looking to buy my own ski's... need advice

Old September 7th 03, 05:09 AM
Kevin Olean

Default looking to buy my own ski's... need advice

Okay last year I went skiing for the first time in like 8 years. I went a
few times last year just too make sure I could still ski. This year I want
to buy my own ski's. Now I want some decent skis but I don't want to break
the bank. So I was hoping some of you could shed some light on what brands
are good, maybe some stuff I don't need or something I should stay away from
completely.

I think I need Boots (size 14), poles, skis and bindings.

Any help is grreatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
--
______________________
http://www.kevinolean.com

Old September 13th 03, 07:06 AM

Kevin,
Skiers are like economists; you could put 10 of them in a room and get
10 different answers about what is best. If you're not racing or
otherwise competing, I'm confident every ski maker has something that
will work for you. Elan, Rossignol, K-2, Dynastar, etc. all have
reliable reputations when it comes to skis. Marker, Tyrolia and
Solomon are sure bets for bindings. Poles: get something stiff and
lightweight, and the right length.

The shaped skis have really been winning over skiers for getting
cleaner, more graceful turns w/ less effort - they can chatter at high
speeds but do most non-expert skiers great justice in all other
situations. Any reliable ski shop can match you to a ski that's right
for you. If you want to save some dough, ask about buying a pair of
last year's demos; they usually come with bindings and full tune job.

With boots, comfort is the most important. Where a single pair of
comfortable sport socks when you go to try on boots. Most boots
loosen up over time, so snug is good but you don't want noticeable
pressure on any part of the foot. Nordica tends to be a brand that
suits larger feet well; size 14 might be tough to come by. (Note:
boots are measured in mm.)

Good luck with your search,
Paul
www.mytrailsign.com