Designer drug doping disaster?

Old October 24th 03, 01:45 PM
Walt

Default Designer drug doping disaster?

Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

Forward in all directions

Can we take it to the Fridge?

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 24th 03, 02:29 PM
pigo

"Walt" wrote in message
Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US

that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

Don't forget that there are also no other teams anywhere else in the
world that can compete. Our Basketball championships are called "World
Championships" too. You've seen what happens when the rest of the world
plays our basketball players. At this point I'd say that "World Series"
is legit. I don't care if the, Scottish for example, want to call their
log tossing thing a world championship. It probably would be if they're
the only ones tossing logs.

Great Series so far btw.

pigo

Old October 24th 03, 09:44 PM
Walt

pigo wrote:
"Walt" wrote
Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US

that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

Don't forget that there are also no other teams anywhere else in the
world that can compete. Our Basketball championships are called "World
Championships" too. You've seen what happens when the rest of the world
plays our basketball players. At this point I'd say that "World Series"
is legit. I don't care if the, Scottish for example, want to call their
log tossing thing a world championship. It probably would be if they're
the only ones tossing logs.

Granted, Baseball is mostly a US sport, but I'd be interested in seeing
a series between the winner of the World Series and the Japanese
champion. I don't think the result would be a foregone conclusion.

To take another tack, in most sports that have a World Cup countries
field a national team of players from that country, even if those
players play professionally for a team outside their country of origin.
If we did it that way, you'd probably see the Hondouran team in the
finals. Maybe against the Cubans.

--
//-Walt
//
Old October 25th 03, 12:49 AM
Tony Curran

It couldn't even be called the North American Series - there aren't any
Mexican based teams...

Tony
Ottawa

Old October 25th 03, 01:08 AM
The Real Bev

Janne G wrote:

pigo wrote:

At least one of the players in the current World Series are scheduled to
testify before some sort of Senate committee about these. They talked
about it a little bit last night. There were something on the order of
20 players in the 4 major US professional sports set to testify. They
mentioned some from Baseball and Football but I don't know who.

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

"We are the world...." Stevie Wonder and a whole lot of other singers
said so, so it must be true.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old October 25th 03, 01:10 AM
The Real Bev

Walt wrote:

Janne G wrote:

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

'Cause it sounds more impressive that way. The North American Series
just doesn't have the same ring.

How about "Pacific Rim/Hispanic Series?"

Old October 25th 03, 01:54 AM
pigo

"Walt" wrote in message
pigo wrote:
"Walt" wrote
Janne G wrote:

[...]

I don't think it would be as one sided as basketball has turned out to
be but I would bet lot's on the USAians.

To take another tack, in most sports that have a World Cup countries
field a national team of players from that country, even if those
players play professionally for a team outside their country of

origin.
If we did it that way, you'd probably see the Hondouran team in the
finals. Maybe against the Cubans.

.........and IF the queen had balls she'd be king.

Old October 25th 03, 04:03 AM
Scott Elliot

"Janne G" wrote in message
pigo wrote:

At least one of the players in the current World Series are scheduled to
testify before some sort of Senate committee about these. They talked
about it a little bit last night. There were something on the order of
20 players in the 4 major US professional sports set to testify. They
mentioned some from Baseball and Football but I don't know who.

Why is it called the "World Series", it is only Canada and the US that
participating?

My wife worked with American soldiers stationed in Germany. When they
talked about "Going back to the World" they meant the United States. That
does not include Canada.

;)

Scott from Canada - Out of this World!!!

Old October 25th 03, 04:17 AM
Scott Elliot

While we are off topic on the World Series, how about the National Hockey
League? There are teams from both Canada and the US so which Nation does
the name refer to?

What about World Championship Cricket or Rugby? There are never any
American teams included so how can it be World Championship?

Australia is welcome to host the World Championship for Australian Rules
Football if they want. No one else is insane enough to participate.
(Unless South Africa or New Zealand get a little carried away.)

Scott Elliot
http://www3.telus.net/selliot/