Val Thorens update

Old December 3rd 04, 04:31 PM
Tom

Default Val Thorens update

Went to val thorens on sunday and just got back on thursday. Snow was awful
when I got there. Apparently it had been the worst for 15 years!! However,
when I woke up in the morning it was snowing and continued for 1 and a 1/2
days. So there is decent snow but more is still needed.

I would advise anyone to seriously question whether they should go early in
the season. The reason for this is that transport is pretty poor from all
airports to Val Thorens. Took me from 10am till 8pm to get to Val from
Geneva, including an 80 euro taxi ride to resort. Took me from 3.30 pm till
9:15 to get to Lyons airport from Val, which meant I missed my plane

Also early season in Val Thorens means minimal lifts. There were about 6/7
open when I was there, and someone told me the reason they dont open more is
cos most of the lift staff dont arrive till next monday (6th Dec). I was
there for 3 days and I have to say any more and I would have been bored of
doing the same slopes over and over.

Tom

Old December 3rd 04, 04:42 PM
Ace

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:31:33 -0000, "Tom" wrote:

I would advise anyone to seriously question whether they should go early in
the season. The reason for this is that transport is pretty poor from all
airports to Val Thorens. Took me from 10am till 8pm to get to Val from
Geneva, including an 80 euro taxi ride to resort. Took me from 3.30 pm till
9:15 to get to Lyons airport from Val, which meant I missed my plane

Sounds like pretty poor planning on both legs. Even in peak season
relying on public transport is going to be a very slow way of
transferring between airports and most resorts. The answer lies in
either hiring a car (what price two days extra on the slopes, eh?) or
picking a resort that _does_ have good regular links (or is close
enough to just get a taxi).

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old December 3rd 04, 05:08 PM
PG

"Ace" wrote in message
| On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:31:33 -0000, "Tom" wrote:
|
| I would advise anyone to seriously question whether they should go
early in
| the season. The reason for this is that transport is pretty poor from
all
| airports to Val Thorens. Took me from 10am till 8pm to get to Val
from
| Geneva, including an 80 euro taxi ride to resort. Took me from 3.30
pm till
| 9:15 to get to Lyons airport from Val, which meant I missed my plane

| Sounds like pretty poor planning on both legs. Even in peak season
| relying on public transport is going to be a very slow way of
| transferring between airports and most resorts. The answer lies in
| either hiring a car (what price two days extra on the slopes, eh?) or
| picking a resort that _does_ have good regular links (or is close
| enough to just get a taxi).

Agree entirely, for a long weekend hiring a car is the only sensible way
to go.

Pete
SNOWeSCAPE
http://bsm.alpeprovence.net

Old December 3rd 04, 09:09 PM
Champ

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:08:12 +0100, "PG"
wrote:

Agree entirely, for a long weekend hiring a car is the only sensible way
to go.

Unless you can pre-book a 'proper' airport transfer. I've done this a
few times between Geneva and Chamonix.
--
Champ
I don't know, but I've been told, never slow down, you never grow old
Old December 5th 04, 05:55 PM
Steve Haigh

wrote:

Agree entirely, for a long weekend hiring a car is the only sensible way
to go.

Unless you can pre-book a 'proper' airport transfer. I've done this a
few times between Geneva and Chamonix.

Agree with both points - car or taxi/minibus transfer is the best
solution, esp. for a w/e.

Out of interest who did you use for the transfer?
Old December 6th 04, 08:47 PM
Champ

wrote:

Agree entirely, for a long weekend hiring a car is the only sensible way
to go.

Unless you can pre-book a 'proper' airport transfer. I've done this a
few times between Geneva and Chamonix.

Agree with both points - car or taxi/minibus transfer is the best
solution, esp. for a w/e.

Out of interest who did you use for the transfer?

Well, when I've done Avoriaz for a long weekend, I've used
www.chaletsnowboard.co.uk, and the do their own transfers. I used to
know the founder, Ian Trotter, moderately well, but I've heard he's
sold up for this season. Not heard any reports about the new owners,
but the company has a great reputation.

When in Chamonix I either use www.mcnab.co.uk or www.huski.co.uk.
Both of these use the regular Chamonix transfer companies.

Huski are perhaps a little upmarket, and have 4 or 5 chalets now,
mostly in the Les Houche end of the valley. Run by Tim and Gabby
Newman, who've lived out there of over 10 years, they really know the
valley, and are incredibly helpful.

McNab are snowboard orientated (but cater for skiers - your money is
as good as anyones!) and have a single chalet in Argentiere. Run by
former British Champ (and BASI 1 ski instructor) Neil McNab and his
sister, they've been living in the valley for 3~4 years. Neil has
recently become a qualified Chamonix mountain guide (not easy - the
bloody exams are in French...).

I can highly recommend all these companies. Huski are particularly
well set up for weekend trips. Mention my name if you use them, eh
:-)

--
Neal Champion
Old December 7th 04, 09:06 AM
Tom

On the way there, to get from Moutiers to Val Thorens I used Edelweiss taxi.
She charged me 80 euros which I think is a pretty standard fare since I did
ring up a couple of other companies.

To get back I got a Trans Savoie bus from Val Thorens to Moutiers. They are
a subsidiary of Altibus I think and they charged 14 euros which I thought
was pretty good (well compared to the taxi at least).

Next time I definitely plan to get the Satobus from Lyons airpot....

Tom