Waxing workbench

Old October 7th 09, 03:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Default Waxing workbench--camera commets

pigo wrote:
On Oct 7, 8:05 am, downhill wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

I try to pay attention to techie type threads.
Been testing this new camera with 3 axis accelerometers and GPS
for speed. It weighs 23 grams and slightly longer that a pack of
100's. But it shows speed and forces generated as a overlay on
video. Been testing it on cars and the video and data is great,
can not wait to test it when ski racing. The one problem with
camera lens and high humidity days.

I am very curious as to the G forces generated in a turn when
skiing, very interested in determining how accurate it is. As we
do not mount accelerometers loosely it is in a fixed position
mounted 90 degrees to the linear one. Speed should be some what
accurate.

http://www.smartycam.com/

The camera looks brilliant, exactly what I want, then I eventually
found a price perhaps I'll wait a bit.

Yes
It is a steep one.
They just released it I think there is less than a hundred in the
states, they are selling them in europe but there doing a bunch of
upgrades on firmware.

But a chase cam with modules to do same thing is about 800 american
so this is not that much more expensive.

I am waiting for the CAN bus interface that will let me overlay data
from my bmw it plugs into diagnostic connector and pulls out data
like rpm and throttle position- Hide quoted text -

Hey! Isn't this where "jeff davis" jumps in and makes some kind of
rediculous assertion?

Wouldn't know, I got bored with him too

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 7th 09, 08:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Oct 7, 8:15*am, "MoonMan"
wrote:
pigo wrote:
On Oct 7, 8:05 am, downhill wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

[...]

But you didn't get tired of Dickless Bob Thompson, eh? The deranged,
brain damaged drunk who repeatedly accuses me of molesting children,
or makes sick jokes about rape, or.....hell, is simply one of the
biggest assholes ever to post to RSA.
Knew you were a pathetic, laughable freak, but I thought better of
you.
Thanks for ****ing yourself, idiot.
Old October 7th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Oct 7, 8:04*am, pigo wrote:
On Oct 7, 8:05*am, downhill wrote:

MoonMan wrote:
downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
*downhill wrote:

[...]

Yeah, like inviting you to show up at the SLC airport, and you peeing
your pants and running?
Ah, well. At least Jeff can spell ridiculous, you ridiculous
dumb****.
Old October 7th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
downhill wrote:

I'm kidding, that looks super cool. In order to get "accurate" G force
information do you think it matters where and how you affix to your body?

Yes it matters, in the karts we get a higher g-force reading when the
accelerometer is placed under the faring verses the on the floor.
The recommended place is in the center of gravity and lowest in the car
as possible. One car I run the logging unit with the axis swapped
because in that formula car it interferes with him sitting. In the
software setup I swap the x and y axis. Since you build track maps based
on speed and lateral g-force it looks pretty funny when it shows a curve
on a straight section of the track or braking after a turn. Spend much
of my times chasing variable names as the two major data acquisition
suppliers Pi & motec are from UK and DownUnder are very creative in the
choice of variable names.

In the context of G force accuracy the amount of knowledge gleamed from
the process depends on your method of analysis, if you just look for big
numbers you might be disappointed seems often that trends become more
useful. Or it could turn out all crap because it is a 3 axis
accelerometer and in most automobile cases the z axis is not present to
any degree, but in ski racing the z axis is very present and a component
of your speed

I don't pretend to know anything about this, but I wonder how much the
skilled skier would "dampen" (and I use the word "dampen" casually) the
forces in the upper body vs at the ski.
Old October 7th 09, 10:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

[...]

Substantially. But the G forces at the ski are somewhat meaningless. What really
matters is the G force of the center of mass of the skier and all his gear. The
extreme G's as the skies bounce over rough texture don't significantly affect
the directional changes of the skier as they average out over time.

Old October 8th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

I don't pretend to know anything about this, but I wonder how much the
skilled skier would "dampen" (and I use the word "dampen" casually) the
forces in the upper body vs at the ski.

It's DAMP in this context, unless the skier is actually wetting his pants,
and
that's what knees are for.

Look, there's only one way to settle this war of terminology and that is
to bring in an expert in MA* (*Motion Analysis) and have him clear this
up straight away. Don't think I won't do it!
Old October 8th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Oct 7, 8:19*pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
*The Real Bev wrote:

I don't pretend to know anything about this, but I wonder how much the
skilled skier would "dampen" (and I use the word "dampen" casually) the
forces in the upper body vs at the ski.

It's DAMP in this context, unless the skier is actually wetting his pants,
and
that's what knees are for.

Look, there's only one way to settle this war of terminology and that is
to bring in an expert in MA* (*Motion Analysis) and have him clear this
up straight away. *Don't think I won't do it!

Mr. Physics?
Old October 8th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article
,

*The Real Bev wrote:

I don't pretend to know anything about this, but I wonder how much the
skilled skier would "dampen" (and I use the word "dampen" casually) the
forces in the upper body vs at the ski.

It's DAMP in this context, unless the skier is actually wetting his pants,
and
that's what knees are for.

Look, there's only one way to settle this war of terminology and that is
to bring in an expert in MA* (*Motion Analysis) and have him clear this
up straight away. *Don't think I won't do it!

Mr. Physics?

Oh yeah. I'll do it too. All I need to do is utter a couple of key
phrases and "POOF!"
Old October 8th 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

The Real Bev wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

I try to pay attention to techie type threads.
Been testing this new camera with 3 axis accelerometers and GPS
for speed. It weighs 23 grams and slightly longer that a pack of
100's. But it shows speed and forces generated as a overlay on
video. Been testing it on cars and the video and data is great,
can not wait to test it when ski racing. The one problem with
camera lens and high humidity days.

I am very curious as to the G forces generated in a turn when
skiing, very interested in determining how accurate it is. As we
do not mount accelerometers loosely it is in a fixed position
mounted 90 degrees to the linear one. Speed should be some what
accurate. http://www.smartycam.com/

The camera looks brilliant, exactly what I want, then I eventually
found a price perhaps I'll wait a bit.

What was it? I got tired of looking.

I'm in the UK, so I got GBP 695 or EUR 749 so at current rates that's just
over $1000

ouch

Old October 8th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

MoonMan wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
MoonMan wrote:

found a price perhaps I'll wait a bit.
What was it? I got tired of looking.

I'm in the UK, so I got GBP 695 or EUR 749 so at current rates that's just
over $1000

ouch

list is 995 over here

Waxing on TV... [email protected] Nordic Skiing 4 March 10th 06 11:56 PM
waxing don martin Nordic Skiing 5 March 4th 05 09:31 PM
waxing broady Snowboarding 2 February 13th 05 05:44 PM
Waxing Help Wile E. Coyote Nordic Skiing 8 December 27th 04 04:01 AM
Ski waxing JP European Ski Resorts 7 March 5th 04 01:02 AM