Designer drug doping disaster?

Old October 27th 03, 03:43 PM
Walt

Default Designer drug doping disaster?

Chuck wrote:

The rest of the world is welcome to field a Major League Baseball team.
They just choose not to. Is that our fault? ;-)

Neither does Detroit.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 27th 03, 04:02 PM
lal_truckee

Default Designer drug doping disaster and the world series?

Janne G wrote:

Is there something wrong with Norway? They at least have snow, do you?

No.

Would you please send us some? I've done my best to appease Scandi and
Ullr, but they're not listening to me. Please please put in a word to
the appropriate gods and have them send us some snow. Please.

Even the Alps have enough snow to host racing. What's up with that?

Old October 27th 03, 07:17 PM
Terje Mathisen

Chuck wrote:
The rest of the world is welcome to field a Major League Baseball team.
They just choose not to. Is that our fault? ;-)

Actually, it is: There's a US Supreme Court decision that the closed
professional leagues can stay closed without breaking the monopoly
regulations.

I.e. you can start your own series if you want to, but you cannot demand
to be accepted into the MLB (or NHL etc).

Anyway, I'm just a norwegian guy, so what do I know?

Terje

--
-

Old October 27th 03, 10:28 PM
Inger Skramstad Jørstad

"Terje Mathisen" skrev i melding
Anyway, I'm just a norwegian guy, so what do I know?

A lot.

Old October 28th 03, 09:00 AM
ant

Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 04:17:41 GMT, "Scott Elliot"
wrote:

While we are off topic on the World Series, how about the National
Hockey League? There are teams from both Canada and the US so which
Nation does the name refer to?

What about World Championship Cricket or Rugby? There are never any
American teams included so how can it be World Championship?

I think your compatriots *currently* playing in the Rugby World Cup
might be a little aggrieved to hear you say that.

Yes, and in a few days, they are going to play the French! The result,
sadly, is a foregone conclusion, the US's surprise win over giant-killers
Japan the other day not withstanding.
I reckon the French are a definite chance for the grand final, actually.
This might be their year.

There are teams from every continent involved in that, so I think it
can genuinely be described as a *world* cup.

And it isn't the fault of the Cricket authorities if the US decides
not to enter a team in that.

Pity. I wish they would...

ant

Old October 28th 03, 01:48 PM
Walt

Alex Heney wrote:
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 04:17:41 GMT, "Scott Elliot"

What about World Championship Cricket or Rugby? There are never any
American teams included so how can it be World Championship?

I think your compatriots *currently* playing in the Rugby World Cup
might be a little aggrieved to hear you say that.

There are teams from every continent involved in that, so I think it
can genuinely be described as a *world* cup.

There's a team from Antartica? I thought there was too much [ob]snow to
play rugby there.

And it isn't the fault of the Cricket authorities if the US decides
not to enter a team in that.

I'd be surprised if we (the US, that is) don't have a cricket team in
the world cup qualifiers. I'll be even more surprised if we make it
through the qualifiers to go to the world cup finals.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 28th 03, 02:12 PM
Richard Henry

"tm" wrote in message
Can't be that hard to build a wildfire-proof house.

Watching video of people going back in to their still-smoking homes, I was
reminded of the 50's bomb/fallout shelters. If you could survive 2 weeks
after a nuclear attack, you should be able to get through a few hours of
wildfire.

Old October 28th 03, 04:29 PM
lal_truckee

tm wrote:

Didn't
people build houses for centuries in southern ca without overhanging
eaves? Isn't that the beauty of the 'spanish' style adobe house, it
doesn't burn, it's cool in the summer and can be warmed in the winter?

That's right: adobe doesn't burn - it might melt in a lava flow, but it
won't burn. But it will dissolve in the next rain, which is why all
those LA 'spanish' style adobe houses are stucco over wood. Plus it's
hard to find people willing to stomp mud and straw into molds over a two
month summer stretch in LA these days.

ObSki: you need eaves so you can build up a kicker for those times you
ski the roof.

Old October 28th 03, 04:35 PM
Richard Henry

"tm" wrote in message
Richard Henry wrote:
tm wrote

Can't be that hard to build a wildfire-proof house.

Watching video of people going back in to their still-smoking homes, I

was
reminded of the 50's bomb/fallout shelters. If you could survive 2

weeks
after a nuclear attack, you should be able to get through a few hours of
wildfire.

The fires catch the overhanging roofline, right? Bob suggests the
house might not be as attractive, I think I could easily build an
attractive house without eaves. Its not like it rains there. Didn't
people build houses for centuries in southern ca without overhanging
eaves? Isn't that the beauty of the 'spanish' style adobe house, it
doesn't burn, it's cool in the summer and can be warmed in the winter?

I thought about this when we mpved into this house 10 years ago. The roof
is red cement tile, the walls are stucco. The only wood at risk is the
eaves and the garage doors. It should be possible to instlal sprinklers
under the eaves (although certain family members would have prabably set
them off by now with baseball/soccer/tennis balls).

Really enjoying your ongoing reporting of the fire, RH. Please keep at
it, it's compelling reading, this is the reason i read usenet.

I went down to the donut shop this morning, which is about a block from
where the flames stopped south of us. I walked up the road to look up the
canyon where the firestorm came down Sunday afternoon. I could only see a
couple hundred yards through the smoke. There was a dead rabbit lying
beside the road - apparently not burned or crushed at all.

I just went out on the horsetrail behind our house. I can barely make out
the ridge to the east through the lingering smoke. The winds have stopped
but the little hot-spot fires have not, so the smoke is just sitting on us.
The weather is supposed to change back to our normal strong westerlies this
afternoon, which is good news for clearing the smoke, but bad news for
controlling the fire since it will push the remaining flames into fresh
fuel.

The local news websites have started listing addresses of homes destroyed in
t he hardest hit areas. Some of the streets are just listed as "ALL"

http://www.scrippsranch.org/special/...dress_list.asp

Old October 28th 03, 04:45 PM
ted waldron

lal_truckee wrote:

tm wrote: Plus it's
hard to find people willing to stomp mud and straw into molds over a two
month summer stretch in LA these days.

Well, given the surge in house building, (according to this LA Times
article.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,4941527.story

I think a better answer is that many building codes were even tighten
even more after the Northridge Earthquake in Los Angeles County.

It is just building code triage, whether having bunch of houses in the
canyons burnt to the ground, or the whole city flattened.

ObSki: you need eaves so you can build up a kicker for those times you
ski the roof.

That is what the garage door is for...

Ted

The pool is the landing pad.