Question to those who ski regularly

Old December 26th 03, 01:39 PM
FHemmer209

Default Question to those who ski regularly

I work out regularly all year with and put more of an emphasis on proper ski
conditioning so I am prepared for my three to four trips a year.

My question is to ski area locals who ski all winter: Do you work out during
the ski season or does the sport itself provide enough conditioning?

Fred
Old December 26th 03, 02:41 PM
houseslave

I'm a couch potato and I can ski hard for 5 straight days out west and not a
hint of fatigue. It's more effort to get my boots on. If you know how to
ski properly you don't have to be a weight lifter to ski.

Old December 26th 03, 04:30 PM
Ron N.Y

I disagree , you might have great technique and not need to work out but personally my skiing has improved greatly by
strengthening my legs and doing balance work on a balance board . My thighs don't burn as much , my stamina has improved , my
overall skiing has improved . When my legs get tired is when I make mistakes and fall . Anything that gives you more strength
,endurance and balance can't be a bad thing . Some people can lay on the couch and still ski good , some people need more .
Ron

Old December 26th 03, 05:58 PM
BoftheW

In article , Ron N.Y says...

Snip

Two words: Mountain Biking. Nothing is better for conditioning. Don't rely on
skiing alone to condition your legs/lungs, you will be sorry the first week or
longer.

BoftheW

Old December 26th 03, 08:15 PM
Sue

In message , BoftheW
writes

Two words: Mountain Biking. Nothing is better for conditioning. Don't rely on
skiing alone to condition your legs/lungs, you will be sorry the first week or
longer.

Both of the above.

I spent four days skiing with a group of mountain bikers: the ones
complaining about their fitness were the ones whose ski technique was
scrappy, not the ones who were less fit on a bike.

OTOH, skiing does involve carrying your weight on your flexed legs. If
you're going somewhere that has lift queues, train by just standing with
your legs slightly bent for half an hour with a dumbell in each hand to
represent the weight of your skis.
--
Sue ];(

Old December 26th 03, 10:04 PM
The Real Bev

Sue wrote:

In message , BoftheW
writes

Two words: Mountain Biking. Nothing is better for conditioning. Don't rely on
skiing alone to condition your legs/lungs, you will be sorry the first week or
longer.

Both of the above.

I spent four days skiing with a group of mountain bikers: the ones
complaining about their fitness were the ones whose ski technique was
scrappy, not the ones who were less fit on a bike.

OTOH, skiing does involve carrying your weight on your flexed legs. If
you're going somewhere that has lift queues, train by just standing with
your legs slightly bent for half an hour with a dumbell in each hand to
represent the weight of your skis.

Wouldn't it be more representative to stand on the dumbbells instead of
holding them?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 27th 03, 03:09 PM
Flyfire

I ski all winter and find my general/aerobic fitness actually reduces. To
the point I am considering buying a crosstrainer for my ski place.

Good news is that my legs and especially my thighs become very strong and I
find no problem skiing all day every day.

Like some of the other contributors I agree that its about technique and
fitness. I think that probably applies to all sports.

Regards,

Steve

Old December 27th 03, 03:54 PM
pigo

"FHemmer209" wrote in message
I work out regularly all year with and put more of an emphasis on proper

ski
conditioning so I am prepared for my three to four trips a year.

My question is to ski area locals who ski all winter: Do you work out

during
the ski season or does the sport itself provide enough conditioning?

I used to just ski myself into shape. It took about 10 days. I worked
construction in the summer. I don't know if that helped.

One overlooked part is the stomach. IMO the most important part. It can
compensate for weaker parts. Strong other parts can't compensate for a weak
stomach.

pigo

Old December 27th 03, 04:32 PM
Terd Fartingmor

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 09:54:22 -0700, "pigo"
wrote this crap:

I used to just ski myself into shape. It took about 10 days. I worked
construction in the summer. I don't know if that helped.

Most construction workers I know are beer-bellied out-of-shape
sweathogs. Of course I've never met you, so that may not describe
you.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe