Al Jenks to retire (Windblown)

Old February 3rd 09, 05:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Al Jenks to retire (Windblown)

Al Jenks, owner of Windblown in New Ipswich, NH, is retiring.

He built a real gem of a small ski area over the last 40 years.

I hope someone as dedicated to cross country takes over...

http://www.windblownxc.com/

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in rec.skiing.nordic...)
Old February 3rd 09, 09:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

I just got an email about this that mentions he's received interest
from "a group of ardent skiers from the Boston area
who envision a foundation" Anyone know who that is?

It would be great if it was a "foundation" like that which bought
Craftsbury--i.e., a wealthy family interested in putting their money
into non-profit ski area.

Jon

Old February 4th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

JonLPXC writes:

JonLPXC I just got an email about this that mentions he's received interest
JonLPXC from "a group of ardent skiers from the Boston area
JonLPXC who envision a foundation" Anyone know who that is?

No idea, but I offered to consider a donation to it.

JonLPXC It would be great if it was a "foundation" like that which bought
JonLPXC Craftsbury--i.e., a wealthy family interested in putting their money
JonLPXC into non-profit ski area.

JonLPXC Jon

Old February 16th 09, 06:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lew Lasher[_2_]

I hope someone as dedicated to cross country takes over...

The Windblown Web site ( http://www.windblownxc.com/Pages/conditions.html
) gives the names and email addresses of two people to contact to "lear
[n] more about the organization that is forming to continue Windblown
as a ski area".

I sent email to them, and, if I find out more, I will post it here
with their permission, or encourage them to post here.

In the meantime, the Windblown ski shop is selling off all their
rental equipment, and, for that matter, everything else down to wax.
This leads me to suspect that the new "organization" may end up
resembling the Camel's Hump Skier's Association that took over the
former Camel's Hump Cross-Country Ski Area in Huntington, Vermont,
another beloved old Mom+Pop kind of place.
Old February 17th 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Lew Lasher writes:

I hope someone as dedicated to cross country takes over...

Lew The Windblown Web site ( http://www.windblownxc.com/Pages/conditions.html
Lew ) gives the names and email addresses of two people to contact to "lear
Lew [n] more about the organization that is forming to continue Windblown
Lew as a ski area".

Lew I sent email to them, and, if I find out more, I will post it here
Lew with their permission, or encourage them to post here.

Lew In the meantime, the Windblown ski shop is selling off all their
Lew rental equipment, and, for that matter, everything else down to wax.
Lew This leads me to suspect that the new "organization" may end up
Lew resembling the Camel's Hump Skier's Association that took over the
Lew former Camel's Hump Cross-Country Ski Area in Huntington, Vermont,
Lew another beloved old Mom+Pop kind of place.

What happened there?

It does not sound good.