Din setting and age question

Old January 13th 05, 02:11 AM
FHemmer209

Default Din setting and age question

I turned 50 this year and my din setting was changed from 8.5 to 7.0 when I
took my skis in for their tune and binding torque test. The tech lowered the
din setting because of my turning 50 which I verified as being correct based on
the charts. I am in pretty good shape with strong legs and I wonder what the
impact of the setting change will have on an unwanted release. I am tempted to
crank them up a bit. Any thoughts?

Fred
Old January 13th 05, 03:01 AM
JQ

"FHemmer209" wrote in message
I turned 50 this year and my din setting was changed from 8.5 to 7.0 when

took my skis in for their tune and binding torque test. The tech lowered

the
din setting because of my turning 50 which I verified as being correct

based on
the charts. I am in pretty good shape with strong legs and I wonder what

the
impact of the setting change will have on an unwanted release. I am

tempted to
crank them up a bit. Any thoughts?

Fred

Depends on how and what you ski. Leave them as they are and if you are
popping out then tighten them a bit. As we age we lose bone density so they
say.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old January 13th 05, 04:49 AM
lal_truckee

FHemmer209 wrote:
I turned 50 this year and my din setting was changed from 8.5 to 7.0 when I
took my skis in for their tune and binding torque test. The tech lowered the
din setting because of my turning 50 which I verified as being correct based on
the charts. I am in pretty good shape with strong legs and I wonder what the
impact of the setting change will have on an unwanted release. I am tempted to
crank them up a bit. Any thoughts?

Your tibias, your bindings, your choice.

I chose to assume I'm 22, and set accordingly. BTW, the shop should set
to your requirements, if you sign off.
Old January 13th 05, 12:40 PM
VtSkier

lal_truckee wrote:
FHemmer209 wrote:

I turned 50 this year and my din setting was changed from 8.5 to 7.0
when I
took my skis in for their tune and binding torque test. The tech
lowered the
din setting because of my turning 50 which I verified as being correct
based on
the charts. I am in pretty good shape with strong legs and I wonder
what the
impact of the setting change will have on an unwanted release. I am
tempted to
crank them up a bit. Any thoughts?

Your tibias, your bindings, your choice.

I chose to assume I'm 22, and set accordingly. BTW, the shop should set
to your requirements, if you sign off.

Har, you only have more hair than I do. It's the same
color. And yes, the shop will set to your requirements if
you sign off. If they don't a screwdriver is a
screwdriver and we can post a link to a DIN chart
if you wish.

But seriously:
If you stay in your bindings at 7.0, leave them alone.
If you are popping out in "normal" conditions, like on
groomers or gentle bumps, tighten down a bit. My advice
is to tighten no more than half a DIN at a time. If you
have to go past your pre-50 recommended setting, go back
to the shop and have your binding torque tested again.

Unless you are super agro and bang off everything in sight,
the height/weight/boot sole/(but not age) setting should
be the correct setting for retention/release in a modern
binding.

You and I must be of a similar size/boot size to me since
my (pre-50) setting is 8.5 and this is backed off to
7.0 because of age (62). I have found that 8.0 is just
about correct. I rarely release inadvertently and then
usually because I've done something wrong, like not
getting all of the snow off my boot sole.

Generally good advice is to go with the lightest setting
that keeps you in when you desire.

Also, make sure that all of your release equipment (bindings
AND boots) are in good order.

One shop I go to has a fourth box to check for "Skier Type"
on their shop forms. If I check this the setting becomes
the same as my pre-50 setting. The Killington shops where
I MUST get the release on my WORKING skis checked, have
no such "extra" box on their shop forms.

VtSkier
Old January 13th 05, 01:09 PM
Jim Strohm

VtSkier wrote:

But seriously:
If you stay in your bindings at 7.0, leave them alone.
If you are popping out in "normal" conditions, like on
groomers or gentle bumps, tighten down a bit. My advice
is to tighten no more than half a DIN at a time. If you
have to go past your pre-50 recommended setting, go back
to the shop and have your binding torque tested again.

Unless you are super agro and bang off everything in sight,
the height/weight/boot sole/(but not age) setting should
be the correct setting for retention/release in a modern
binding.

You and I must be of a similar size/boot size to me since
my (pre-50) setting is 8.5 and this is backed off to
7.0 because of age (62). I have found that 8.0 is just
about correct. I rarely release inadvertently and then
usually because I've done something wrong,

Hey, I resemble that remark.

"Me to."

All good wisdom. The temptation exists to crank the bindings, so if you
are a crappy skiier (like me) the sticks stay on better. The charts put
me at a 6 or 7, depending on ski length; I crank up to an 8 or so, for
snow-snake repellent.

Before you ask, yeah, it's a big yard sale when I come out of the skis,
and everything else gets sold first. And it hurts too. Some day I'll
damage my little smurf-sized self.

In the meantime, my intention is that my skis go on in the morning and
they don't come off until the end of that famous "last run of the day."
Old January 13th 05, 01:36 PM
VtSkier

Jim Strohm wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

[...]

Just don't make it the last run of the season, or worse, last run
of eternity. We need your poasts here. Even when they are "me too"
posts there is both humor and wisdom. I especially liked your reply
to the guy who was questioning skiing or going college when he
gets out of high school.
Old January 13th 05, 09:22 PM

lal_truckee wrote:

I chose to assume I'm 22, and set accordingly. BTW, the shop should

set
to your requirements, if you sign off.

The shop said they had to set them at 7.0 based on my answers on the
form. They would not change it when I said I could have put down 49
years old rather than 50.

I think I will bump it up a little and then try to test some hits in an
open area away from trees.

Interesting, only two of the 7 posts appeared on my server. I had to go
to the google server to see all posts.

Fred