Waxing workbench

Old August 24th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
RogueIT

Default Waxing workbench

I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Thanks,
Rogue
Old August 24th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

RogueIT wrote:
I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

I am not fortunate enough to take trips that are long enough that my
skis need a hot wax before I go back home. I haven't found seven or
eight days without a wax to be a problem.

I do sometimes carry a can of TOKO paint-on wax and put that on at the
end of the day. Unless you're racing and trying to eke out the extra
millisecond, it's good enough for between-wax applications.

Or you can just pay the $20 or so for a wax and tune.

//Walt
Old August 24th 09, 07:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

RogueIT wrote:
I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Layout newspaper (if such still exists - you may need a small tarp) and
span the skis from chair to chair, or chair to bed/table/tv
stand/dresser; plug in iron and wax away. No problem - why make this
stuff difficult?

If you meant base work, ptex, filing etc, my ski clamps would clamp onto
the metal railings of the cheap motels I always preferred on ski trips
(so as to minimize cost to time on skis ratio.) Made a fine ad-hoc work
bench for last minute race tuning.
Old August 24th 09, 10:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

RogueIT wrote:
I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Thanks,
Rogue

I travel with the whole ski tool kit and spares binding & baskets.
Swix table and clamps and a light also a tool maker magnifying glasses.
I also have a tarp since wax & metal shaving on bathroom floor is a
hazard. Plus you get less complaints from hotel owner when you ask and
they see the layout

I did acquire a wooden table that used broom sticks for legs, was not
sturdy enough for big ski's, 212 or 195's.

Or course I might be a bad example of a person to ask, as I carry 2 bins
of tools 3 bins of spares electrical and three laptops and a color
laser printer when I go to the race track. I spend most of my time
looking at squiggly colored lines, if not chasing shorts.

I have found that if the equipment is not professional you will pay for
it. One way or the other. I do not mean that you must pay for something
to be good but you need to spend the time to do it right if you
construct it, measure 6 times before you cut. I would like to make a
table/clamp setup that attaches to my trailer hitch body
Old August 25th 09, 01:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ[_2_]

"RogueIT" wrote in message
I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Thanks,
Rogue

I use two chairs or a chair & the bed and place a used sheet under the skis
to catch the wax.
I do not scrape the wax off I let the first run do that for me, work every
time and saves time.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old August 25th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Aug 24, 6:43*pm, "JQ" wrote:
"RogueIT" wrote in message

I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Thanks,
Rogue

I *use two chairs or a chair & the bed and place a used sheet under the skis
to catch the wax.
I do not scrape the wax off I let the first run do that for me, work every
time and saves time.

Too damn much work. Carry enough gear as it is.
I take along one of those handy dandy edge tuners, a stone, a small
file, and some toko fluid wax, but rarely seem to need to touch my
skis up (taking three pair tends to help). End up using the stuff to
help others out when I get tired of waiting on them, or notice they
are bouncing all over the harder snow.
If I really get desperate, most hills have a handy on mountain
entrepreneur who will toss a wax job on for five bucks or so.
Don't remember the last time I actually used one, but I sure have
dragged people there after they come to complete stops on cat tracks
while I merrily sail along.

Two Buddha

Vail: Waxless skiing
Old August 25th 09, 11:18 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 11:17:33 -0700 (PDT), RogueIT
wrote this crap:

I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Thanks,
Rogue

First of all. Wax your skis after you ski. The wax is to protect
your base. On the first run your wax is all rubbed off.

Knowing that, you should realize that wax is not important to the
actual skiing. I have always used Turtle Wax and never had any
problems. Wax on. Wax off.

And vote for Palin-Ahhnold in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old August 25th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

wrote this crap:

I like to wax my skis in the middle of the trip and often I do not
have a place to work.
Can you all tell me what you put your skis on to wax them?
I have seen stands and clamps, but didn't know if some people had a
MacGyver type workbench they throw together.

Thanks,
Rogue

First of all. *Wax your skis after you ski. *The wax is to protect
your base. *On the first run your wax is all rubbed off.

You're confusing ski wax with the bikini wax you use on your ass, so
Bubba doesn't complain that boning you is like ****ing a monkey. A
very ugly monkey. Bev Ashley ugly.
Damn, you're an ignorant dumb****

Knowing that, you should realize that wax is not important to the
actual skiing. *I have always used Turtle Wax and never had any
problems. *Wax on. *Wax off.

You'd have problems if you were a good enough skier to notice the
difference.

Two Buddha

Vail: Wax jobs on the pow.
Old August 25th 09, 06:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,

wrote this crap:

[...]

Now *this* is funny.

The terminal intermediate telling anyone what a good skier can notice...

LOL

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old August 25th 09, 07:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha[_2_]

On Aug 25, 11:15*am, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,

wrote this crap:

[...]

Geez, Baker, I've been tuning my own and those of my friends for over
twenty years. Took some classes on tuning. I've even helped out in
my local shop during busy season, and the pros seem to think I know
what I am doing. You stupid, ignorant, pathetic freak. Embarassed
again.
What is funny is that you are defending your good friend Dickless
Horvath again. What makes you look even more like a laughable,
deranged, dickless freak is that you take a cheap shot at me, but not
at Turtle Wax Horvath.
Clue time, you cowardly wack job. No respect. Never will have
respect. Always will be seen by every real man as a dickless freak.
You. Nothing is ever going to change that, because you simply do not
have the ability or capacity to be an honorable man.
Now go weasel about Whistler some more. But you know and I know that
you didn't have the balls to show up, coward. Nothing is ever going
to change that.
Now go **** yourself and stalk somebody else. You really made a fool
of yourself in this post. As usual.

Waxing on TV... [email protected] Nordic Skiing 4 March 10th 06 10:56 PM
waxing don martin Nordic Skiing 5 March 4th 05 08:31 PM
waxing broady Snowboarding 2 February 13th 05 04:44 PM
Waxing Help Wile E. Coyote Nordic Skiing 8 December 27th 04 03:01 AM
Ski waxing JP European Ski Resorts 7 March 5th 04 12:02 AM