Designer drug doping disaster?

Old October 28th 03, 05:53 PM
ted waldron

Default Designer drug doping disaster and the world series?

tm wrote:

The fires catch the overhanging roofline, right? Bob suggests the
house might not be as attractive, I think I could easily build an
attractive house without eaves. Its not like it rains there. Didn't
people build houses for centuries in southern ca without overhanging
eaves? Isn't that the beauty of the 'spanish' style adobe house, it
doesn't burn, it's cool in the summer and can be warmed in the winter?

Southern California gets annual rainfall around 10-15 inches. However,
most of the rain comes in about a week in late February/early March,
hence all those news stories about mudslides and homes going down the
hillside like it was on a innertube at a snowpark. Whether needs either
eaves or something to channel the water to either a gutter, or where i
grew up, a flood control plain.

I grew up, about 15 miles due south of this present Simi Valley Fire,
adjacent to the Ahmanson Ranch, on the Ventura/LA County line. I have
seen some wildfires and the curtain of glowing embers that they
entailed. and was down there for last nasty one, the Malibu/Calabasas
fire in 1993. I know right now, my family down there is on a search and
destroy mission for any Torrey pine needle and eucalyptus bark around
our house.

Isn't that the beauty of the 'spanish' style adobe house, it
doesn't burn, it's cool in the summer and can be warmed in the winter?

I believe it is true, if you live in Malibu or Santa Monica in the
summers, try living in an Adobe house in San Bernadino during the
summer, and you'll be longing for the summers of Tokyo in no time. San
Bernadino is an excellent place for solar cooking and sun brewed tea in
the summer.

Really enjoying your ongoing reporting of the fire, RH. Please keep at
it, it's compelling reading, this is the reason i read usenet.

yeah, glad that you are safe, and your family is fine.

Ted
Eucalyptus bushes are very cheap at the Southern California Nurseries
right now.

Old October 28th 03, 06:03 PM
Richard Henry

"ted waldron" wrote in message
Eucalyptus bushes are very cheap at the Southern California Nurseries
right now.

The fireman who moved in 2 doors up the street cut down on all the 30-foot
eucalyptus trees on his lot the week he moved in.

In a similar vein: I was discussing with a neighbor the other day whether
the destruction of so many homes will raise the value of the remaining lot
because of reduction in supply, or would there be a reduction in desire to
live in the area, thus lowering the demand and the resulting value.

Old October 28th 03, 09:29 PM
Alex Heney

Default Designer drug doping disaster?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:48:36 -0500, Walt wrote:

Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 04:17:41 GMT, "Scott Elliot"

What about World Championship Cricket or Rugby? There are never any
American teams included so how can it be World Championship?

I think your compatriots *currently* playing in the Rugby World Cup
might be a little aggrieved to hear you say that.

There are teams from every continent involved in that, so I think it
can genuinely be described as a *world* cup.

There's a team from Antartica? I thought there was too much [ob]snow to
play rugby there.

Duh!

I tend to forget that Antarctica is considered a continent.

OK, all of the "normally inhabited" continents. (I don't consider the
various research stations or whaling stations in Antarctica to class
as "normally inhabited").

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Hand me that crowbar... I must pry out this bullet.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old October 28th 03, 09:54 PM
Walt

Alex Heney wrote:
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:48:36 -0500, Walt wrote:

There's a team from Antartica? I thought there was too much [ob]snow to
play rugby there.

Duh!

I tend to forget that Antarctica is considered a continent.

OK, all of the "normally inhabited" continents. (I don't consider the
various research stations or whaling stations in Antarctica to class
as "normally inhabited").

And you obviously haven't met very many Austrailians, or you wouldn't
think of that continint as "normally" inhabited either.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 28th 03, 09:54 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:

There's a team from Antartica? I thought there was too much [ob]snow to
play rugby there.

Those clusters of boarders on the slopes aren't "Scrums!?"
What are they, then?

Remove the r.

--
//-Walt
//

Old October 28th 03, 10:25 PM
The Real Bev

Richard Henry wrote:

"tm" wrote:

Can't be that hard to build a wildfire-proof house.

Watching video of people going back in to their still-smoking homes, I was
reminded of the 50's bomb/fallout shelters. If you could survive 2 weeks
after a nuclear attack, you should be able to get through a few hours of
wildfire.

A good movie: 'Blast from the Past.' I only knew one person who built
a shelter. He was the director of the lab where husband and I worked
and he took a LOT of time off to supervise construction. He was really
an idiot.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 28th 03, 11:01 PM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

Richard Henry wrote:

"tm" wrote:

Can't be that hard to build a wildfire-proof house.

Watching video of people going back in to their still-smoking homes, I was
reminded of the 50's bomb/fallout shelters. If you could survive 2 weeks
after a nuclear attack, you should be able to get through a few hours of
wildfire.

A good movie: 'Blast from the Past.' I only knew one person who built
a shelter. He was the director of the lab where husband and I worked
and he took a LOT of time off to supervise construction. He was really
an idiot.

But, because the evril Russkis feared your husband's idiot boss emerging
from his shelter armed to the teeth, they forewent blowing us all up so
that we may now ski in peace and harmony, (as soon as the new snow comes
and covers all the ashes, and the melted lift towers are straightened)
so we must now all thank husband's idiot boss.

BTW, is our new oligarch going to transfer his skiing affections to a
California locale to support his state's economy, or is he going to
continue to burn his money in Idaho?

Old October 29th 03, 12:31 AM
The Real Bev

lal_truckee wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
A good movie: 'Blast from the Past.' I only knew one person who built
a shelter. He was the director of the lab where husband and I worked
and he took a LOT of time off to supervise construction. He was really
an idiot.

But, because the evril Russkis feared your husband's idiot boss emerging
from his shelter armed to the teeth, they forewent blowing us all up so
that we may now ski in peace and harmony, (as soon as the new snow comes
and covers all the ashes, and the melted lift towers are straightened)
so we must now all thank husband's idiot boss.

Well, the fact that the Sovs collapsed of their own accord is evidence
that they might have considered the jerk a force to be reckoned with.
It would be interesting to know how many wine cellars are buried all
over the country. I wonder how many people have discovered that they
had one only when they started to dig a swimming pool. Is it a plus or
a minus when you want to sell your house?

BTW, is our new oligarch going to transfer his skiing affections to a
California locale to support his state's economy, or is he going to
continue to burn his money in Idaho?

Why can't he do both? If I were an oligarch I'd want a skiboot-a-terre
wherever there was good snow, wouldn't you?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 29th 03, 01:57 AM
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

tm wrote:

Didn't
people build houses for centuries in southern ca without overhanging
eaves? Isn't that the beauty of the 'spanish' style adobe house, it
doesn't burn, it's cool in the summer and can be warmed in the winter?

That's right: adobe doesn't burn - it might melt in a lava flow, but it
won't burn. But it will dissolve in the next rain, which is why all
those LA 'spanish' style adobe houses are stucco over wood.

Nah, the stucco over adobe prevents melting and it would serve well in
SoCal. They don't get any more rain there then we do in NM, and my
adobe holds up well (see my previous post). Kinda 'spensive, though,
but you can get adobe bricks here any time. I can't figure out why it
isn't popular in SoCal. There are a number of historic adobe buildings
there.

Earthquakes? Distance to clay pits? One possible reason: people my
age grew up drawing (in school) stylized pictures of Mexican adobe
houses with behatted sleeping Mexicans and saguaro cacti. It never
occurred to us that we might actually LIVE in such a place, quaint
though it might be.

There are a number of older possibly-faux adobe houses around here, all
in expensive areas with expensive landscaping. Very nice. I do have to
wonder how you would hang shelves that have to hold something heavy,
though.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Arguing on the internet is like running a race in the Special