Can NNN BC boots be used with plain NNN bindings?

Old November 15th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Can NNN BC boots be used with plain NNN bindings?

I'm just getting started into XC skiing to take the place of my
cycling. I was going to start last year, just never got around to
getting all the equipment. At one point I picked up some Alpina BC
100 (?) boots for $8.00 at MC Sporting Goods. I just got some XC skis
from Ebay that came with NNN bindings. I tried pushing the boot into
the binding by hand but the boot gets caught up against a solid piece
of black rubber just in front of the locking mechanism on the NNN
bindings. So, like the title said, are NNN BC boots compatible with
the plain NNN bindings?

*search didn't reveal the answer (that I could find anyway).
Old November 15th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article , wrote:
The short answer is no. I think it's partly the wider bar and the
bindings' different wider boot rail pattern, allowing for better
steering.

NNN-BC boots also don't have grooves in the heel, so that's
not going to work, either.

Old November 15th 08, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Nov 14, 7:50*pm, wrote:
I'm just getting started into XC skiing to take the place of my
cycling. *I was going to start last year, just never got around to
getting all the equipment. *At one point I picked up some Alpina BC
100 (?) boots for $8.00 at MC Sporting Goods. *I just got some XC skis
from Ebay that came with NNN bindings. *I tried pushing the boot into
the binding by hand but the boot gets caught up against a solid piece
of black rubber just in front of the locking mechanism on the NNN
bindings. *So, like the title said, are NNN BC boots compatible with
the plain NNN bindings?

*search didn't reveal the answer (that I could find anyway).

As others have replied, the NNN-BC boots are not compatible with NNN2
bindings.

You should also know that the NNN bindings are past the NNN2 models
with newer NNN3s and NNN4s. I understand from NNN friends that you
can sort of force NNN2 boots into NNN3 bindings. Similarly, the
Solomon Profil-BC boots are not compatible with the single bar Profil
bindings. And the single bar Profile boots don't work with the Pilot
bindings although my Pilot boots fit my Profil bindings.

But the bigger comment that hasn't been made is new to the sport
skiers are poorly advised buying used gear on their own because
equipment fit will make a big difference in your first on-snow
experiences. If skis are too stiff, you will not grip and if too
soft, you will not glide very well.
Old November 16th 08, 06:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

What about NNN2 boots with NNN touring bindings? At last week's swap I
bought a pair of Alfa classical boots to go with some Revolutions that
have NNN touring (they're useful for teaching kids). I checked the
clamp in, but didn't really notice until I got home that the boots
don't just naturally sit down on the bindings, like Salomons do, but
need a foot inside to get the heel down. A shop I asked didn't know if
that was the NNN way. It also happens with the same boots and NNN3
bindings.

Gene

Old November 18th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mitch

On Nov 15, 11:49 am, wrote:

You should also know that the NNN bindings are past the NNN2 models
with newer NNN3s and NNN4s. I understand from NNN friends that you
can sort of force NNN2 boots into NNN3 bindings.

No forcing is necessary. NNN2 boots are fully compatible with NNN2,
3, and 4 bindings. In fact I don't believe there even is such a thing
as a "NNN3 boot". Current boot soles are the same as NNN2. And with
a special replacement flexor they can also work in NNN1 bindings. I
still have an ancient pair of NNN1 bindings on one set of rollerskis,
and they work fine with my NNN2 boots.

-Mitch
Old November 18th 08, 01:32 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Mitch

On Nov 16, 2:30 am, wrote:
What about NNN2 boots with NNN touring bindings? At last week's swap I
bought a pair of Alfa classical boots to go with some Revolutions that
have NNN touring (they're useful for teaching kids). I checked the
clamp in, but didn't really notice until I got home that the boots
don't just naturally sit down on the bindings, like Salomons do, but
need a foot inside to get the heel down. A shop I asked didn't know if
that was the NNN way. It also happens with the same boots and NNN3
bindings.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. Is it an NNN1 or NNN2
touring binding? As Melinda mentioned the easiest way to tell is
whether the grooves extend full length from toe to heel (NNN2 or
later), or if they end mid-foot and the heel plate is old style non-
grooved (NNN1).

If you have an NNN2 boot and a NNN2 touring binding then they will
work fine together. I have the touring binding on a set of cheap
heavy no-wax skis and they work fine with all my racing boots, which
is good because that's all I have. If you have an NNN1 touring
binding then it can be made to work with an NNN2 boot if you can find
a pair of the special convertor flexors that were available during the
early NNN2 years. Might be hard to find nowadays. These work fine
for skating but not so good for classic. Due to the change in
dimensions there is not quite enough freedom of movement at the hinge-
point for good classic striding with the NNN2 boot/NNN1 binding
combination.

If you have a compatible binding and you're having to force the heel
down, then there is a misalignment somewhere. Normally I would
suspect the heel plate is not in line with the front of the binding,
indicating a sloppy binding mounting job. But if you experienced it
on two different bindings then perhaps something is wrong with the
boot. I'd suggest grabbing another pair of boots to check the
bindings with first.

-Mitch
Old November 18th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Thanks, Mitch. These touring bindings have full length grooves, with a
break in the middle, as do the Alfa boots, which also seem to say NNN
II on the sole. The problem is the front rails of the bindings seem to
be higher than the boot grooves are deep, thus holding the boot up at
the ball of the foot, and leaving the heel about 1" in the air
(unweighted). It does the same with the R3 manual binding. I'll check
at a local shop, since they need the heel plates adjusted and a riser
inserted on one ski.

Gene

Old November 18th 08, 02:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Melinda Shore

In article , wrote:
Thanks, Mitch. These touring bindings have full length grooves, with a
break in the middle, as do the Alfa boots, which also seem to say NNN
II on the sole. The problem is the front rails of the bindings seem to
be higher than the boot grooves are deep, thus holding the boot up at
the ball of the foot, and leaving the heel about 1" in the air
(unweighted). It does the same with the R3 manual binding. I'll check
at a local shop, since they need the heel plates adjusted and a riser
inserted on one ski.

I once bought a pair of cheap-ass NNN-BC boots and the bar
in one boot wasn't perfectly perpendicular to the rails and
not quite parallel to the ground so while the thing was
basically usable they were very, very unpleasant to ski in.