wide board

Old March 21st 04, 02:17 AM
jhb

Default wide board

What are the consequences of riding a wider board? Is it hard to turn?
looking at the canyon (si

Old March 21st 04, 12:21 PM
Stelios Kougras

Hi!

Not at all. I'm 1,95m and my weight is 100kg. I ride a Nitro Atlas 164 and
it's like flying. No signs of a hard turn. It's just a wonderful board.

The main reason for riding those wideboards are my size 13 feet.

Greets, Stelios

Old March 22nd 04, 11:22 PM
Sharkie

"jhb" wrote in message . net...
What are the consequences of riding a wider board? Is it hard to turn?

No, it's not. You should choose a board wide enough to eliminate
any overhang. Wiping out during a nice carved turn due to your
boots touching the snow (and releasing the edge) takes the fun
out quickly.

Wider boards are somewhat slower though than more narrow ones.
Hence the racing boards are so narrow. You can of course compensate
this by proper base/edge maintenance and good technique.
Old March 23rd 04, 02:36 PM
Neil Gendzwill

Switters wrote:

A wide board itself isn't slower that a narrow one.

In some cases they're faster. See:
http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...&threadid=1938

Look for Bruce Varsava's comments. Bruce makes Coiler boards, which is
what Jasey-Jay rides for alpine. For BX he rides another manu, Bruce
gives the reasons why.

Old March 23rd 04, 10:14 PM
Sharkie

Switters wrote in message . ..
Surely it's a consequence of the riders running hardboots and high stance
angles, which narrows the lateral footprint. This requires a narrower
board to ensure that the toe/heel are over the edge of the board, ensuring
quick edge to edge transitions.

I might be wrong on this, but I always thought the high angle stance
was the result of narrow boards, and not vice-versa.

If that's not the case then why are racing boards narrower from
freecarve boards?
Old March 23rd 04, 10:27 PM
og

You've been looking at boards by their length. And then you find your feet
are too big. No way to change that. FACE IT: Big feet on a narrow board are
a drag. Small feet on a wide board means you need herculean power to just
get it on its edge. That's why our DIMENSIONAL CONCEPT works with different
board widths. When you choose a HEAD board, you check the width FIRST - and
THEN find your length. It really IS better that way.

Head has a good width finder:

http://www.ridehead.com/main?UID=tec...erview&lang=en

Old March 23rd 04, 11:30 PM
Mike T

You've been looking at boards by their length. And then you find your feet
are too big. No way to change that. FACE IT: Big feet on a narrow board

are
a drag. Small feet on a wide board means you need herculean power to just
get it on its edge. That's why our DIMENSIONAL CONCEPT works with

different
board widths. When you choose a HEAD board, you check the width FIRST -

and
THEN find your length. It really IS better that way.

Head has a good width finder:

http://www.ridehead.com/main?UID=tec...erview&lang=en

Just a word of caution before everyone goes and plugs in their stats and
gets a "bad" result, panics, and goes out to buy new gear:

That handy dandy little calculator greatly oversimplifies the issue. To
sum up a discussion from last year that is now linked to from the FAQ (link
at bottom of post), the calculator ignores the following:

1) As board width increases, edge-to-edge transitions get harder but the
limit of how much inclination you can get without booting out decreases, and
everyone's got a different happy medium. An aggressive rider with a solid
carving technique needs more width than a casual rider who skids their
turns, because they inclinate more.

2) Just because two boots have the same "inside" length (where your foot
goes) doesn't mean they have the same "outside" length (which is where toe
drag comes from). For example, when I compare a 2001/2002 Salomon
Malamute versus a 2001/2002 Deeluxe Freak, both sized to fit me, the Freak
was over an inch (2.54 cm) longer on the outside, meaning that it had the
same footprint as a Salomon boot about two sizes bigger.

3) Some boots have ramped up toes and heels or rounded off corners on their
heels which reduces footprint and some don't. Those that don't give you
drag much sooner.

4) Some bindings have bulky heel cups that add un-needed drag

So please, consider that before taking the results too literally!

(Yes, I applaud Head for trying to focus on width first... We can put our
heads together and be even smarter though!)

-Mike T

Link to previous discussion:
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&l...d4ab74&rnum=25

Old March 24th 04, 01:08 AM
Mike T

I might be wrong on this, but I always thought the high angle stance
was the result of narrow boards, and not vice-versa.

Actually, I believe it is vice-versa!

Read the following - not explicitly about stance angles, but one can see how
higher angles (higher than 45* that is) lend themselves to moving ones'
center of gravity across the board as is described in this article.

http://www.bomberonline.com//articles/asymetric.cfm

(Switters - I bet you never thought you'd see this again when you pulled it
from the FAQ )

If you want a more direct explanation, ask on Bomber. People who are more
knowledgeable than me will have plenty of insightful things to say
(including the author of the above article, Jack Michaud)

If that's not the case then why are racing boards narrower from
freecarve boards?

The term "freecarve" is not used in a consistent manner.

Some people use it to describe alpine boards that have a sidecut in between
that of a Slalom board and that of a GS board. Some people use it to
describe an all-mountain alpine board that is wider than a traditional
alpine board, so that it can float through powder and power through crud
better.

Look at the specs for the "Freecarve" models on Donek and Coiler's sites...
you'll see the same range of waist widths as the "Race" boards. The lines
between Freecarve and Race can be quite blurry, I know people that use a
Donek Freecarve for GS races and I and many others freecarve on "race"
board. In both Donek and Coiler's case, the Freecarve label provides a
great list of boards that a first-time alpine board buyer should look at
though - a nice turny sidecut but not so big that it runs away with you.

I'm so stoked that hard boots and alpine are getting some attention on this
group! Gives me something to do while I heal my sprained ankle :-|

BTW I'm planning a very informal carving event at Mount Hood May 13 - 16,
open to anyone who wants to lay down some trenches, learn how to lay down
trenches, or just watch!

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulleti...rveFes t+Hood

Mike T