My trip report (Chair operators = Idiots)

Old March 5th 06, 05:06 AM

Default My trip report (Chair operators = Idiots)

Ok, my friend and I got to Mountain Creek about 8:30, got our tickets
and rentals.
Got on the learning slope around 9:15, went down the hill twice (its
about 200 feet)

Took the 10am lesson, to be honest, for me, I didnt learn anything from
the lesson, it just gave me a chance to practice what I knew.

Anyway, after the lesson went up on Sugar hill (the lift all the way on
the left) with my friend.
I would go down and to the side about 200 feet then wait and direct
him.
He had trouble making it without falling...its frustrating when people
do not listen to instructions...like he fell and hes on his back and
hes trying to just stand up.
I tell him that its impossible, and he has to use his poles and lean
against them for support, but he keeps trying to just standup while
flat on his back.

Anyway, after going down twice with me stopping every 200 feet to
direct him, he sat out, so I made two runs (VERY CROWDED)

Then he tried it once more with me stopping and directing him, then I
did 2 more runs then we left.

Anyway, I have two gripes with the damn chair lift operator.

1. One time, when the chair came around, I looked at the operator and
said "HOLD the chair" but he didnt do anything, and the chair actually
knocked my friend down and went over his head (luckily my friend was
lying flat on the ground).
What does that idiot think I meant when I told him "HOLD THE CHAIR"

2. Since I went on the lift by myself, I went on the "Singles" line.
But most of the people there were in groups.
A couple of times, I actually asked the guy in front of me "Is this the
Singles Line?" I got the reply yes, and he turns around and talks to
his group of 2-3 on the Singles line.
Isnt the operator supposed to enforce this rule?
One time, there was a group of 3 on this line, and their friends showed
up, so it turned into a group of 7!!
Dude...when people are in groups on the 'Singles' line, kick them off
and make them get on the back of the line.

Question (forgot to ask them) - when I rented the skis I got a copy of
the renter agreement (white paper) when I returned the skis, they wrote
a "Ret" on the paper.
Was I supposed to hand it in to someone?
I called and asked and this exchanged happened:
Me - Do I give the white paper to someone?
MC - No.
Me - How do you know I returned my skis then? (so I wont get charged)
MC - Did it get a R on the white paper?
Me - Yes...but how would YOU know I have the R...I have the paper
MC - We have the other 2 copies
Me - But they wrote the R on MY paper, not your copy
MC - We check every ski at the end of the day
Me - ok, whatever.

But are you telling me they check every ski and then say "Ok Ski 53827
is missing...lets look through EVERY paper to see who rented it"
That doesnt make sense.

It would make more sense for me to show them my White paper, and get my
two copies back... so whoever left a copy at the end of the day, thats
who did not return the skis.

But anyway, was I supposed to give the paper to someone?
Thanks

Old March 5th 06, 02:40 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...

2. Since I went on the lift by myself, I went on the "Singles"
line.
But most of the people there were in groups.
A couple of times, I actually asked the guy in front of me "Is this
the
Singles Line?" I got the reply yes, and he turns around and talks
his group of 2-3 on the Singles line.
Isnt the operator supposed to enforce this rule?
One time, there was a group of 3 on this line, and their friends
showed
up, so it turned into a group of 7!!
Dude...when people are in groups on the 'Singles' line, kick them
off
and make them get on the back of the line.

"Groups" can go single if they still just fill up the chairs. It's
often a lot faster.

Old March 5th 06, 03:12 PM

wrote in message
oups.com...
"Groups" can go single if they still just fill up the chairs. It's
often a lot faster.

Ok, I did not know that...but whats the point of a singles line
then?

So that chairs don't go up with empty seats on them.

If a group can go up on the singles line, then why go up as a
group?
You can still meet your friends on top of the mountain.
You only end up apart for about 3 minutes.

I assume that they are in line single file and fill the spaces as
they appear from the main line.

But anyway, a couple of times then operator looked at the people in
the
Singles line and asked "1?"
and the person replied "2" and they got on as two.

In the case of a quad chair, and a party of two in the main line,
it's common to take two from the singles line to fill the chair. Do
you want the chair to go with empty seats?

There is another "trick" I'll let you in on.

If you are a party of two at a quad chair or one at a triple chair,
go to the main line and group up there. It's often faster than the
singles line.

I would have kicked them to the back of the line.

Im not even going to mention the people who just get on the "Ski
School" line and then gets to the front of the line. Even though
they
are not in class, and were just on the singles line on the previous
run.

Those people should be kicked off. You are right there. Sometimes the
ski school lane is a more direct route. And if the regular maze is
empty people take it without causing someone else extra wait time.

When I saw behavior like that I am not shy about pointing them out to
the proper employee and the rest of the public in the area. But I
haven't skied where snowboards are allowed in years so I haven't
really seen much of that.

Old March 5th 06, 07:35 PM

pigo wrote:

wrote:
somebody wrote:
"Groups" can go single if they still just fill up the chairs. It's
often a lot faster.

Ok, I did not know that...but whats the point of a singles line
then?

So that chairs don't go up with empty seats on them.

If they were serious about that they'd have one line marked "FOUR (4) BOARDERS
ONLY". More often than not, If I (a skier) join a group of 2 or 3 boarders,
at the last minute they all hang back giving me a ride in solitary splendor.
Honest, I'm not really scary...unless I want to be...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 6th 06, 01:10 AM

Anyway, I have two gripes with the damn chair lift operator.

1. One time, when the chair came around, I looked at the operator and
said "HOLD the chair" but he didnt do anything, and the chair actually
knocked my friend down and went over his head (luckily my friend was
lying flat on the ground).
What does that idiot think I meant when I told him "HOLD THE CHAIR"

He probably thought you were having a flashback to the '70s, when
holding the chair was the done thing. Lifts and lift operations have
both changed since then, and nowadays lift operators are more likely to
concentrate their efforts on getting people to use the lifts properly
than on grabbing chairs and trying to maneuver them to make up for
people's failure to load properly.

BTW, one of the items of the National Ski Patrol's skier/rider
responsibility code is as follows:

"Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to
load, ride and unload safely."

Now, there are some unusual lifts out there, so it should be said: not
everyone can ride every lift, and not every lift can be
operator-adjusted to accomodate every rider. However, I spend a lot of
time taking small children on lifts, and I've got a pretty good idea of
where the edge lies as far as someone who's not very strong, not very
big and doesn't move very fast being able to use a chairlift. The
little guys can do it -- often with some assistance from the adults
they're riding up with, but without the operator holding the chair -- so
the operator probably didn't expect an able-bodied adult to need that
kind of assistance.

Old March 6th 06, 01:49 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:

wrote:

What does that idiot think I meant when I told him "HOLD THE CHAIR"

Maybe after your buddy crashed and burned that idiot thought YOU were an
idiot for taking a beginner on a chair too advanced for him?

He probably thought you were having a flashback to the '70s, when
holding the chair was the done thing.

Actually when old non-detachables are being run fast to attempt higher
uphill capacity it's common for a lift-op to bump the chair for the
loadees (at least around here). But it sure doesn't sound like that's
what the correspondent was thinking about.

[...]

If the respondent meant for the operator to slow the chair's operation,
as we often do here for 2 to 4 year olds, the proper way is to talk with
the op before entering the loading area where you'll get your kid
whapped in the noggin if the op doesn't react.

I think the respondent is trolling us - his whole post sounds fishy.
Old March 6th 06, 01:49 AM

holding the chair was the done thing. Lifts and lift operations have
both changed since then, and nowadays lift operators are more likely to
concentrate their efforts on getting people to use the lifts properly
than on grabbing chairs and trying to maneuver them to make up for
people's failure to load properly.

But there is a sign next to the lift that said "If you do not know how
to use the lift, let the operator know"

I guess I should have said "He does not know how to use the lift"
instead of "Hold the lift"

But I think "Hold the lift" is pretty clear...it means HOLD it.

Old March 6th 06, 01:56 AM

Maybe after your buddy crashed and burned that idiot thought YOU were an
idiot for taking a beginner on a chair too advanced for him?

this was the beginner hill, what other chair could we have gone on?
As I said in the prior post, there is a sign that says 'If you do not
know how to get on the chair, let the operator know'
I thought I was letting him know by telling him to hold the chair.

I think the respondent is trolling us - his whole post sounds fishy.

Which parts of my post shows fishy?

Anyway, you are free to speak to Mike....who was the instructor for our
class.

After the class, I asked him if we were ready for the hill (which is
the next one up from the hill where classes are taught)
He said we would be fine and to take it slow and easy.

Old March 6th 06, 02:00 AM

"In the case of a quad chair, and a party of two in the main line,
it's common to take two from the singles line to fill the chair. Do
you want the chair to go with empty seats? "

Actually at the chair lift, they had 5 lines.
1 - ski school - automatically goes in front of everyone else
2 - Singles line
3-5 - regular line.

When I saw behavior like that I am not shy about pointing them out to

the proper employee and the rest of the public in the area.

I didnt say anything because it seemed like it was 'accepted' behavior.
Like I said, the operator knew some people were with their friends but
they still let them stay on the singles line.
And the people on the singles line told me (when I asked them) that it
was indeed the Singles line, and then they continued their
conversations with their group...while being on the Singles line.
Plus I didnt feel like getting into an arguement with a group of 4
while I am byself wearing skis.

Old March 6th 06, 02:11 AM

Mary Malmros wrote:

wrote:

Anyway, I have two gripes with the damn chair lift operator.

Gripe away and see below.

1. One time, when the chair came around, I looked at the operator and
said "HOLD the chair" but he didnt do anything, and the chair actually
knocked my friend down and went over his head (luckily my friend was
lying flat on the ground).
What does that idiot think I meant when I told him "HOLD THE CHAIR"

See below about newby lift riders. Also, how does one lie
"flat on the ground" with skis on? Inquiring minds...

Yes, I've helped people who have crashed on exiting by
making sure they keep their heads down.

He probably thought you were having a flashback to the '70s, when
holding the chair was the done thing. Lifts and lift operations have
both changed since then, and nowadays lift operators are more likely to
concentrate their efforts on getting people to use the lifts properly
than on grabbing chairs and trying to maneuver them to make up for
people's failure to load properly.

Mary, there are not lifties left over from the 70's

BTW, one of the items of the National Ski Patrol's skier/rider
responsibility code is as follows:

Ayup, see below.

"Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to
load, ride and unload safely."

Now, there are some unusual lifts out there, so it should be said: not
everyone can ride every lift, and not every lift can be
operator-adjusted to accomodate every rider. However, I spend a lot of
time taking small children on lifts, and I've got a pretty good idea of
where the edge lies as far as someone who's not very strong, not very
big and doesn't move very fast being able to use a chairlift. The
little guys can do it -- often with some assistance from the adults
they're riding up with, but without the operator holding the chair -- so
the operator probably didn't expect an able-bodied adult to need that
kind of assistance.

If it's a fixed-grip lift, the liftie should momentarily
stop the chair with his weight so that the guest can sit
down without the chair doing serious damage to the backs
of his/her legs. After three months of practice, the kids
from elsewhere who don't speak very good English are just
now "getting it". I've taken to dropping my hand to prevent
chair-smack on fixed grip lifts and complementing the
the liftie when he does it right, also with a "thank you".

Poma lifts are another matter. The modern way of doing
it with you in motion by the time the liftie pulls the
chain releasing the pole is a whole lot better than the
old way of standing still with the liftie standing on the
tails of your skies and not stepping off until the spring
is stretched to max. It does take a bit of practice to
get it right though.

Oh, and how does one get familiar with a lift without
riding it? So the newby's responsibility is to tell the
liftie that he/she is a newby and would you please slow
the thing down so I can get the feel of it and not have
any immediate accidents.

And I think "STOP THE CHAIR" would be a better call to the
liftie, as "STOP" is less ambiguous than "HOLD" for one
who may not speak English too well.

If that's what you wanted. See, I'm a little confused
by the ambiguity. See above about newby lift riders.

When you feel like bitching about lifties, try to imagine
yourself doing this job day in and day out. Then imagine
yourself doing this job for around $8.50 per hour.

VtSkier