So this guy walks into a ski newsgroup and he says...

Old January 23rd 05, 06:05 AM
lal_truckee

Wayne Decker wrote:
Guess I don't understand. I don't have any such problem.

Weeel now, it hasn't happened for, ummm, 3 decades now, but the mounted
toenail wall hangings still served their purpose...

Remember leather ski boots?
Old January 23rd 05, 03:05 PM
jobewan

Hey Mikey,

You should be able to have the liners re-shaped up to 6 times. And
don't forget to put a toe cap on when shaping to provide extra space
for toe warmth (or a warming pad).

The FORCE .... if at first you don't succeed its still there fo-ya
jobewan

Old January 24th 05, 04:47 AM
ant

"VtSkier" wrote in message
ant wrote:
"VtSkier" wrote in message

Ant,
Repeat after me:
"Before skiing in the autumn and every week thereafter, I
will cut my toenails as short as I can get them. Preferably
to a point where the front of my toe is well beyond the front
edge of the nail."

yeah, I do that. They still go black. I have 2/3 orthotics, and they
slide, and that seems to exacerbate it. My ankles are too thin too, and
that allows too much movement. Boot makers can't conceptualise that a
wide foot doens't mean a fat ankle. Padding only does so much.
I had one toenail half grown back, and it went black on a particularly
bad day, it was nowhere near the end of the toe. I haven't had proper
big toenails in years.

ant

Jeez, with a problem like that, I might opt to have the
growing part of my toenail removed. Seems like a bitch
to have constant damage.

You get used to it. Actually they aren't black at the moment, they're red!
Hurts if I stub them on anything quite a lot. then they calm down and go
black.
My current boots are great, they fit better than anything before, tiny
heels, small ankle and very wide forefoot. I guess my feet are just a weird
shape. When I remember, I paint a bit of Dr Scholl toenail softener on them,
that helps a lot.

ant

Old January 24th 05, 04:52 AM
ant

"Wayne Decker" wrote in message
m...
Guess I don't understand. I don't have any such problem. I keep my
toenails clipped anyway--straight accross just like the Boy Scout Field
Manual suggests. I have full SureFoot orthotics that I won't ski a day
without--which don't slide forward.

I used to have some of those. They are NOT orthotics. They are footbeds.
They sell them as orthotics, and they should not. I have chronic achilles
tendonitis, and my real orthotic keeps me mobile, it also improves my
balance massively. And I still got black toes before I had them and used
expensive ski-specific footbeds.

I have great Nordica boots with roomy
toeboxes but which grab my foot just in the right place to keep my feet
from EVER hitting the front of my boots--which might happen if I didnt
stay
forward and keep my heals levered back into place in the heal of my boot.

My coach would have my hide if I levered my foot like that. For those of us
who earn a living from this sport, skiing like that is a huge no-no.
Skiing groomers the foot doesn't move; on bumps and good deep fresh, it
often does. I ski a lot of the latter.

I've had custom fitted, foamed, stretched, padded and fiddled-with boots for
years. Sadly, not all feet and legs are accommodated by boot manufacturers.

ant

Old January 24th 05, 04:53 AM
ant

"lal_truckee" wrote in message
Wayne Decker wrote:
Guess I don't understand. I don't have any such problem.

Weeel now, it hasn't happened for, ummm, 3 decades now, but the mounted
toenail wall hangings still served their purpose...

Remember leather ski boots?

Yes! I put my mother in my new boots, and she was stunned by how comfy they
were. She stopped skiing before plastic padded boots came in.

ant

Old January 25th 05, 02:54 AM
Wayne Decker

I still have mine hanging in the shed!

--
I ski, therefore I am

Old January 27th 05, 06:39 AM
rosco

Wayne Decker wrote:

Guess I don't understand. I don't have any such problem.

Weeel now, it hasn't happened for, ummm, 3 decades now, but the mounted
toenail wall hangings still served their purpose...

Remember leather ski boots?

Yes! I put my mother in my new boots, and she was stunned by how comfy they
were. She stopped skiing before plastic padded boots came in.

ant

My wife still skis leather teles with a removable liner that doubles as
a camp boot. She only wears it with old-style skinny teles (some of the
first with metal edges), but they look mighty comfy in camp. As I tell
her, though, you don't ski in camp.

RAC

Old January 29th 05, 03:57 AM
ant

"rosco" wrote in message
My wife still skis leather teles with a removable liner that doubles as a
camp boot. She only wears it with old-style skinny teles (some of the
first with metal edges), but they look mighty comfy in camp. As I tell
her, though, you don't ski in camp.

I have a pair of those! only the soles are too twisty for tele. They are
italian, and the inners are works of art, little soft leather shoes.

ant

Old January 30th 05, 05:04 AM
rosco

ant wrote:

"rosco" wrote in message

My wife still skis leather teles with a removable liner that doubles as a
camp boot. She only wears it with old-style skinny teles (some of the
first with metal edges), but they look mighty comfy in camp. As I tell
her, though, you don't ski in camp.

I have a pair of those! only the soles are too twisty for tele. They are
italian, and the inners are works of art, little soft leather shoes.

ant

She does a pretty tele turn on them still. She does well with the new
gear, too, but claims she prefers the old stuff. Go figure.

RAC