issue tracking on flats

Old December 27th 05, 08:27 PM

Default issue tracking on flats

As you might remember I've moved from duck to 39/30. I really like
things, but I noticed a slight problem. When riding on flats I need to
put heelside pressure on my rear foot to keep the board tracking
straight. The bindings are centered on the board just like when I was
duck. Should I just move my rear binding toward heelside? Any other
possibilities?

Old December 27th 05, 09:52 PM

As you might remember I've moved from duck to 39/30. I really like
things, but I noticed a slight problem. When riding on flats I need to
put heelside pressure on my rear foot to keep the board tracking
straight. The bindings are centered on the board just like when I was
duck. Should I just move my rear binding toward heelside? Any other
possibilities?

Equipment adjustments: just make sure your boot overhang is balanced
betwwen heel and toe. Generally speaking, increasing angles might mean you
have to move your back foot a little toward heelside, because the back of
the foot is over a wider section of board than your front foot, due to the
board's sidecut. But don't overdo it!

Any idea whether your base edges are beveled? Riding with 0/0 bevels can
make it so that the slightest change in stance makes you feel unstable on
the flats. A .5 to 1 degree base edge bevel can often make that go away.
I feel like I'm always about to catch an edge when riding a board with no
base edge bevel.

Of course, it goes without saying that you might have to "rebalance"
yourself with different angles. Just bend your ankles/knees/hips and stay
loose

Mike T

Old December 27th 05, 10:00 PM

Excellent advice so far....
Might add most riders have trouble with fast flat runouts, and
staying on one edge or the other saves you from big cartwheels.
I set my bindings for a slightly open stance, so back foot is
actually weighted towards the toeside. The reason is heelside turns
can be too powerful on steeps, and toeside orientation mellows that
turn out.
On fast runouts, I seem to ride a flat board mostly, not favoring one
edge or the other unless there's a direction needed. Keep weight back,
knees flexed and ready to loosen, and you should be fine.
And detune tips and tails a little.

Old December 29th 05, 03:55 PM

Generally speaking, increasing angles might mean you
have to move your back foot a little toward heelside, because the back of
the foot is over a wider section of board than your front foot, due to the
board's sidecut.

Not just because of the sidecut, also because the back foot is more
perpendicular to the board.

Less perpendicular / more parallel...

Example - moving from 0 degrees back to 15 degrees back.