Control freaq

Old March 1st 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bumpfreaq

Default Control freaq

Edge control: No problem.
Speed control: Got it down.
Balance control: Usually pretty good.
Snot control: Big problem.

Anybody have any hints? These snowy days just seem to take it out of
me, at least as far as my mustache. I use the soft wipey part of my
glove all the time, I do a full blow every so often but still the
problem persists. I guess I have a very prolific nose. I know I'm
not the only one with the problem, I see it in the lift lines.
Someone somewhere must have a solution. Jello Biaftra suggests coking
up my nose to dry away the snot, but that's a little further into
controlled substances than I'm willing to go. Anybody?

Cheers,
Chris

Old March 1st 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

bumpfreaq wrote:

Edge control: No problem.
Speed control: Got it down.
Balance control: Usually pretty good.
Snot control: Big problem.

Anybody have any hints? These snowy days just seem to take it out of
me, at least as far as my mustache. I use the soft wipey part of my
glove all the time, I do a full blow every so often but still the
problem persists. I guess I have a very prolific nose. I know I'm
not the only one with the problem, I see it in the lift lines.
Someone somewhere must have a solution. Jello Biaftra suggests coking
up my nose to dry away the snot, but that's a little further into
controlled substances than I'm willing to go. Anybody?

Allergy pills? I used to use Allerest, but now have to use Sudafed -- both
dry up the mucus membranes nicely. Minor allergies to some pollen and some
animals, so I just pop a pill each morning. So far, so good.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 1st 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

bumpfreaq wrote:
Edge control: No problem.
Speed control: Got it down.
Balance control: Usually pretty good.
Snot control: Big problem.

Anybody have any hints? These snowy days just seem to take it out of
me, at least as far as my mustache. I use the soft wipey part of my
glove all the time, I do a full blow every so often but still the
problem persists. I guess I have a very prolific nose. I know I'm
not the only one with the problem, I see it in the lift lines.
Someone somewhere must have a solution. Jello Biaftra suggests coking
up my nose to dry away the snot, but that's a little further into
controlled substances than I'm willing to go. Anybody?

Cheers,
Chris

The mustache is the the thing. Extremely effective in snot
control. I know I have one. It drools down and freezes. This
while actually skiing. Then when you board the lift, you
simply break the frozen snot off and discard. Here's what
you need to do:

Don't bring your neck gaiter above your lower lip, it isn't
effective anyway above that point and IT just gets wet and
snotty. One of those nose protectors that fastens onto your
goggles above your nose is OK, but nothing under your nose.

Actually, if you use sudafed, your nose won't drip too much,
but I don't like the stuff because it speeds me up worse
than caffeine (it's a raw material source for illegal speed).
Old March 2nd 07, 12:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
John R. Copeland

"VtSkier" wrote in message ...

Actually, if you use sudafed, your nose won't drip too much,
but I don't like the stuff because it speeds me up worse
than caffeine (it's a raw material source for illegal speed).

Sudafed also causes temporary prostate swelling.
That might be OK for you young guys, but we senior citizens
have enough trouble peeing already without it. :-(
Old March 2nd 07, 12:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

bumpfreaq wrote:
[...]

I hope you properly dispose of your effluvia in an approved hazmat container.

Don't bring your neck gaiter above your lower lip, it isn't
effective anyway above that point and IT just gets wet and
snotty. One of those nose protectors that fastens onto your
goggles above your nose is OK, but nothing under your nose.

Actually, if you use sudafed, your nose won't drip too much,
but I don't like the stuff because it speeds me up worse
than caffeine (it's a raw material source for illegal speed).

I've always envied people who responded to caffeine -- unfortunately it
makes no difference. Allerest never did anything but dry up my nose and
mouth either, but that was enough.

You can still get real Sudafed, but it's behind the counter. The stuff out
on the shelves contains phenylephrine instead of pseudoephedrine. I can't
tell the difference.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Luge strategy? Lie flat and try not to die."

Old March 2nd 07, 02:39 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:52:17 -0800, The Real Bev
wrote:

VtSkier wrote:

bumpfreaq wrote:
[...]

Sudafed doesn't do me much good. Actifed (pseudoephedrine and some
kind of antihistamine) dries my snot-factory right up. I turned my
ferociously-allergic-to-everything mother-in-law onto it, and it
worked for her too.

bw
Old March 2nd 07, 04:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

bdubya wrote:

wrote:
You can still get real Sudafed, but it's behind the counter. The stuff out
on the shelves contains phenylephrine instead of pseudoephedrine. I can't
tell the difference.

Sudafed doesn't do me much good. Actifed (pseudoephedrine and some
kind of antihistamine) dries my snot-factory right up. I turned my
ferociously-allergic-to-everything mother-in-law onto it, and it
worked for her too.

We owe Costco a lot. Their significantly cheaper versions of Aleve (first
non-Demerol pain reliever that actually worked for me), Benadryl and Sudafed
are excellent.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 2nd 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mike Treseler

bumpfreaq wrote:

Anybody have any hints?

I shaved mine off.

-- Mike Treseler
Old March 3rd 07, 12:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Espressopithecus (Java Man)

In article om,
says...
Someone somewhere must have a solution.

Nose tampons.

Java
Old March 3rd 07, 12:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Bob Lee wrote:

Master the 'Farmer Blow" also known less elegantly as the 'snot rocket':
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=farmer+blow
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...rm=snot+rocket

Google will provide further references and instruction.

It takes a little more skill if you have a mustache, but once you've got
it down you'll be able to clear all facial and other obstructions with a
quick press and blast even while skiing fast. Practice makes perfect.

BUT FIRST make sure that nobody big enough to beat the **** out of you is
close enough behind you to take the full benefit of the blast.

--
Cheers,
Bev