Corn

Old May 10th 08, 06:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Default Corn

Caution, Gloat ahead.

Best corn yet this morning. A pretty good freeze last night, 26F, on
the porch. Crunchy early, but about 11:00 AM, the sun ripened the snow
to textbook corn conditions. Totally supportable for Ms. Dawg. Totally
carvable for me. Hero Snow. Worthy of a Brave Hungarian
Warrior. Skinned and skied from the door. Not bad for May 10. Didn't
see a single other soul. No rocks. No bare spots. Except the plowed
drive. And the best news is that the snow on the deck is down to a
point where I think I'll clear it after a few more hours of sun. And
then it will be time for some planting and a beer in the sun.

-klaus

Old May 10th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On May 10, 2:07*pm, klaus wrote:
Caution, Gloat ahead.

Best corn yet this morning. A pretty good freeze last night, 26F, on
the porch. Crunchy early, but about 11:00 AM, the sun ripened the snow
to textbook corn conditions. Totally supportable for Ms. Dawg. Totally
carvable for me. Hero Snow. Worthy of a Brave Hungarian
Warrior. Skinned and skied from the door. Not bad for May 10. Didn't
see a single other soul. No rocks. No bare spots. Except the plowed
drive. And the best news is that the snow on the deck is down to a
point where I think I'll clear it after a few more hours of sun. And
then it will be time for some planting and a beer in the sun.

You suck. No snow here whatsoever. Plenty of dandelions though,
which, strangely, has become a good thing. I've forgone using weed
killer on the lawn, and now spend 15 minutes a day walking around
pulling them up with an old-school dandelion weeder. It's quite
satisfying to get those tap-roots whole, and the whole process is
really meditative. Sometimes I stop and do some push-ups or planks
and then just lay in the evening sun. Probably just age, but I'm
taking real pleasure in it lately!

sigh Still...it would be so nice to be able to ski perfect corn
snow out my back door on May 10th though... You suck. Enjoy every
minute of it.

JP
***************
Live fully.
Old May 10th 08, 09:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On May 10, 2:18*pm, Jay Pique wrote:
On May 10, 2:07*pm, klaus wrote:

[...]

Let them grow to maturity (little seed puffballs). Enjoy blowing the
seeds like a three year old. Then dig them up like you've been doing
and keep the leaves. Prepare the leaves like spinach - free dinner
side. (Unless you don't like spinach, in which case I recommend
Spike). I still remember my 80's grandma visiting us and wandering
around the neighbor's yard (much bigger than ours) digging up
dandelions for dinner.

Out here in Southern California I have to constantly fight back cat's
paw, which resemble true dandelions sort of like Scott resembles a
real skier. And we get the benefit of wild mustard (origianlly spread
by the Padres to mark the paths between the missions, according to
legend) and New Zealand (or Beach) spinach, which can be eaten raw
right out of the landscaping or boiled to soften the taste and
texture.

Someday I'll tell you about burr clover, my real nemesis.

Old May 10th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On May 10, 2:34*pm, Richard Henry wrote:

Out here in Southern California I have to constantly fight back cat's
paw, which resemble true dandelions sort of like Scott resembles a
real skier.

Geez. I would have used the metaphor that cat's paw resembles true
dandelions the way Richard Henry resembles a real man....except cat's
paw and dandelion are green and are plants, and Richard Henry has no
commonality with any honorable man.
As for the real skier bit......I skied over twenty mountains, over
forty days and counting, and the season isn't over yet.
Which makes me a far more real skier (not to mention real man) than
Richard Henry is. Or ever will be.
Now go **** yourself, Dickless Dick.
Old May 10th 08, 11:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On May 10, 11:07*am, klaus wrote:
Caution, Gloat ahead.

Best corn yet this morning. A pretty good freeze last night, 26F, on
the porch. Crunchy early, but about 11:00 AM, the sun ripened the snow
to textbook corn conditions. Totally supportable for Ms. Dawg. Totally
carvable for me. Hero Snow. Worthy of a Brave Hungarian
Warrior. Skinned and skied from the door. Not bad for May 10. Didn't
see a single other soul. No rocks. No bare spots. Except the plowed
drive. And the best news is that the snow on the deck is down to a
point where I think I'll clear it after a few more hours of sun. And
then it will be time for some planting and a beer in the sun.

Worthy of Horvath.
Gloat.
I just love it when Biggers shows what a pathetic loser he is,
committing felonies over a stupid newsgroup just so he has a place to
pose, preen, and gloat. Especially when he shows what a dickless wack
job he is. Sociable to Horvath. Two freaks, beneath contempt, find
each other.
Ah, love.
Giggle.
Old May 10th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Jay Pique wrote:
You suck. No snow here whatsoever. Plenty of dandelions though,
which, strangely, has become a good thing. I've forgone using weed
killer on the lawn, and now spend 15 minutes a day walking around
pulling them up with an old-school dandelion weeder. It's quite
satisfying to get those tap-roots whole, and the whole process is
really meditative. Sometimes I stop and do some push-ups or planks
and then just lay in the evening sun. Probably just age, but I'm
taking real pleasure in it lately!

I do the same thing with Scotish Thistle. That is *the* most heinous
plant imaginable. And it is the national flower of
Scotland. Masochists. That crap hurts. But yes, it is somewhat
meditative to get them out by the roots. It's such a good feeling to
feel that "pohp" as the whole tap root comes out, and you know you
have won.

Can't you eat the dandies? I think they have to get close to flowering
though. I also hear you can make wine.

sigh Still...it would be so nice to be able to ski perfect corn
snow out my back door on May 10th though... You suck. Enjoy every
minute of it.

What else can I do? The garden is still under 5 feet of snow, but I
got several pots of seeds started and the deck has been hashed down to
slush. And I had a great training session with the dawg. Best of the
year. There's some ski lift poles out in the parking lot for the new
lift, and they are a great way to get her to "cowboy up". They're
probably 60 feet long and a good safe size for her passage but it
takes courage to go the length. She's cool with it as long as there is
a Frisbee waiting at the other end that gets a good ol' heave. First
few tries were a good lesson for us both. She's chowing on her reward
right now. And I'll chuckle every time I ride that lift, knowing
dogger went through pole 11.

Tomorrow, the hummingbird feeders come out.

-klaus
Old May 11th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

klaus wrote:
Can't you eat the dandies? I think they have to get close to flowering
though.

Yes, dandelion greens are not only edible, but quite tasty when young.
Pick them early in the season, long before the flowers go to seed.

I also hear you can make wine.

Yes, you can make wine out of dandelions. (You can make wine out of
damn near anything that ferments when it rots. ) The thing is, the wine
is so atrocious that the only people who will drink it are Hungarian
Warriors.

//Walt
Old May 11th 08, 04:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Sat, 10 May 2008 23:24:07 -0400, Walt wrote
this crap:

Yes, dandelion greens are not only edible, but quite tasty when young.
Pick them early in the season, long before the flowers go to seed.

I also hear you can make wine.

Yes, you can make wine out of dandelions. (You can make wine out of
damn near anything that ferments when it rots. ) The thing is, the wine
is so atrocious that the only people who will drink it are Hungarian
Warriors.

Actually, Hungarian warriors drink slivowitz, and another drink
called, "Bull's Blood." You couldn't handle it.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old May 11th 08, 07:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
Can't you eat the dandies? I think they have to get close to flowering
though.

Yes, dandelion greens are not only edible, but quite tasty when young.
Pick them early in the season, long before the flowers go to seed.

Stick a flower-pot upside down over them to blanch the leaves and reduce
the bitterness. Scat could try this too...
Old May 11th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
ant[_16_]

Walt wrote:
klaus wrote:
Can't you eat the dandies? I think they have to get close to
flowering though.

Yes, dandelion greens are not only edible, but quite tasty when young.
Pick them early in the season, long before the flowers go to seed.

I also hear you can make wine.

Yes, you can make wine out of dandelions. (You can make wine out of
damn near anything that ferments when it rots. ) The thing is, the
wine is so atrocious that the only people who will drink it are
Hungarian Warriors.

I've often wondered about dandelion wine, figure it'd be weird and bitter
like dandelions? And chicory, I hate that stuff. I bought a packet of
mesclun mix seeds, it's meant to be all kinds of nice things but what I get
in abundance is bloody chicory. Yuck. I wonder if you can make wine out of
that?

--
ant
Don't try to email me!