Apres ski Val Thorens compared to Austira

Old October 24th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Lars

Default Apres ski Val Thorens compared to Austira

Hello,

I have been in Val Thorens a few times, but that was about 7-8 years ago.
Has there changed anything about the apres ski?

I now am used to Austria's apres ski and especially Saalbach/St
Anton/Ischgl so compared to them, how's the apres ski in Val Thorens now?
Is it still mainly lively at night and not in the afternoon?

Old October 24th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:18:32 +0200, Lars wrote:

Hello,

I have been in Val Thorens a few times, but that was about 7-8 years ago.
Has there changed anything about the apres ski?

I now am used to Austria's apres ski and especially Saalbach/St
Anton/Ischgl so compared to them, how's the apres ski in Val Thorens now?
Is it still mainly lively at night and not in the afternoon?

Yes. You don't really get the 4pm onwards on-the-hill apres-ski
anywhere in France; the french just don't go in for that sort of thing
and the foreigners mostly want to get back into town before hitting
the bars. There's a fairly decent crack available in VT from early
evening, in (for instance) the Frog & Rosbif and a couple of other
bars at the top level, but mostly, as you suggest, it's more about
night-life.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 25th 07, 02:46 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
@elgy(nati-spam).org.uk

Ace wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:18:32 +0200, Lars wrote:

Hello,

I have been in Val Thorens a few times, but that was about 7-8 years ago.
Has there changed anything about the apres ski?

I now am used to Austria's apres ski and especially Saalbach/St
Anton/Ischgl so compared to them, how's the apres ski in Val Thorens now?
Is it still mainly lively at night and not in the afternoon?

Yes. You don't really get the 4pm onwards on-the-hill apres-ski
anywhere in France; the french just don't go in for that sort of thing
and the foreigners mostly want to get back into town before hitting
the bars. There's a fairly decent crack available in VT from early
evening, in (for instance) the Frog & Rosbif and a couple of other
bars at the top level, but mostly, as you suggest, it's more about
night-life.

Um! Late one afternoon last spring I loitered in the Arpette on the
slopes in Les Arcs waiting for the pistes to clear for one final blast.
We were moved on by the pistuers at about 18:30. They clearly do not
relish the thought of drunks falling down the piste unsupervised.

Did someone not kill themselves last year in St. Anton coming down
intoxicatd from the Krazy Kangaroo or similar.

John
Old October 25th 07, 03:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:46:36 +0100, "
" wrote:

Ace wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 18:18:32 +0200, Lars wrote:

I now am used to Austria's apres ski and especially Saalbach/St
Anton/Ischgl so compared to them, how's the apres ski in Val Thorens now?
Is it still mainly lively at night and not in the afternoon?

Yes. You don't really get the 4pm onwards on-the-hill apres-ski
anywhere in France; the french just don't go in for that sort of thing
and the foreigners mostly want to get back into town before hitting
the bars.

Um! Late one afternoon last spring I loitered in the Arpette on the
slopes in Les Arcs waiting for the pistes to clear for one final blast.

Well yes, there are places where this will happen, but...

We were moved on by the pistuers at about 18:30. They clearly do not
relish the thought of drunks falling down the piste unsupervised.

.... they usually want to kick you out and go home.

Did someone not kill themselves last year in St. Anton coming down
intoxicatd from the Krazy Kangaroo or similar.

Probably. Oh, and it's Krazy Kangaru, IIRC.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old October 26th 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Lars

" wrote:

Ace wrote:
[...]

Yes true. But that person did not went down the regular "Mooserwirt"
piste, but went direction Nasserein.

Old October 26th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

" wrote:

Did someone not kill themselves last year in St. Anton coming down
intoxicatd from the Krazy Kangaroo or similar.

Probably. Oh, and it's Krazy Kangaru, IIRC.

Yes true. But that person did not went down the regular "Mooserwirt"
piste, but went direction Nasserein.

Well I guess if you're ****ed it could happen.

My main memories of the ****heads is watching tham ski across the road
at the bottom of the slope having failed to come to a stop on the
piste. This'd be about 2230 or later, after they'd been kicked out,
presumably having been drinking since 5-ish.

And no, there was no snow on the road, and yes, quite a few of them
didn't make it across.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)