Steamboat Gondola Weed Bust

Old December 14th 04, 02:04 AM
Jim D

Default Steamboat Gondola Weed Bust

Eleven busted for smoking marijuana in Colorado gondola

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. Apparently a Colorado ski area's gondola wasn't
high enough for eleven skiers and snowboarders.

Sheriff's deputies cited eleven people at Steamboat Springs this week for
smoking marijuana on the ride up the mountain.

The busts occurred Thursday morning after an overnight dump of 14 inches of
snow that had the snowriders out early to look for powder stashes.

All those cited were locals, and all were 22-years-old or younger.

Ski area spokesman Mike Lane says the sheriff was called in because of
complaints that the gondola cars reeked of marijuana.

The 11 snowriders cited Thursday were taken down from the mountain on the
gondola, and their ski passes were revoked for two weeks. If caught a second
time, their passes will be revoked for the rest of the season.

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680473

Old December 14th 04, 02:37 AM
bdubya

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:04:53 -0500, "Jim D"
wrote:

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680473

Okay, so these kidz were leaving such a reek in the gondola that it
antagonized the vacationers, plus although they had a good chunk of
mountain terrain at their disposal, they were unable to summon the
bare minimum of discretion required to not be seen by the Law. Sounds
like one of those cases where the charge is Possession & Use, but the
actual offense is Egregious Stupidity.

"Yeah, sheriff, we KNOW it makes you stupid; otherwise you wouldn't
have caught us."

bw
Old December 14th 04, 02:46 PM
lal_truckee

wrote:

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680473

Okay, so these kidz were leaving such a reek in the gondola that it
antagonized the vacationers, plus although they had a good chunk of
mountain terrain at their disposal, they were unable to summon the
bare minimum of discretion required to not be seen by the Law. Sounds
like one of those cases where the charge is Possession & Use, but the
actual offense is Egregious Stupidity.

"Yeah, sheriff, we KNOW it makes you stupid; otherwise you wouldn't
have caught us."

I say "leave the kids alone" - they could have been smoking tobacco,
which would be harmful to them, or they could have been drinking, which
would (potentially) been harmful to patrons. As it is, they were hurting
no one and IMO if you are hurting no one the "leave them alone" rule
trumps law and custom and everything else...
Old December 14th 04, 05:46 PM
bdubya

wrote:

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680473

Okay, so these kidz were leaving such a reek in the gondola that it
antagonized the vacationers, plus although they had a good chunk of
mountain terrain at their disposal, they were unable to summon the
bare minimum of discretion required to not be seen by the Law. Sounds
like one of those cases where the charge is Possession & Use, but the
actual offense is Egregious Stupidity.

"Yeah, sheriff, we KNOW it makes you stupid; otherwise you wouldn't
have caught us."

I say "leave the kids alone" - they could have been smoking tobacco,
which would be harmful to them, or they could have been drinking, which
would (potentially) been harmful to patrons. As it is, they were hurting
no one and IMO if you are hurting no one the "leave them alone" rule
trumps law and custom and everything else...

I agree, but tell that to the poor sheriff who is taking it on the
chin from resort management, who in their turn are taking it on the
chin from inexcusably uptight "vacationers". IMHO, simple etiquette
(and respect for the sheriff's valuable time) should prompt the kids
to at least make an effort to be discreet, like maybe duck into the
trees somewhere out of the way.

bw
Old December 14th 04, 05:48 PM
Lisa Horton

wrote:

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680473

Okay, so these kidz were leaving such a reek in the gondola that it
antagonized the vacationers, plus although they had a good chunk of
mountain terrain at their disposal, they were unable to summon the
bare minimum of discretion required to not be seen by the Law. Sounds
like one of those cases where the charge is Possession & Use, but the
actual offense is Egregious Stupidity.

"Yeah, sheriff, we KNOW it makes you stupid; otherwise you wouldn't
have caught us."

I say "leave the kids alone" - they could have been smoking tobacco,
which would be harmful to them, or they could have been drinking, which
would (potentially) been harmful to patrons. As it is, they were hurting
no one and IMO if you are hurting no one the "leave them alone" rule
trumps law and custom and everything else...

I agree with you completely Lal. OTOH, I do feel that they were unwise
to "stink" up the gondola. Not everyone cares for the skunklike scent
of herbal refreshment

Lisa
Old December 14th 04, 07:15 PM
A. B. Normal

wrote:

http://www.kesq.com/Global/story.asp?S=2680473

Okay, so these kidz were leaving such a reek in the gondola that it
antagonized the vacationers, plus although they had a good chunk of
mountain terrain at their disposal, they were unable to summon the
bare minimum of discretion required to not be seen by the Law. Sounds
like one of those cases where the charge is Possession & Use, but the
actual offense is Egregious Stupidity.

"Yeah, sheriff, we KNOW it makes you stupid; otherwise you wouldn't
have caught us."

I say "leave the kids alone" - they could have been smoking tobacco,
which would be harmful to them, or they could have been drinking, which
would (potentially) been harmful to patrons. As it is, they were hurting
no one and IMO if you are hurting no one the "leave them alone" rule
trumps law and custom and everything else...

I short sighted view of the crime indeed. If nobody was hurt, nobody
would be complaining.
Old December 14th 04, 07:36 PM
klaus

Jim D wrote:
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. Apparently a Colorado ski area's gondola wasn't
high enough for eleven skiers and snowboarders.

Sheriff's deputies cited eleven people at Steamboat Springs this week for
smoking marijuana on the ride up the mountain.

The busts occurred Thursday morning after an overnight dump of 14 inches of
snow that had the snowriders out early to look for powder stashes.

They don't call it the Ganjola for nuthin'. If it was due to smell,
they'd shut down the Mexican restaurant at the base. But what really
worries me is that they call 14" a "dump". What are *they* smokin'.

Have your safety meetings in the trees, pleez.

Offical RSA Director of Safety,
-klaus

Old December 14th 04, 10:58 PM
Sue

In message , lal_truckee
writes

"Yeah, sheriff, we KNOW it makes you stupid; otherwise you wouldn't
have caught us."

I say "leave the kids alone" - they could have been smoking tobacco,
which would be harmful to them, or they could have been drinking, which
would (potentially) been harmful to patrons. As it is, they were
hurting no one and IMO if you are hurting no one the "leave them alone"
rule trumps law and custom and everything else...

Smoking in gondolas is unsafe because if you accidentally set fire to
anything (your clothes for instance) you're stuck in a confined space
with a fire and no chance of escape until you get to the top.

Besides, the proper misuse of gondolas is for seasonal resort staff to
have sex in.

--
Sue ];(
Old December 15th 04, 05:21 AM
Lisa Horton

tm wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
Sue wrote:

Smoking in gondolas is unsafe because if you accidentally set fire to
anything (your clothes for instance) you're stuck in a confined space
with a fire and no chance of escape until you get to the top.

I hear that happens all the time. But seriously, how did you happen to
think of that? Here I thought *I* had a knack for thinking up
improbably weird situations.

Bongs should be required for just this eventuality.

So that's the reason for thost BIG water bladders

Lisa
Old December 15th 04, 11:39 AM
MH

"Jim D" wrote in message
[...]