Making lines

Old April 29th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
taichiskiing

Default Making lines

Lines/tracks of flatboarding/flatskiing 1,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDsmw13aC4

Have fun,
IS
Old April 29th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Apr 29, 11:32 am, taichiskiing
wrote:
Lines/tracks of flatboarding/flatskiing 1,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDsmw13aC4

Have fun,
IS

Wow. You can make perty lines on groomed snoozers. So can 75 percent
of the people on this newsgroup. yawn.
Old April 29th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

wrote:
Lines/tracks of flatboarding/flatskiing 1,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDsmw13aC4

Wow. You can make perty lines on groomed snoozers. So can 75 percent
of the people on this newsgroup. yawn.

In earlier times actual film would have been wasted to record that. We
are indeed fortunate that only electrons were used to immortalize that
sequence. And HD space, of course. Anybody know how long youtube keeps
this stuff alive?

--
Cheers, Bev
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have
Old April 29th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

wrote:
Lines/tracks of flatboarding/flatskiing 1,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDsmw13aC4

Wow. You can make perty lines on groomed snoozers. So can 75 percent
of the people on this newsgroup. yawn.

In earlier times actual film would have been wasted to record that. We
are indeed fortunate that only electrons were used to immortalize that
sequence. And HD space, of course. Anybody know how long youtube keeps
this stuff alive?

--
Cheers, Bev
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have
never experienced any prob

If it's for five minutes after he posted it...It's too long.
Old April 29th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

wrote:
Lines/tracks of flatboarding/flatskiing 1,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcDsmw13aC4

Wow. *You can make perty lines on groomed snoozers. *So can 75 percent
of the people on this newsgroup. *yawn.

In earlier times actual film would have been wasted to record that. *We
are indeed fortunate that only electrons were used to immortalize that
sequence. *And HD space, of course. *Anybody know how long youtube keeps
this stuff alive?

--
Cheers, Bev
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have
* never experienced any prob

If it's for five minutes after he posted it...It's too long.- Hide quoted text -

I would consider that kind of skiing on that terrain a failure for
myself. When I ski turns like that I try to leave two tiny thin lines
the entire way except for the few feet at the transition point from
edge to edge. But even that is pretty boring. 205's make it a little
more fun (and fast!).
Old April 30th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

wrote:
[...]

Totally agree. Trying to make two infinitely close lines all the way
down the groomed snoozer is an exercise in vanity. A boring one too.
Old April 30th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Not That Dave

On Apr 29, 5:45 pm, Yabahoobs wrote:
On Apr 29, 5:00 pm, pigo wrote:

I would consider that kind of skiing on that terrain a failure for
myself. When I ski turns like that I try to leave two tiny thin lines
the entire way except for the few feet at the transition point from
edge to edge. But even that is pretty boring. 205's make it a little
more fun (and fast!).

Totally agree. Trying to make two infinitely close lines all the way
down the groomed snoozer is an exercise in vanity. A boring one too.

Well, pretty much anything you do down a groomed snoozer is an
exercise in vanity, unless you are a beginner, making it an exercise
in terror.

I would be trying to leave trenches in a trail like that, which, in
addition to being an exercise in vanity, also creates a hazard for the
inept and unexperienced. Some might argue that my skiing is more
"functional" than Itchy-scratchy's, but really it's not. I always
overcommit to the fall line, to my edges, to the carve, when really I
can get by with less. It's just so damned fun to be out of balance,
knowing you can pull it together with a twitch of your skis.

Don't you think it's nice that Itchy's found a way to get his groove
on? And that he's willing to share it with us?

We should all have such dedication to our personal style.
Old April 30th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Apr 29, 5:00 pm, pigo wrote:

I would consider that kind of skiing on that terrain a failure for
myself. When I ski turns like that I try to leave two tiny thin lines
the entire way except for the few feet at the transition point from
edge to edge. But even that is pretty boring. 205's make it a little
more fun (and fast!).

Totally agree. *Trying to make two infinitely close lines all the way
down the groomed snoozer is an exercise in vanity. *A boring one too.

Well, pretty much anything you do down a groomed snoozer is an
exercise in vanity, unless you are a beginner, making it an exercise
in terror.

It is hard to determine the tilt on that slope. Given what I know of
his "technique", and the fact that he only slid the turns a few feet,
probably not much. But the turns that I had in mind on a slope like
Sunnyside at PCMR would have you going somewhere over 50 mph in my
estimation. A slope that looked pretty smooth develops some pretty
good rollers going that fast. The run also ends at the bottom onto an
almost 90 deg. turn onto a cat track. Which also added some interest
at high speed.

I would be trying to leave trenches in a trail like that, which, in
addition to being an exercise in vanity, also creates a hazard for the
inept and unexperienced. Some might argue that my skiing is more
"functional" than Itchy-scratchy's, but really it's not. *I always
overcommit to the fall line, to my edges, to the carve, when really I
can get by with less. *It's just so damned fun to be out of balance,
knowing you can pull it together with a twitch of your skis.

I guess I didn't go into enough detail. I was amazed that someone
would post proudly the tracks of such an intermediate technique. My
two thin lines also turned into trenches at the apex of the turn if
the snow was as soft as it appeared in that video.

The hardest part was trying to keep from getting thrown out of the
turn by the centrifugal force, and trying not to think about what
would happen if you did. Plus skiing all the time with bindings set to
handle that force.

Don't you think it's nice that Itchy's found a way to get his groove
on? And that he's willing to share it with us?

I suppose it is. I think that the problem is the way he presents it. I
wouldn't have a problem if he had more of a "look at what a goofy,
unorthadox way I have found to have fun" attitude. But I think he
tries to present it as a possible alternative or actual legitimate way
to get the most out of your skiing. It just isn't.

We should all have such dedication to our personal style.

I do. But mine works. If I was still slipping the flats like that
without the ability to ski it I wouldn't like it. I must say that
these days I do ski those runs that way when with beginners in order
to keep the pressure of wedging down that **** to a minimum. It hurts
to do that.

Old April 30th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Apr 30, 9:18*am, pigo wrote:
We should all have such dedication to our personal style.

I do. But mine works. If I was still slipping the flats like that
without the ability to ski it I wouldn't like it. I must say that
these days I do ski those runs that way when with beginners in order
to keep the pressure of wedging down that **** to a minimum. It hurts
to do that.

I confess that I have made nice knees-together tracks down a blue
cruiser when the conditions are right - quick snow, light traffic, and
fresh snow or untracked groom down along the lift line, and then check
out my tracks on the next ride up to see if they look as good as they
felt.

But I don't take a video and post it on youtube as if it were an
athletic breakthrough.

Old April 30th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Yabahoobs

On Apr 30, 1:11 pm, Richard Henry wrote:

But I don't take a video and post it on youtube as if it were an
athletic breakthrough.

Let alone a breakthrough having anything, at all, to do with 'eastern'
spirituality.

blue lines Bucky Alpine Skiing 2 February 13th 06 11:01 AM
Are President's Day crowds and lift lines bad? Eric Snowboarding 1 February 18th 05 07:04 PM
From the front lines - High School Ski Camp - 2004 Marsh Jones Nordic Skiing 0 December 30th 04 03:02 AM
So how wet is whistler snow and how bad are the lift lines? is it quantity over quality? kevin Alpine Skiing 43 September 4th 04 04:53 AM
X-mas and Lift Lines George Evans Alpine Skiing 11 July 29th 04 06:58 AM