A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » Alpine Skiing
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Where would you go from Sedona AZ?

Old September 4th 16, 01:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Where would you go from Sedona AZ?

What is a reasonable compromise between travel time and great skiing? Something more than Arizona Snowbowl. I happen to like groomed trails, so the amount they do is an important factor also.
Thanks.
Old September 4th 16, 01:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 7:34:37 AM UTC-6, Toller wrote:
What is a reasonable compromise between travel time and great skiing? Something more than Arizona Snowbowl. I happen to like groomed trails, so the amount they do is an important factor also.
Thanks.

Brian Head pops into mind. Telluride, Crested Butte maybe? Taos? That's about all your options. Do you have a map?
Old September 5th 16, 12:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 6:34:37 AM UTC-7, Toller wrote:
Thanks.

Curiously, you are about equidistant between Big Bear areas and Northern New Mexico areas.
Old September 5th 16, 03:40 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 09/04/2016 05:26 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
What is a reasonable compromise between travel time and great
skiing? Something more than Arizona Snowbowl. I happen to like
groomed trails, so the amount they do is an important factor also.
Thanks.

Curiously, you are about equidistant between Big Bear areas and
Northern New Mexico areas.

Grandson (snowboarded once) and friend (never-ever skier) had a good
time at Angelfire...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke
up in a bathtub filled with ice and I had an extra kidney."

Old September 5th 16, 08:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 5:26:10 PM UTC-7, Richard Henry wrote:
Thanks.

Curiously, you are about equidistant between Big Bear areas and Northern New Mexico areas.

How about a tour of second-rank areas? Mt Charleston in Nevada, then June Mt in California, Mt Rose back in Nevada, and Mt Shasta in California. I guarantee no one has ever done that tour before.
Old September 5th 16, 08:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee
external usenet poster

On 9/5/16 1:16 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Thanks.

How about a tour of second-rank areas? Mt Charleston in Nevada, then June Mt in California, Mt Rose back in Nevada, and Mt Shasta in California. I guarantee no one has ever done that tour before.

Had to look Shasta up - last I noticed was back in the late 70s when the
avalanche took out the lifts; I didn't notice when local money opened a
low key ski area on the flank: so, go ahead and send ski folks up to Shasta.
In any case, Shasta the mountain should be on everyone's bucket list.

Old September 6th 16, 03:45 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 1:44:35 PM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 9/5/16 1:16 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
Thanks.

Had to look Shasta up - last I noticed was back in the late 70s when the
avalanche took out the lifts; I didn't notice when local money opened a
low key ski area on the flank: so, go ahead and send ski folks up to Shasta.
In any case, Shasta the mountain should be on everyone's bucket list.

You gotta respect a ski area where the lifts go nowhere near the top, and it still gets wiped out by avalanche.

The only time I have been there is summer of 1972, when my brother and I were both in the Navy. I picked him up at Mare Island where he was in DS school and we drove up on a Friday afternoon. The next day before dawn we started an attempt to climb Shasta. I underestimated a few things - how far away Shasta is, how high the mountain is, and how much snow was left on the mountain late in the summer - one of the few places in California with glaciers, and we had no ice gear. I was in the middle of an odd Navy assignment then - overnight watches 4 nights in a row, then 4 days off, so my rhythms were totally whacked. I dropped him back at Mare Island late Sunday, and then had to drive straight through to get back to San Diego in time.
Old September 6th 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 2:16:20 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
Thanks.

I worked lifts at Mt. Rose in 1975. Stayed often at the Christmas Tree restaurant on the highway just below. My friend were caretakers. Had a place in Incline.
Old September 6th 16, 03:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry
external usenet poster

On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 8:23:38 PM UTC-7, pigo wrote:
On Monday, September 5, 2016 at 2:16:20 PM UTC-6, Richard Henry wrote:
Thanks.

I worked lifts at Mt. Rose in 1975. Stayed often at the Christmas Tree restaurant on the highway just below. My friend were caretakers. Had a place in Incline.

I skied Mt Rose in the middle of my campaign a few years back to ski every area close to Lake Tahoe. Strange layout.
Old September 8th 16, 06:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Toller[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, September 4, 2016 at 9:34:37 AM UTC-4, Toller wrote:
Thanks.

Brian Head looks to be the best bet, especially since we can then stop over at Bryce.
Do they normally have a fair amount of groomed trails?