Prior MFR: Initial Impressions

Old January 2nd 05, 03:10 AM
Brian

Default Prior MFR: Initial Impressions

Some of you may recall that over the summer my Donek Wide 161 was stolen
from my garage. As its replacement I purchased a Prior MFR Wide 161. Now
that I've had a few days on the snow (and what snow we're getting here in
Tahoe right now BTW!), I thought I'd share some initial impressions.

Bottom line so far: I absolutely love this board. It has turned out to be
exactly what I had hoped for. It is a more laid back board than my Donek
was, and is quite maneuverable at low speeds. The board can be finessed
through a tight slow turn, where the Donek could not - or at least not by
me. I think this can be attributed to thinner and more flexible tip and
tail sections on the Prior that are more forgiving. Yet, at high speeds it
glides rock steady without any hint of chatter. In the moguls, in the crud,
and in the powder it does what I want it to - and more importantly WHEN I
want it to, and does so effortlessly. This translates to longer days on the
snow and fewer rest stops throughout the day. I really find myself with
more stamina - far more stamina at the end of the day on the Prior. This is
the single most obvious difference between the two boards I've yet noticed -
effort level. I just don't have to fight the board like I sometimes did the
Donek. Now lastly, I really want to get some courduroy carving time on this
board soon, but right now there just are no groomers to speak of. The snow
is dumping fast and furious in Tahoe at the moment, with no let up in sight.
However, I will say that the Prior is very confidence inspiring on the
steeps and on the little bit of ice I've so far encountered on it. I do
suspect that it will not carve quite like the Donek did, though. While the
MFR's edge hold is very good, I have felt it wash out slightly here and
there, whereas I cannot ever recall that happening in almost any situation
on the Donek. And it stands to reason when you look at the board design
differences, I think. For me it is an acceptable tradeoff. I wanted a true
all mountain board over a strictly carving oriented one. I feel this is
what I have ended up with.

So, that's the story so far. For me personally, for what I want out of an
all around all mountain board, for my riding style, the Prior MFR is so far
a superb fit. I'm extremely ecstatic with the purchase (especially since it
was a relatively "blind" purchase) and would recommend it to anyone. This
board has really renewed my excitement for the sport.

Hope everyone is enjoying the snow as much as I am!

Brian.

Old January 4th 05, 02:35 AM
Mike T

Bottom line so far: I absolutely love this board.

Thanks for the in-depth review! I've been looking forward to reading what
you had to say about the Prior, since it's one of the few "normal shaped"
freeride boards out there that I feel an urge to demo some day!

So will you be the "shameless Prior advocate" on r.s.s just like I am the
"shameless Donek advocate"

I do
suspect that it will not carve quite like the Donek did, though. While
the
MFR's edge hold is very good, I have felt it wash out slightly here and
there, whereas I cannot ever recall that happening in almost any situation
on the Donek. And it stands to reason when you look at the board design
differences, I think. For me it is an acceptable tradeoff. I wanted a
true
all mountain board over a strictly carving oriented one. I feel this is
what I have ended up with.

I suspect that as you become better at carving the difference between the
two in terms of carvability will start to diminish. Once carving becomes
your "natural way of riding". The Prior might not coerce you into that
behavior as forcefully but something tells me it's still at least as carvy
as just about anything else designed to be ridden with softies.

I would still question the characterization of the Donek freeride boards as
"strictly carving oriented". I would say "favors carving over skidding",
"a Donek on edge tends to remain on edge", and "you need to coax them from
carving to skidding". But it's a freeride board through and through.
(OK, I admit it, they seem to have a way of luring soft booters into alpine,
but the same has been said of the MFR.)

Continue to enjoy your new ride, and I hope you partook of the many feet of
snow you just got. And send some north please!!!!

Mike T

Old January 4th 05, 04:41 PM
Mark.Andersen

Brian wrote:
[...]

Hey Brian, I'm glad you like the Prior. I think they have a bit of a
"home field advantage" being designed and tested in heavy West Coast
snow. My 162 is rock solid. I love the damp, "BMW M3" type ride.
It's fast, stable, and confidence inspiring.

Enjoy the snow! I was up this weekend and the only time I've ridden
better snow was out of a heli.

Mark

Old January 4th 05, 08:18 PM
Brian

"Mike T" wrote in message

I would still question the characterization of the Donek freeride boards

as
"strictly carving oriented". I would say "favors carving over skidding",
"a Donek on edge tends to remain on edge", and "you need to coax them from
carving to skidding". But it's a freeride board through and through.
(OK, I admit it, they seem to have a way of luring soft booters into

alpine,
but the same has been said of the MFR.)

Right. It depends on your perspective. To me, a strictly softboot guy, the
Donek Wide is absolutely a carving board. To you, a hardboot enthusiast, it
is not.

Continue to enjoy your new ride, and I hope you partook of the many feet

of
snow you just got. And send some north please!!!!

Sure did. It was incredible.

Brian.

Old January 4th 05, 08:19 PM
Brian

"Mark.Andersen" wrote in message
oups.com...

Enjoy the snow! I was up this weekend and the only time I've ridden
better snow was out of a heli.

Mark

I've never seen it better in Tahoe, either.

Brian.

Old January 4th 05, 09:05 PM
Mike T

Right. It depends on your perspective. To me, a strictly softboot guy,
the
Donek Wide is absolutely a carving board. To you, a hardboot enthusiast,
it
is not.

When I was strictly softboots, I didn't think of it that way... but maybe
that was a little voice in me saying "get on some hardboots you fool"
Anyhow, I'd be willing to bet that in 100 more riding days if you were to
get on a Wide you might think it is more versatile than you do now. Then
again maybe not. In any case I am glad to hear you have something that you
are truly excited about!

Mike T

Old January 5th 05, 03:03 AM
Brian

"Mike T" wrote in message
newsyDCd.25937$tG3.20774@trnddc02...

Anyhow, I'd be willing to bet that in 100 more riding days if you were to
get on a Wide you might think it is more versatile than you do now.

Mike T

Heheh, ya that too. You probably have hundreds more riding days under your
belt than I do. I have a feeling if I went boarding with you, you'd make me
look like a complete newbie. For me, 100 riding days is several seasons.

I also think I might have been happier on a Wide 158 instead of the 161.
The MFR 162, though, feels just right. I seem to recall effective edge
lengths being roughly equivalent on the Wide 158 and the MFR 162.

Brian.

Old January 5th 05, 04:29 AM
Mike T

Heheh, ya that too. You probably have hundreds more riding days under
your
belt than I do. I have a feeling if I went boarding with you, you'd make
me
look like a complete newbie. For me, 100 riding days is several seasons.

I seriously doubt I would make you look like a newbie. Fact is I don't do
anything *fancy*. I do like to carve and that tends to rub off on other
aspects of my riding. And I *am* a newbie on rails and in the halfpipe,
and my park skills are quite limited too. Sure, I like my steeps and deeps,
but that suff is just practice like anything else.

I also think I might have been happier on a Wide 158 instead of the 161.
The MFR 162, though, feels just right. I seem to recall effective edge
lengths being roughly equivalent on the Wide 158 and the MFR 162.

I recall that as well, when you were choosing a size. Seems like thinking
through the decision really paid off!

Mike T

Old January 5th 05, 08:55 AM
Switters

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 20:19:41 GMT, "Brian" allegedly
wrote:

"Mark.Andersen" wrote in message
oups.com...

Enjoy the snow! I was up this weekend and the only time I've ridden
better snow was out of a heli.

Mark

I've never seen it better in Tahoe, either.

OK, you guys are really beginning to depress me.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow -
Securing your e-mail

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://rssFAQ.org/
Old January 5th 05, 06:44 PM

I've never seen it better in Tahoe, either.

OK, you guys are really beginning to depress me.

- Dave.

Not to add insult to injury... but boo yaa:

http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...locid=USCA0773
Plenty more to come!