 14th 05, 08:52 AM
MoonMan

Ace wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:46:41 +0000, Sue wrote:

In message , MoonMan
writes

So how would you interpret ms^-2 ? meters per square second?

Metres per second per second, a measure of acceleration.
Yes, it is the same as metres per squared second.

More normally expressed as "metres per second squared", IME.

Yep, But I want to know what a square second looks like

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old January 14th 05, 06:37 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Felly sgrifennodd John Ricketts :
The Schilthorn....is the the one with the revolving restaurant and the steep
mogulled "James Bond" black run that I nearly killed myself on a few years
back ;-)

That's the one. You won't get the chance to kill yourself on it this
winter though, unless you go late in the season. It's really quite a tame
slope in good snow conditions these days; they piste it, so it doesn't
get the chance to build up moguls like it used to.

Adrian
Old January 15th 05, 09:08 AM
Steve Haigh

Darren Atter wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 21:54:30 +0000, Steve Haigh
wrote:

john elgy wrote:

My experience of Canada is that every possible variation from the
lift is marked and signposted as a seperate run. We even found one
in Whistler that was only 2m long (a drop off a cornice that then
rejoined the main route). My experience of skiing in the US is very
limited.

That seems to be streching it a bit - where on earth is that run?

There are loads of runs at Whistler (and Blackcomb) that are not
marked, but I take your point, they do seem to mark a lot more runs
than would be the case in Europe.

Apparently the patrollers have a map with every "run" named, only so
many of those make it onto the maps / signed. These are mostly the
dropins from cornices or areas that are now permanantly closed (loss of
lift pass etc) We did go in once to see the map but no joy so it may
not exist?

Patrollers certainly know and name many runs that aren't on the official
map, but this is more for their own convenience (e.g. it'smuch easier to
say "head to Fraggle Rock" than it is to say "head down Twist and Shout
then turn right by the rocks 1/2 way down, go up the gully and walk
across the flat for 100m until you see the chair ... etc"). Most of
these 'runs' are know to locals too, and, in the case of
Whistler/Blackcomb most of them are perfectly legal to ski - there are
very few areas there that you can't ski, and they are well signed. I
doubt there is map of all of these, they exist more in the heads of the
locals than on a fixed map I think, but I wouldn't be surprised if a
bored patroler in the hut scribbled a few on the wall.
Old January 15th 05, 09:11 AM
Steve Haigh

MoonMan wrote:

Ace wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:46:41 +0000, Sue wrote:

In message , MoonMan
writes

So how would you interpret ms^-2 ? meters per square second?

Metres per second per second, a measure of acceleration.
Yes, it is the same as metres per squared second.

More normally expressed as "metres per second squared", IME.

Yep, But I want to know what a square second looks like

it doesn't look like anything, what does a second look like, what does
1/hour look like (aka "per hour", as in "miles per hour")?