Newbie needs some advice on board? Should I even get one?

Old November 8th 05, 02:13 AM
Devg

Default Newbie needs some advice on board? Should I even get one?

Hi all!

I'm sure this or something similiar has been asked in the past, so I
apologize for asking it again. However I would like some opinions....

Here is my situation:

I started snowboarding last year. I only had the chance to go one time
since it was late in the season. I'm not very good yet, in fact at
first me and my butt hated it But after my first successful turn I
had a smile on my face. Sure it hurts as I am learning and I might
still be on the bunny hill for a while to go, but its fun and thats all
that matters.

Last time I went out I had a Burton Cruizer board (spelling?). Anyway,
it was ok but I have a few problems. First of all, the boots are rental
boots. Second, the board is a newbie board. Sure I am a newbie but I
will not be forever. Third, and most important, I HATE step in binding
that are found on the rentals. I feel that the control is not there,
and it is a PAIN in the butt to put my snow clogged boots into those
stupid step in bindings.

I really do not want to go through with that this year again. I hate
step in bindings.

I am definately going to go 3 times this year, and hopefully more (5?).
I have been thinking about buying a board instead of renting. I know
that if I go 3 times and rent that is $100 right there. Of course
buying a new board is more than that, but its MY board. I think I will
learn how to ride MY board and learn how it performs. Most of all, I
will have nice boots and NOT have step in bindings.

So my frist question is should I consider purchasing a board or
renting. I really hate the pain and hassle of renting a crappy board
with step in bindings.

I am only a newbie, and I dont go too often. So My next question is any
board and boot recommendations?

So far I have looked at two possibilities:

1) A cheap newbie learning setup. A few places online sell Lamar
boards, boots, and bindings for $300 in a package. I know it's not the
best but that is a great price. Of course I cant try on the boots but I
think I know my size because I tried on other boots in the store. ANy
thoughts?

2) Purchasing a more expensive setup. So far I am considering Salomon
Maori boots (05/06) which I have tried on and I love the fit. I have
also considered Salomon SP3 bindings. The boards I am considering are
the Burton Air OR the Salomon Amp. Or maybe something from Rome
Solutions. All of these are 05/06 models.

ANy thoughts on the boots? The bindings? The boards? ANyone have a
better idea?

Thanks for your input!!!! =)

Old November 8th 05, 04:10 AM
Slaughterhouse

"Devg" wrote in message
oups.com...
So far I have looked at two possibilities:

1) A cheap newbie learning setup. A few places online sell Lamar
boards, boots, and bindings for $300 in a package. I know it's not the
best but that is a great price. Of course I cant try on the boots but I
think I know my size because I tried on other boots in the store. ANy
thoughts?

2) Purchasing a more expensive setup. So far I am considering Salomon
Maori boots (05/06) which I have tried on and I love the fit. I have
also considered Salomon SP3 bindings. The boards I am considering are
the Burton Air OR the Salomon Amp. Or maybe something from Rome
Solutions. All of these are 05/06 models.

ANy thoughts on the boots? The bindings? The boards? ANyone have a
better idea?

Thanks for your input!!!! =)

Alot of people say Lamar and LTDs are horrible boards, but for a beginner,
in my opinion, are good value for a complete setup. I know LTD has a
"colour" system for their equipment being Bronze (beginner, so boots and
bindings may have more flex. The flex makes it easier on beginners-it makes
it more forgiving if you put a little too much pressure on your toes and
heels while turning.), Silver (intermediate), or Gold (advanced). You should
be able to find their equipment even cheaper at large sporting good stores
like Sportcheck in Canada. I know that isn't very supportive at your local
board shop, but when you progress and want a board with more quality (and
you will know what you need in a board once you get your riding dialed),
then local board shops will have what your looking for. Your right about the
bindings; step-ins are very convenient, but strapping in really feels more
responsive. If anything is more important, GET GOOD BOOTS! If your boots do
not fit just right, it can hamper your performance (like heel lift-the
uncertainty your board is going to respond when or the way you want it to).
If your feet get cold you will just want to get off the hill instead of
doing what you should be doing-having a blast. Anyways, there are a lot of
great opinions in this newsgroup so expect some more replies. As well, glad
you found that you like riding. It only gets more addictive from here!

Old November 8th 05, 07:06 AM
lonerider

Devg wrote:
Hi all!

So my frist question is should I consider purchasing a board or
renting. I really hate the pain and hassle of renting a crappy board
with step in bindings.

I am only a newbie, and I dont go too often. So My next question is any
board and boot recommendations?

ANy thoughts on the boots? The bindings? The boards? ANyone have a
better idea?

Thanks for your input!!!! =)

Definitely buy your own boots. The Salomon Maori are a decent choice,
remember to buy like a .5 size small (they should feel slightly
uncomfortable in tightness as they will loosen out). You should
allocate as much money to this as possible. The best board and bindings
in the world won't make a difference if you have crappy boots.

For only 1-3 times a season I suggest you check if you local mountain
has a "performance upgrade" that upgrade you to a better board and
strap bindings. The SP3 would be a good affordable binding to go with
the boots. I don't know much about the lower level boards, but see if
you can buy a board 2-3 years old for like $100 (I like Salomon boards
as well).

Old November 8th 05, 12:16 PM

If you're sure you are committed to learning to ride, then I would go
ahead and get my own gear. While many sets of equipment are suitable
for a beginner, they do have differences and if you wind up constantly
using different equipment, IMO, it makes it harder to learn. Plus you
have issues like wasting time renting and then finding out that after a
run, the boots don't fit quite right. Another alternative might be to
consider a seasonal rental for a good set of equipment you like and
that you can keep for the season.

Boots that fit correctly are the first priority. For a board, I'd
consider buying a good used board that is 1- 2 years old.

Old November 8th 05, 02:04 PM
Tiburon27

Sure buying a new setup is more expensive but you should get a few years out
of your equipment.

I would never buy boots/board/bindings online unless:
a) you have tried on them on in an actual shop first.
b)they have a fair and easy return policy.

Between different makers of boots I am a 10.5 KuuSport, 11 Division 23, and
a 11.5 Northwave. These boots all feel the same on my feet.

At the end of the season I bought my Northwave boots and this fall I found
some decent Drake bindings online(they are made by the same company). I
wasn't sure if I should buy the L or XL bindings so I fired an email off to
Drake/Northwave. The person wasn't sure what size Drake I should get for
the Northwave boot and he worked for them! His suggestion? Try them on in
the store.

Also, don't think that just becasue you buy a Burton Boot the Burton Binding
will fit it! For example a Large Mission fits my boot perfectly, while a
Large Cartel is way too wide and the C-60 has too much default forward lean
and the heel cup doesn't match up at all. Burton does have a system on
their website for matching the right board-to-boot-to-binding though.

Why not try a Gnu Carbon Highbeam? They are not too expensive, built to
last (I still ride my 2002), they have an excellent warranty department and
you aren't lining the pockets of a ski company.

I don't remember who said it originally but "Buy it nice, or buy it twice"

Good luck and let us know what happens!