Looking for a good boot fitter - North London area

Old November 25th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Clive Backham

Default Looking for a good boot fitter - North London area

Posting this here because it's a specifically European-oriented group.

My 14 year old daughter is having great difficulties finding a boot
that fits properly. She has very short feet (size 3 1/2) but they are
wide, and she has wide ankles & calves. Her current Salomon T3s are now
quite painful and need replacing. We've tried Snow & Rock, but they
couldn't help out much. So I was wondering if anyone has any
recommendations for good boot fitters in the North
London/Herts/Bucks/Beds area (we live in Watford).

Thanks.

Old November 25th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Clive Backham wrote:

Posting this here because it's a specifically European-oriented group.

My 14 year old daughter is having great difficulties finding a boot
that fits properly. She has very short feet (size 3 1/2) but they are
wide, and she has wide ankles & calves. Her current Salomon T3s are now
quite painful and need replacing. We've tried Snow & Rock, but they
couldn't help out much. So I was wondering if anyone has any
recommendations for good boot fitters in the North
London/Herts/Bucks/Beds area (we live in Watford).

Thanks.

Hi Clive,

I don't know of any decent boot-fitters in England - I've not been
impressed with Snow and Rock, Ellis Brigham, any of the usual places
I'm afraid - I think a lot of it's down to being hundreds of miles from
the nearest mountain.

I'd advise you wait until you get out to a resort if you're going this
year. A good shop should let your daughter try the boots out with an
option to buy - if you don't buy, they'll just charge you a rental fee.
Then you'll have the rest of the holiday to uncover any problems and
have them addressed by the shop. The big-name makes should be covered
by international guarantees if there are problems after this, and any
authorised dealer in any resort/country *should* be happy to help you
even if you didn't buy the boots from them.

I guess a vaguely similar alternative for you would be to go to the MK
snow-dome and try things out there. Never been myself, but don't they
have some slopeside shops that might do the try-before-you-buy thing?

Good luck,

Matt

Old November 26th 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Clive Backham

Matt T wrote:
I'd advise you wait until you get out to a resort if you're going this
year. A good shop should let your daughter try the boots out with an
option to buy - if you don't buy, they'll just charge you a rental fee.

Matt, thanks for your advice.

Sounds like buying in resort might be the thing to do. We're going to
Flaine at half-term and Alpe d'Huez at Easter (how I long for the kids
to finish school so we can go at non-peak times!).

I guess a vaguely similar alternative for you would be to go to the MK
snow-dome and try things out there. Never been myself, but don't they
have some slopeside shops that might do the try-before-you-buy thing?

I've been to the MK snowdome once (Ellis Brigham is right next door,
and they did let my wife test some skis a few years back). But we'll
not go there again. It has to be the worst value in skiing anywhere in
the world (we got a total of about 1 minute of actual sliding down the
slope during the course of a 1 hour session, which cost more than the
price of a day's lift pass in the Alps. Admittedly, it was a Saturday).
In any case, the slope simply isn't big enough to do any kind of
meaningful evaluation.

Old November 27th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul

"Clive Backham" wrote in message
ps.com...
Matt T wrote:
[...]

Lockwoods in Leamington Spa (http://www.lockwoods.uk.com/) is frequently
mentioned as the best boot fitters in England. They are about an hour north
of you on the M40. I have bought ski boots and walking boots from them and
so have my wife and my son. They are expert, skillful and thorough but not
cheap (by which I mean you end up paying full price). They certainly have
people coming to them for boots from places like the South Coast. It is best
to book an appointment with them (takes up to two hours) but you can't book
weekends.

There is a superficial logic for buying in resort, particularly the point
about being able to try them and take them back for adjustment. But this
only works if you can trust the dealer to supply boots close enough to the
right fit to be sorted out by minor adjustments. My only experience of
buying boots in resort was when my wife got some in Austria (Zell am See I
think). They were a good price but hopelessly too big and way outside the
adjustable margin.

I have had good experiences with Precision Ski in Val d'Isere who adjusted
some poorly fitting boots (although I only really got sorted out when I
replaced them at Lockwoods). Precision are now part of a chain but I don't
know if they operate outside Espace Killy. The website should say.

If your daughter's feet are very non-standard you might have to think about
custom made boots. I see that Lockwoods are now the only UK stockist of
Daleboots, an American brand where the boot is assembled uniquely for each
customer. They cost over £400 though and I, for one wasn't prepared to buy
even standard boots for my son until he was old enough to wear them two
seasons running.

Good luck.

Paul

Old November 27th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Clive Backham wrote:
Matt T wrote:
[...]

Clive,

I have been skiing for 20 years (50 weeks), am a BASI
instructor, and have no idea how to buy boots that fit.
"She has very short feet (size 3 1/2) but they are
wide, and she has wide ankles & calves"

I am a 6' male with small but big feet (well about 9.5 long
and 11 wide) I cannot buy shoes that are not too narrow.
I have suffered nerve damage from ski boots.

The only substantive advice that have had has been
to go to Precision Ski in Chamonix. Accept no substitutes.
I have not yet spent money with them but they
are next on my list.

Altenatively, there is a boot shop in Tigne le lac, yes it sells
nothing other than boots, which is run by a gentleman who
was the boot guy for the French team. I forget the name
but he is well enough known. The shop in in the main Le Lac center
well up the hill from the supermarket.

Under no circumstances accept the advice of anyone selling stuff
in the UK.
All they can think of is £200 a pair - give me the money now.

Strolz Boots
Dale boots

Very expensive.

Old November 27th 06, 06:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Joe Roach

wrote in message
ups.com...

Clive Backham wrote:
Matt T wrote:
[...]

From personal experience this "Under no circumstances accept the advice of
anyone selling stuff
in the UK." is simply not true in the case of Lockwoods. I spent

Old November 27th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Clive Backham wrote:
Posting this here because it's a specifically European-oriented group.

My 14 year old daughter is having great difficulties finding a boot
that fits properly. She has very short feet (size 3 1/2) but they are
wide, and she has wide ankles & calves. Her current Salomon T3s are
now quite painful and need replacing. We've tried Snow & Rock, but
they couldn't help out much. So I was wondering if anyone has any
recommendations for good boot fitters in the North
London/Herts/Bucks/Beds area (we live in Watford).

Thanks.

Ski Bartlett at Hillingdon, SnowSun at Ipswich, SnowFit at Norwich, I know
Ipswich and Suffolk are outside your area, but Kevin at SnowSun is very good
and I'm told that Snowfit are good as well. I'm sure there are plenty more.

The bigest advantage of Buying boots Near where you live is that when they
need modification It is normally included in the Price. the other main
advantage is that you are not wasting valuable skiing time in the shop.

Chris *:-)

Old November 27th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Sarah Eggleston

Matt T wrote:

[...]

I'll second that, we travel to Lockwoods from Southampton, both having
the opposite feet to the original poster's daughter (low-volume), which
are a complete ^&*% to fit, as over the years boots seem to get wider
and taller. It might not sound like a as much of problem, but if your
feet don't touch the top and sides of your boots, you have no brakes or
steering.

Lockwoods have been fabulous, and while they don't offer much by way of
discounts, they will refit until you are happy, and again the next year.
IMO they will sell you the best fit boot, regardless of fashion or price
- some people get lucky and find it's a cheap one.

-Sarah
Old November 27th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Matt T

Paul wrote:

There is a superficial logic for buying in resort, particularly the point
about being able to try them and take them back for adjustment. But this
only works if you can trust the dealer to supply boots close enough to the
right fit to be sorted out by minor adjustments. My only experience of
buying boots in resort was when my wife got some in Austria (Zell am See I
think). They were a good price but hopelessly too big and way outside the
adjustable margin.

Yes, it's fair to say I've been spoilt a bit for technicians as my wife
and I have, by accident as much as anything, only seriously bought
equipment in Val D'Isere or Tignes. Precision seems to own pretty much
half the shops in the Espace Killy now (Called Precision or Favre or
Snowfun or Black Cats - any others?) but I'm not sure they'll have
outlets in Flaine or d'Huez. Most seasonaires should've sussed which
shops have the reputation by the time you're out there though, so ask
around.

I expect someone on here would have an opinion on boot shops in Flaine
or Alpe d'Huez as well - we've got opinions on pretty much everything
;-)

Matt

Old November 27th 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

On 27 Nov 2006 04:48:15 -0800, "Matt T"
wrote:

Precision seems to own pretty much
half the shops in the Espace Killy now (Called Precision or Favre or
Snowfun or Black Cats - any others?) but I'm not sure they'll have
outlets in Flaine or d'Huez.

No, they haven't. In Flaine, though, I'd recommend Flaine Super Ski at
the Forum level. Gilles and René are both expert (ex French team) ski
trainers and _really_ know their stuff. Make an appointmentm, though,
as they're usually out most of the day doing race training.

I expect someone on here would have an opinion on boot shops in Flaine
or Alpe d'Huez as well - we've got opinions on pretty much everything

I should jolly well hope so. I can remember a few shops from l'A d'H
last year, but I didn't have any cause to be worrying about boots so
can't really recommend any.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)