Roof Rack or Cargo box?

Old August 19th 04, 05:34 AM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 13:17:50 +0900, tm wrote:

Spend the extra money and get on you can sleep in. The apocalypse is
nigh.

Heck, I'll just get one of those new Costco caskets and solve several
concerns with one purchase.
Old August 19th 04, 02:43 PM
Marty

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message
Guys,

The big question I would have with a box is, is it easily removable
between trips? I wouldn't want a cargo box if it's a permanent fixture
on the vehicle. Second, how the heck are you supposed to really get to
it on a van? I guess you just open a side-door and get to it that way?

Go with the Box.

I'm 5'9" and I can install and remove my Thule Evolution 1800 on my
Expedition by myself. It fits nicely in my garage on the rafters. I
covered the 2x4s of the rafters with some old towel pieces and I just slide
it up there - using a step ladder of course. :-) They have some really
clever clamps/U-bolts for clamping the box to the rack - really slick! No
tools required.

The feature that sold me on the Thule was the ability to open it on both
sides. This way, I center it on the vehicle roof and can load/unload from
both sides - very useful.

I also upgraded the stock rack to a Thule rack because the stock bars are
flimsy and I experienced "wobble" at high speeds (over 70) with the stock
bars. That was not cool.

This box is useful for so many things other than skis. Camping gear, bike
gear, luggage and when the kids won't be quiet on those long road trips...
just kidding.
--
Marty

Old August 19th 04, 02:48 PM
Marty

"Marty" wrote in message news:...
[...]

Oh yea, for this I do not need a step ladder - just the running/boards or
bumper or step up into the door way of the vehicle.
--
Marty

Old August 19th 04, 03:04 PM
bdubya

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 23:58:17 -0400, Rich Heimlich
wrote:

(snipped)

What started out as a perceived purchase of about $150 has turned into
a major investment.

You get used to that after a while. Welcome to the world of skiing.

bw
Old August 19th 04, 04:06 PM
lal_truckee

Rich Heimlich wrote:
I'm
despising summer for the first time in my life and think of little
else other than getting back on the slopes. It's literally like
Christmas again. I'm not kidding. I've been counting weeks until
Thanksgiving when I first trip of the season is due.

That's normal.

But you won't be a true skier until you suffer from seasonally reversed
SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and get clinical depression syndromes
in the Spring that last all Summer until the snow returns and once again
everything is copacetic.
Old August 19th 04, 05:26 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 14:47:52 +0900, tm wrote:

1000 gallon concrete septic tanks mounted atop your ... wait, did you
say Chrysler? (chort)... van.

heheh. Trust me, I'm as nervous about it as possible. We started out
looking at Honda Odyssey's, Toyota Sienna's and the like. Meanwhile a
family member has owned 3 Dodge Caravan's that he's put tons of miles
on and never had a problem. A neighbor who is a car dealer has owned 4
Chrysler/Dodge vans and swears by them (not at them). I haven't bought
an American-made car in 20 years.
Old August 19th 04, 05:29 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:06:00 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote:

But you won't be a true skier until you suffer from seasonally reversed
SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and get clinical depression syndromes
in the Spring that last all Summer until the snow returns and once again
everything is copacetic.

I think if you asked my wife, she'd tell you I'm right in the middle
of that. I just keep thinking of places to move where I can ski nearly
year-round (not totally as I'd miss some nice weather) and where,
perhaps, I can get away from the outrageous property taxes of NJ (in 5
years my property taxes have just about doubled) while many other
states pay 1/20th of our taxes for incredible properties on lots of
land.
Old August 19th 04, 05:30 PM
Rich Heimlich

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:43:38 -0500, "Marty" wrote:

I also upgraded the stock rack to a Thule rack because the stock bars are
flimsy and I experienced "wobble" at high speeds (over 70) with the stock
bars. That was not cool.

What make of van out of curiosity? Also, did you remove the old bars?
Old August 19th 04, 07:01 PM
Dave Stallard

Richard Henry wrote:

And it seems to be owrking.

I just posted a Bertie there.

Looks like you're the new moderator! Congratulations!

Dave
Old August 19th 04, 07:15 PM
Marty

"Rich Heimlich" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:43:38 -0500, "Marty" wrote:

I also upgraded the stock rack to a Thule rack because the stock bars are
flimsy and I experienced "wobble" at high speeds (over 70) with the stock
bars. That was not cool.

What make of van out of curiosity? Also, did you remove the old bars?

Not a van - Ford Expedition. Yes, I removed the stock bars (the aerodynamic
looking ones which a really flimsy and only adjustable on the rear bar) and
replaced with a Thule rack kit that has mounts that use the stock tracks on
the roof. Really nice system. Fully adjustable, stable at any speed (well,
that I know of), and easy to install. They even have locks on them. It's
expensive stuff, but, it'll last a long, long time. Will be using again
this weekend for a camping trip.
--
Marty

Ski/Board rack Ace Snowboarding 2 March 5th 04 11:11 PM
keeping skis in roof box for a couple of weeks DZN Alpine Skiing 4 February 27th 04 02:24 PM
Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack??? John Davison Snowboarding 9 January 14th 04 06:20 PM
Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack??? John Davison Alpine Skiing 9 January 14th 04 06:20 PM
FA YAKIMA BUTTONDOWN 6 Ski Rack ends Nov 25 Jimpy Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 11:28 PM