any boot advice?

Old December 15th 03, 01:43 AM
ex

Default any boot advice?

Hello,

I have been having some boot problems lately. I bought a new pair of boots,
because I grew out of my old ones a bit ago. I ended up picking up a pair of
this years model of the Vans Millenium series. I tryed them on at the store
and I found them comfortable. But, when I got out to actually try them I
started to get some horrible pain on my feet.

I tried them for another 2 times, and I made a few ajustments and such, but
nothing helped. So, I ended up selling them. Now, I am wondering what to do
now? I feel a bit sketchy on buying off the net, so I'll probably go to a
shop or something. Does anyone have any advice? I just feel like I got
screwed, and I obviously don't look forward to getting screwed agian, lol..

I've only been snowboarding for about 3 years and only owned 2 pairs of
boots in that time frame. I would consider of buying a boot which I've
allready owned, but I couldn't find them anywhere.. I believe both of them
were discontinued models.

Thanks for any help..

Old December 15th 03, 09:01 PM
Arvin Chang

"ex" wrote in message ink.net...
Hello,

I tried them for another 2 times, and I made a few ajustments and such, but
nothing helped. So, I ended up selling them. Now, I am wondering what to do
now? I feel a bit sketchy on buying off the net, so I'll probably go to a
shop or something. Does anyone have any advice? I just feel like I got
screwed, and I obviously don't look forward to getting screwed agian, lol..

Thanks for any help..

Do you live in the States? If so, I highly recommend REI (just plugged
them in another post), because of their very good return policy -
where you can actually use the boots a few days and return them for a
full refund if you don't like them. I've done it twice already with
two pairs of boots and it's really nice to be able to try something
out without be afraid of wasting your money. The catch is tend sell
items at full price and have a limited selection. Also for most
people, you don't usually end up returning the goods unless it's
really a bad match (like with your boots). www.rei-outlet.com has some
good sales occasionally (extremely limited selection) and you still
can return any purchase to a store.

--Arvin
Old December 17th 03, 01:14 PM
Chet Hayes

I just bought a pair of VANS contra's from RDSshop online. They offer
free shipping if you spend enough and have I think a 14 day return for
refund policy. Great service, boots shipped right out.

I was a little reluctant to buy without trying them on too. However,
it does have some major advantages, one of which would have helped
you. Buying online allows you to put them on and wear them at home
for as long as you like to uncover any potential problems.

BTW, if you like a stiffer boot, the Contra's are awesome. Most
comfortable boot I've had by far. And they have the BOA cable/ratchet
lacing system. These boots just slip on and you tighten via the turn
knob ratchet. Unlike regular laces, there is no bunching of the lower
laces and they tighten very uniformly. A big plus, after a ride or
two, you can tighten them somemore in a few seconds. I've even done
it on the lift. When you're done, just release the ratchet and they
come off in a couple seconds. I'm totally impressed by BOA and I
think it will become the preferred system in a few years.
Old December 17th 03, 02:20 PM
toddjb

"ex" wrote in message ink.net...

I tried them for another 2 times, and I made a few ajustments and such, but
nothing helped. So, I ended up selling them. Now, I am wondering what to do
now? I feel a bit sketchy on buying off the net, so I'll probably go to a
shop or something. Does anyone have any advice?

Definitely buy boots from a local shop.

I'll buy board, bindings, gear, everything else from the net or resort
shops when traveling, but boots are one thing worth buying local. A
good shop will work with you on a pair of boots to get them to fit.

That means- heat molding, adding inserts, shaving off material where you
have pain, etc. The inserts may cost you, but most of the other is free
and part of the service that comes along with the purchase.

I had major problems with my thirtytwo boots this year. Felt great in
the shop, rode with them, horrible pain. Took them to the shop and they
totally fixed them up. Now they feel great.

Buy local.

-todd
Old December 19th 03, 07:50 PM
Ace

I'm in Colorado, and many of the resorts will let you rent boots alone
for 8 or 9 bucks. If a resort, or a sporting goods store with
rentals, has some boots your interested in, see if you can rent them
for a day. I have Vans Axiom boots for switch SI bindings and they're
great. I'm surprised your Vans were so painful.
Eric

Old March 16th 05, 03:12 AM
beekay beekay is offline
Junior Member

Unless you get the boot fitted as one of the other members posted, you will not get a perfect fit on the first several times out (maybe 8-10) as your foot heats up and manually fits your foot to the liner. My favorite burton Ruler SI's ( very stiff) took quite a while (about 10-11 full days out) to get them to fit just right. Every pair of boots that I have had to break in took this long. My teli boots broke in in about 2 days, since they were custom fitted. If you can have it done, fitting is the best option.

good luck
bk