Waxing workbench

Old October 6th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default Waxing workbench--camera commets

downhill wrote:
I was
thinking that a super-g or downhill would generate the greater G's.

I recall reading, years ago, a study (probably a report on a study, not
the actual scientific journal entry) where the investigators
instrumented numerous athletes in different sports, and found that the
highest acceleration among all sports were GS skiers; both instantaneous
AND sustained. That is the force was highest and that the force was
sustained at that highest level longer than other sport sustained their
maximums. They included all the typical sports but also had things like
power lifting IIRC.

If you wanted to follow up, start with the papers of Prof. George
Twardokens at Univ. Nevada (yes, the father of US World Cupper Eva
Twardokens.) Twardokens pere has been doing skiing physics and
engineering for decades - great papers. Probably find references to the
above in the bibliographies.
Old October 6th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

Default Waxing workbench

In article
,
twobuddha wrote:

On Oct 5, 5:13*pm, downhill wrote:
Norm wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Norm wrote:
"Doonks" wrote in message
another thread destroyed by insanity
Perfect example. Use your killfile. My newsreader shows 7 articles in
this thread, every one of them on topic. Some more interesting and
helpful than others but every one on topic.
I saw 6 where you saw 7. It sure would be nice if the remaining enablers
killfiled him.

Either your server is slow or you've killed someone who I haven"t. I'm
guessing it's Downhill.. He does respond to Scott way too often, but I
have't killed him -so far- because he does talk skiing once in a while.

Once every 4 or 5 months if he hits a nerve, but I was on topic with
that posting. Actually I try to remind Alan baker he needs any other
hobby....- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I would describe Baker's obsession as a transference
fixation.

And I would describe that "diagnosis" as gibberish.
Old October 6th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
downhill wrote:
[...]

That would make sense, but I was thinking more about lateral G force.
I will follow up on that if I start to push ski racing products, which I
hope to do. My reading list is so long now I can not afford to deviate
from it.

But I thank you for the information, it will get filed
Old October 7th 09, 02:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Oct 6, 4:13*pm, Dave Cartman wrote:
In article
,

Norm wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
Norm wrote:
"Doonks" wrote in message
another thread destroyed by insanity
Perfect example. Use your killfile. My newsreader shows 7 articles in
this thread, every one of them on topic. Some more interesting and
helpful than others but every one on topic.
I saw 6 where you saw 7. It sure would be nice if the remaining enablers
killfiled him.

Either your server is slow or you've killed someone who I haven"t. I'm
guessing it's Downhill.. He does respond to Scott way too often, but I
have't killed him -so far- because he does talk skiing once in a while.

Once every 4 or 5 months if he hits a nerve, but I was on topic with
that posting. Actually I try to remind Alan baker he needs any other
hobby....- Hide quoted text -

Actually, I would describe Baker's obsession as a transference
fixation.

And I would describe that "diagnosis" as gibberish.- Hide quoted text -

Only gibberish if you are ignorant and stupid, Dave. If you had the
knowledge and understanding of human behavior I do, you wouldn't make
such a stupid, ignorant statement.
Allow me to diagnose you. You are an asshole. A coward. A freak.
Technical terms you might understand.
psychopath. You encourage mentally ill stalkers to continue their
harassment, and feed their delusions. What makes you even more
despicable is that you enjoy doing so. Psychopathic behavior.
Typical Dickless Dave.

Old October 7th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
downhill wrote:

I try to pay attention to techie type threads.
Been testing this new camera with 3 axis accelerometers and GPS for
speed. It weighs 23 grams and slightly longer that a pack of 100's.
But it shows speed and forces generated as a overlay on video.
Been testing it on cars and the video and data is great, can not wait to
test it when ski racing. The one problem with camera lens and high
humidity days.

I am very curious as to the G forces generated in a turn when skiing,
very interested in determining how accurate it is. As we do not mount
accelerometers loosely it is in a fixed position mounted 90 degrees to
the linear one. Speed should be some what accurate.

http://www.smartycam.com/

Is it an iPhone?

I'm kidding, that looks super cool. In order to get "accurate" G force
information do you think it matters where and how you affix to your body?
Old October 7th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

In article ,
"Bob F" wrote:

downhill wrote:
Norm wrote:
"downhill" wrote in message
Norm wrote:
.

Once every 4 or 5 months if he hits a nerve, but I was on topic
with that posting. Actually I try to remind Alan baker he needs any
other hobby....

Correct and agreed. You were one of the 8 I counted who were on
topic. Maybe Bobs server is just slow.

I try to pay attention to techie type threads.
Been testing this new camera with 3 axis accelerometers and GPS for
speed. It weighs 23 grams and slightly longer that a pack of 100's.
But it shows speed and forces generated as a overlay on video.
Been testing it on cars and the video and data is great, can not wait
to test it when ski racing. The one problem with camera lens and high
humidity days.

I am very curious as to the G forces generated in a turn when skiing,
very interested in determining how accurate it is. As we do not mount
accelerometers loosely it is in a fixed position mounted 90 degrees to
the linear one. Speed should be some what accurate.

http://www.smartycam.com/

I can't wait to see the incredible G forces developed in 360 spins. :-)

Damn you Bob! Damn you to heck! This was a perfectly good conversation
too
Old October 7th 09, 01:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

[...]

Yes it matters, in the karts we get a higher g-force reading when the
accelerometer is placed under the faring verses the on the floor.
The recommended place is in the center of gravity and lowest in the car
as possible. One car I run the logging unit with the axis swapped
because in that formula car it interferes with him sitting. In the
software setup I swap the x and y axis. Since you build track maps based
on speed and lateral g-force it looks pretty funny when it shows a curve
on a straight section of the track or braking after a turn. Spend much
of my times chasing variable names as the two major data acquisition
suppliers Pi & motec are from UK and DownUnder are very creative in the
choice of variable names.

In the context of G force accuracy the amount of knowledge gleamed from
the process depends on your method of analysis, if you just look for big
numbers you might be disappointed seems often that trends become more
useful. Or it could turn out all crap because it is a 3 axis
accelerometer and in most automobile cases the z axis is not present to
any degree, but in ski racing the z axis is very present and a component
of your speed
Old October 7th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

I try to pay attention to techie type threads.
Been testing this new camera with 3 axis accelerometers and GPS for
speed. It weighs 23 grams and slightly longer that a pack of 100's.
But it shows speed and forces generated as a overlay on video.
Been testing it on cars and the video and data is great, can not
wait to test it when ski racing. The one problem with camera lens
and high humidity days.

I am very curious as to the G forces generated in a turn when
skiing, very interested in determining how accurate it is. As we do
not mount accelerometers loosely it is in a fixed position mounted
90 degrees to the linear one. Speed should be some what accurate.

http://www.smartycam.com/

The camera looks brilliant, exactly what I want, then I eventually found a
price perhaps I'll wait a bit.

--
Chris *:-)

Rule 1 - Me first
Rule 2 - Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!
Rule 3 - Skis at the bottom, Head at the top!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old October 7th 09, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

MoonMan wrote:
downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
downhill wrote:

I try to pay attention to techie type threads.
Been testing this new camera with 3 axis accelerometers and GPS for
speed. It weighs 23 grams and slightly longer that a pack of 100's.
But it shows speed and forces generated as a overlay on video.
Been testing it on cars and the video and data is great, can not
wait to test it when ski racing. The one problem with camera lens
and high humidity days.

I am very curious as to the G forces generated in a turn when
skiing, very interested in determining how accurate it is. As we do
not mount accelerometers loosely it is in a fixed position mounted
90 degrees to the linear one. Speed should be some what accurate.

http://www.smartycam.com/

The camera looks brilliant, exactly what I want, then I eventually found a
price perhaps I'll wait a bit.

Yes
It is a steep one.
They just released it I think there is less than a hundred in the
states, they are selling them in europe but there doing a bunch of
upgrades on firmware.

But a chase cam with modules to do same thing is about 800 american so
this is not that much more expensive.

I am waiting for the CAN bus interface that will let me overlay data
from my bmw it plugs into diagnostic connector and pulls out data like
rpm and throttle position
Old October 7th 09, 03:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Oct 7, 8:05*am, downhill wrote:
MoonMan wrote:
downhill wrote:
Dave Cartman wrote:
In article ,
*downhill wrote:

[...]

rpm and throttle position- Hide quoted text -

Hey! Isn't this where "jeff davis" jumps in and makes some kind of
rediculous assertion?

Waxing on TV... [email protected] Nordic Skiing 4 March 10th 06 10:56 PM
waxing don martin Nordic Skiing 5 March 4th 05 08:31 PM
waxing broady Snowboarding 2 February 13th 05 04:44 PM
Waxing Help Wile E. Coyote Nordic Skiing 8 December 27th 04 03:01 AM
Ski waxing JP European Ski Resorts 7 March 5th 04 12:02 AM