BBC & Global Warming

Old December 2nd 03, 05:33 PM
Simon Brown

Default BBC & Global Warming

You've read it before but here's a nice simple article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3257022.stm
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 3rd 03, 01:00 AM
S. Gione

Simon, you got zapped in a prior thread for your 15-year projection.

This article seems to say you may not be too far off ... 100% to 30 years,
which is miniscule when considering millenia scales of measurement.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/1000298.asp?0bl=-0#BODY

Old December 3rd 03, 05:27 AM
Simon Brown

Hi,

Got a bath running - then ten years is from historical data when previous
climate changes have taken place. What is interesting is the level of denial
from those whose own lifestyles are not environmentally friendly.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 3rd 03, 05:36 AM
Simon Brown

Buried somewhere on the internet will be the historical data which shows a
very rapid acceleration in climate change over a period of ten years based
on measurements over the last 2,000 years. I can't remember what was
measured - I guess it's ice or something.

What this article doesn't mention too much that it's not just the planet
getting warmer, it's the change of weather patterns. If the gulf stream does
move south as is expected it will be bitter in the winter in the UK. It is
reasonable to expect a mid-Italian winter where I live in Switzerland -
warmer, drier and with more of these warm winds.

An interesting article in the Swiss financial press 5 years ago listed three
resorts as being financially sound, since then it's not improved. I would
not invest anything in skiing related companies.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 3rd 03, 05:43 AM
Simon Brown

The Guardian: http://travel.guardian.co.uk/news/st...098608,00.html

"In the worst case, in which temperatures climb by 3.4C by 2070, none of
Australia's ski resorts would be operating at a profit."
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old December 3rd 03, 06:42 AM
PG

"Simon Brown" wrote in message

| An interesting article in the Swiss financial press 5 years ago
listed three
| resorts as being financially sound, since then it's not
improved. I would
| not invest anything in skiing related companies.
| --

That said, perversely, higher altitude resorts could find
themselves in a privileged and relatively competitor-free
marketplace as a result, if only 'temporarily', should global
warming continue. These locations could be real money spinners.

Pete

Alternatively, there's always.......

www.grasski.org

)

Old December 3rd 03, 06:47 AM
lcopps

In 2000, I stayed at an inn in Zermatt where a painting over 100 years
old hung showed the town at the time, the glaciers nearly came all the
way down to the outskirts of the town in the summer.
There is a long term trend obiously. Perhaps it is a continuation of a
very long term trend which started in the ice age with shorter subtrend
peaks and valleys. Last year was a rare poor year in the west US.

Old December 3rd 03, 07:50 AM
Simon Brown

Hi,

There was a lot of talk about the poor state of the glaciers in the local
press this summer, especially how they have melted this year. I've seen the
pictures you refer to, there are similar pictures from this side of
Switzerland as well. This causes all sorts of problems.

FWIW there will be a 'piste' inspection on December 9th in advance of the
women's racing on December 20-21 in Laax. The way it looks now the only
thing they will be inspecting is the quality of the grass. This morning it
was very noticeable how much greener the grass is after last week's brief
snowfall. Unless temperatures fall by 7C on Monday and we get a 50cm to 1m
dump the only thing the women will be doing is helping with a late harvest.

The weather forecast on http://tagesanzeiger.ch/portal/wetter/php/index.php
isn't offering any hope whatsoever.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

ink.net...

Old December 3rd 03, 05:14 PM
David Off

lcopps wrote:
In 2000, I stayed at an inn in Zermatt where a painting over 100 years
old hung showed the town at the time, the glaciers nearly came all the
way down to the outskirts of the town in the summer.

In the early middle ages many of the alpine cols that now have year
round snow cover were dry, so at that time the European climate must
have been warmer.

I'll repost the article I wrote on the subject:-

http://www.pistehors.com/articles/global.htm

Greg should probably put Global Warming and European skiing in the FAQ,
if he has time between his weekend ski trips.

Here is the FAQ btw:

http://www.pistehors.com/articles/global.htm

David

Old December 3rd 03, 06:29 PM
Sue

In message , David
Off writes
lcopps wrote:
In 2000, I stayed at an inn in Zermatt where a painting over 100
years old hung showed the town at the time, the glaciers nearly came
all the way down to the outskirts of the town in the summer.

In the early middle ages many of the alpine cols that now have year
round snow cover were dry, so at that time the European climate must
have been warmer.

Which makes the point that the temperatures we're experiencing now
aren't particularly extreme (did you check the snow cover on those cols
last summer though?)
The worry about global warming is that short of a collapse of the global
economy there's no way to stop it getting worse and worse, faster and
faster.
And if there was a collapse of the global economy, most people in the UK
would starve, since even with a warmer climate we can't grow enough food
to feed ourselves.

I'm all worried now, I'll have to go skiing to take my mind off it.
--
Sue ]