Goin' Big For Warren Miller

Old January 23rd 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

Default Goin' Big For Warren Miller

Another dead kid...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?cnn=yes

--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 23rd 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

Another dead kid...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ies.ap/index.h
tml?cnn=yes

As in all of life, there are risks in skiing, and as in all of life, we
each must decide which risks are worth it to ourselves to take.

At 28, Billy Poole wasn't a kid and was old enough to make his own
informed choices about what risks he would take. It's sad when anyone
dies, but at least he died doing something that was his own choice.

If you really want to be sad, be sad for someone killed by a reckless
driver or any other cause over which they had no control.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 23rd 08, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

Another dead kid...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ies.ap/index.h
tml?cnn=yes

As in all of life, there are risks in skiing, and as in all of life, we
each must decide which risks are worth it to ourselves to take.

At 28, Billy Poole wasn't a kid and was old enough to make his own
informed choices about what risks he would take. It's sad when anyone
dies, but at least he died doing something that was his own choice.

If you really want to be sad, be sad for someone killed by a reckless
driver or any other cause over which they had no control.

Some days you eats the mountain and some days the
mountain eats you.

What Alan said plus the note that if you are on
the edge, which most "extreme" skiers are, you are
likely to fall off the edge.

We had a cliff/avalanche accident resulting in a
death... at Stowe for pete's sake... a couple of
years ago.

I always tried not to go too near the edge and so
I'm still at it 50 odd years later. However, my
best friend from high school was killed in an auto
accident when we were 19. It was two-car head on,
the other driver dead of a heart attack before the
collision occurred.
Old January 23rd 08, 01:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

VtSkier wrote:

We had a cliff/avalanche accident resulting in a
death... at Stowe for pete's sake... a couple of
years ago.

There was a kid who was killed by skiing into a tree at Mt Holly a
couple of years ago. On green trail, no less.

I always tried not to go too near the edge and so
I'm still at it 50 odd years later. However, my
best friend from high school was killed in an auto
accident when we were 19. It was two-car head on,
the other driver dead of a heart attack before the
collision occurred.

When my time comes, I want to die like my grandfather did: quietly and
in his sleep. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

//Walt
Old January 23rd 08, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Alan Baker wrote:

If you really want to be sad, be sad for someone killed by a reckless
driver or any other cause over which they had no control.

I'll be sad for them all, thank you.
Nobody deserves it more than the next guy.

That's some nice country out there behind Solitude; I do think it's
sufficiently rewarding that leaping and/or falling off a cliff is not
necessary for proper appreciation.

I've never understood this silly cliff jumping pipe riding "hey lookit
me" nonsense.
Old January 23rd 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
lal_truckee wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:

If you really want to be sad, be sad for someone killed by a reckless
driver or any other cause over which they had no control.

I'll be sad for them all, thank you.

I find that hard to believe. Being sad for all the people who die
earlier than of natural causes would leave you paralysed.

Nobody deserves it more than the next guy.

Someone who engages in a risky activity deserves it more than someone
who avoids such risks. Not a value judgement about the person, just the
hard fact that when you accept risk, you have to really accept it.

BTW, I deserved my knee injury more than a pedestrian who had it happen
by being hit by a car.

That's some nice country out there behind Solitude; I do think it's
sufficiently rewarding that leaping and/or falling off a cliff is not
necessary for proper appreciation.

And no one is saying that there's anything wrong with that.

I've never understood this silly cliff jumping pipe riding "hey lookit
me" nonsense.

You don't have to understand what makes other people happy. I don't
understand bungee jumping.

Old January 23rd 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Harry Weiner

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:53:20 -0500, Walt
wrote this crap:

There was a kid who was killed by skiing into a tree at Mt Holly a
couple of years ago. On green trail, no less.

All the trails at Mt. Holly are green.

When my time comes, I want to die like my grandfather did: quietly and
in his sleep. Not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car.

Wow. That's the way my grandfather died. Except he didn't have any
passengers. The tree he hit, never recovered.

My T-shirt says, "This shirt is the
ultimate power in the universe."
Old January 23rd 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jeff Davis

In article ],
Alan Baker wrote:

You don't have to understand what makes other people happy. I don't
understand bungee jumping.

You don't understand skiing wild snow. YOu ****ed yourself up inbounds and
Avy controlled. The only place in North America with out of bound moguls
is Jackson Hole. Btw- John Elway played his entire Stanford and NFL careers
with out an ACL. He had all the money he needed for reconstructive surgery
when he signed with the Broncos. What that idiot pimple faced New Jersey
****wad doesn't realize is alot of us have knees that are inoperable.

And you continue to spew bul**** beyond your experience.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old January 24th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Ted Waldron

In article ,
(Jeff Davis) wrote:

In article ],
Alan Baker wrote:

You don't have to understand what makes other people happy. I don't
understand bungee jumping.

You don't understand skiing wild snow. YOu ****ed yourself up inbounds and
Avy controlled. The only place in North America with out of bound moguls
is Jackson Hole.

Uh, wrong. Go up to Singing Pass up Fitzsimmons Creek at Whistler
Blackcomb on a bluebird powder day, and there are going to be moguls,
there are plenty of places on Shuksan Arm outside of Mt. Baker Ski Area,
that get skied out, and moguled. Any slope that is popular with Yo-yo
skiing will get moguls. Ditto with many places around Mammoth Mtn or
south of there like Lamarck Col. There are certain slopes at Rogers
Pass that are popular and get skied out, and looks like many inbound ski
areas..

Besides, how incredibly boring, to ski backcountry/out of bounds and
there are moguls, it means the snow sucks, given there hasn't been a
dump for some time, or all the fun lines have been taken.

Old January 24th 08, 12:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Jeff Davis wrote:
... The only place in North America with out of bound moguls
is Jackson Hole.

Condolences.