Vail Late March

Old February 20th 09, 01:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

Default Vail Late March

I will be at Vail late March. I expect Spring conditions. Ice in the
morning, slush in the afternoon. It seems to me there must be a skiing
pattern that reduces this, like skiing in the sun in the morning and moving
to areas that are less sunny in the afternoon. I don't recall where the sun
is and how the various mountain faces face. Anyone have any relevant
advice?

Old February 20th 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
DZN

I had thought of that but I was hoping someone with skiing experience at
Vail might have specific hints.

Old February 20th 09, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
hr(bob) [email protected]

Vail might have specific wrote in message

On Feb 20, 7:23 am, "DZN" wrote:

I will be at Vail late March. I expect Spring conditions. Ice in the
morning, slush in the afternoon. It seems to me there must be a skiing
pattern that reduces this, like skiing in the sun in the morning and
moving
to areas that are less sunny in the afternoon. I don't recall where the
sun
is and how the various mountain faces face. Anyone have any relevant
advice?

Google Earth

The back bowls face south and the front of the mountain faces north -
what else do you need to know?
Old February 20th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

DZN wrote:

Google Earth

Watch out for Google Earth - the new version is going to modify your
computer without asking you; it has functionality to do unapproved
automatic updates, and not just of Google software - who knows what else
they diddle with once they have access. Not a good thing at all.

I thought they had removed this feature, but just yesterday noticed it's
still part of the download package.
Old February 20th 09, 10:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
A mighty Hungarian warrior

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 14:23:21 GMT, "DZN"
wrote this crap:

I will be at Vail late March. I expect Spring conditions. Ice in the
morning, slush in the afternoon. It seems to me there must be a skiing
pattern that reduces this, like skiing in the sun in the morning and moving
to areas that are less sunny in the afternoon. I don't recall where the sun
is and how the various mountain faces face. Anyone have any relevant
advice?

Duh! The conditions will be perfect. I don't know what you're used
to. You don't know where the sun is? Get a clue.

Advice? Don't go to france, and don't drop your rum flask.

And vote for Sarah Palin in 2012.

A mighty Hungarian warrior
The blood of Attila runs through me
Old February 20th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

lal_truckee wrote:
DZN wrote:

Google Earth

Watch out for Google Earth - the new version is going to modify your
computer without asking you; it has functionality to do unapproved
automatic updates, and not just of Google software - who knows what
else they diddle with once they have access. Not a good thing at all.

I thought they had removed this feature, but just yesterday noticed
it's still part of the download package.

How do you notice this?

Old February 20th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

lal_truckee wrote:
DZN wrote:

Google Earth

Watch out for Google Earth - the new version is going to modify your
computer without asking you; it has functionality to do unapproved
automatic updates, and not just of Google software - who knows what else
they diddle with once they have access. Not a good thing at all.

I thought they had removed this feature, but just yesterday noticed it's
still part of the download package.

you must have missed the
"Google is evil"
memo
Old February 20th 09, 10:52 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
downhill

http://googlewatch.eweek.com/content...AV01062009STR1
Old February 20th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Bob F wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
DZN wrote:
Google Earth

Watch out for Google Earth - the new version is going to modify your
computer without asking you; it has functionality to do unapproved
automatic updates, and not just of Google software - who knows what
else they diddle with once they have access. Not a good thing at all.

I thought they had removed this feature, but just yesterday noticed
it's still part of the download package.

How do you notice this?

A web site said to get the latest version of Google Earth; so I
downloaded it. The installer said the automatic upgrade software would
also install. I remember reading about this awhile ago, but assumed
Google would want to protect their rep and would have withdrawn the
"feature." I was wrong. I quit the installer and tossed the download.