A good day at Grand Targee

Old March 14th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bert Hoff[_2_]

Default A good day at Grand Targee

VtSkier wrote:
Bert Hoff wrote:

I have a real fancy rig ... old Tyrolian front-throw cable bindings. I
just clip in the cable when going downhill.

Kewl, I still have a pair of new surplus army style
bindings. Compatible with any boot, bear trap and
front throw, strap over the boot toe, no 3 pin, low
hitches (remember?) to clip or unclip as desired. Never
mounted them. I think Ramer made them for the army.

Yup, two low hitches on each side.

Not the safest for lateral twists, since my toes are still in a 3-pin
"bear claw," but it does prevent the embarrassing face-plant between
the tips of my skis. ;-)

I have them on a new pair of Rossi BC-90s, that I managed to pick up
new for $60.

Uhm, are those the ones that pretty much look like
tele skis but have a fish scale base? If so nice score.
A friend of mine has a pair of what I described.
Look like they'd do the trick very nicely.

Those are the ones. Fish scale. Full metal edges, wide platform, shaped
-- and very light.

Bert
Old March 14th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ],
Alan Baker wrote:

But the best in the world on the steepest iciest race courses are using
inside and outside edges much more evenly these days.

What edge were you using when you ****ed your knee up, Mr. Level I ski
instructor who can't ski worth a ****?

You first. What technique were you using when you blew your ACL? That
you *still* can't afford to get fixed, gimpy.

-klaus

Old March 14th 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
Bert Hoff wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:
In article ,
Bert Hoff wrote:

VtSkier wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:
In article
],
Alan Baker wrote:
But the best in the world on the steepest iciest race courses are
using inside and outside edges much more evenly these days.
What edge were you using when you ****ed your knee up, Mr. Level I
ski
instructor who can't ski worth a ****? --
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted
trouble-maker."
Jeffy,
This thread was actually a good conversation
about SKIING and ski technique of all things.

You could keep it that way and send your little
barbs in non-skiing threads.

Or, you could join the thread with your experience
regarding skiing and ski technique. I don't
usually ski the kind of hill and conditions that
you do. I'd like to hear how you might ski
Corbet's for instance.
It WAS, up until the point that Baker decided he needed to take a
cheap
shot at me, making a point to me about even-weighting on ice that I
had
already made.

Baker's cheap shot got what it deserved.

Bert
What cheap shot did I take, Bert? By all means, quote it...

"But the best in the world on the steepest iciest race courses are
using
inside and outside edges much more evenly these days."

Pointing out the obvious to me, after I had already discussed it and
agreed with the point ... pretending as if I didn't know it.
Or just not having seen it.

Whatever: it's just not a "cheap shot".

I'm sorry, but modern technique favours more even weighting of the skis
under *all* conditions.
Well, I'm glad that PSIA is teaching *generally* a more even
weighting of skis because turns can be quicker and balance
is MUCH better.

Just so you know, I do ski frequently with the local PSIA
instructors, for fun, they are friends.

However, that strongly weighting the outside ski, will cause
the ski to bend more and the *carved* turn radius will shorten.
This is best done on an edgeable surface as previously discussed.

What will happen here is that with the shorter radius in what
is planned as a big GS type turn is the feeling of pulling
a few more "G"s than is normal which IS a rush.

It is interesting to note that the PSIA has always tried to be
"up to date" in skiing technique. That means that technique
has changed as time passed. I have lived through all of those
changes and have a huge arsenal of turn types or techniques
that I can call on for difficult situations or just for fun.
Thanks, PSIA.

Yes you can ski with feet tight together and swish your skis
back and forth in the fall line (wedln) with modern equipment.

Oh, believe me: I know.

I am a CSIA Level I instructor who'd be a Level II by now if it weren't
for a little matter of a torn ACL.

And even that shorter radius "rush" can be accomplished with pretty
close to even weighting on both skis. Yes: it can be easier to make it
happen on one ski, but overall your balance is more precarious than if
your weight was more equally distributed.

I think I pointed out the 'balance' thingy with my caution
to do it one legged on an edgeable surface.

Even on an edgeable surface, even weighting is better.

At least that's what the high-priced lessons I've gotten have told me
(one nice perk of being an instructor is the free high-level
instruction). :-)

A big part of the trick is to develop really good pressure control. As
you progress through a sharply carved turn, the centripetal and
gravitational forces start to align leading to greater pressure and that
pressure leads to more bend in the ski, which leads to greater pressure,
etc. But, if you can start the turn with your legs long, you can retract
them in the latter stages of the turn to control the increase in
pressure, until just as you cross over to the new turn your legs can be
quite retracted.

And that leads to an opportunity at the beginning of the new turn to add
pressure at a time when gravity normally works against your ability to
do so. Your legs having been retracted at the end of the old turn, you
can now extend them (and depending on conditions and requirements, add a
little pivot) to reestablish the pressure that produces the required bed
in the skis much earlier in the turn than simply waiting for it allows.

That's what the race coach was showing me a few weeks ago.

What happens with the two-legged stance is that you can be
much quicker into the next turn than one-legged.

Yup.

If your weight is mostly on one leg, it's going to take some time to get
it onto the other leg, whereas if your weight is evenly distributed,
there's one less thing to get done in the transition from turn to turn.

:-)

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old March 15th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"VtSkier" wrote in message

Yes, holding the gloves between the knees is easy. Skiing the inside edges of
both skis at once is less so. ;-)

I believe that's called a wedge, or is it wedgie?

I believe that's the inside of the turn, not the skis.

Old March 15th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bob F

"Bert Hoff" wrote in message
. ..
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

I have definitely heard of Otto Lang. Never
saw his book though.

The one I have, I got recently at a yard sale.

Well that's not surprising.

Did you stop to explain that you're supposed to read first, then ski rather
than trying to do both at the same time?

//Walt

This is a funny statement, but I'm not parsing it very well
as to how it relates to what I said. Am I thick? Probably.

Who am I explaining to?

You can't read and ski at the same time?

I've seen lots of people read and drive a car at the
same time. That's scary.

Can I free associate? Probably.

How about tooling down the freeway and working a crossword puzzle at the same
time?

Try THAT one on skis!

I can't even get the skis in under the steering wheel.

Old March 15th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bert Hoff[_2_]

Bob F wrote:
"Bert Hoff" wrote in message
. ..
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

I have definitely heard of Otto Lang. Never
saw his book though.

The one I have, I got recently at a yard sale.
Well that's not surprising.

Did you stop to explain that you're supposed to read first, then ski rather
than trying to do both at the same time?

//Walt
This is a funny statement, but I'm not parsing it very well
as to how it relates to what I said. Am I thick? Probably.

Who am I explaining to?

You can't read and ski at the same time?

I've seen lots of people read and drive a car at the
same time. That's scary.

Can I free associate? Probably.

How about tooling down the freeway and working a crossword puzzle at the same
time?

Try THAT one on skis!

I can't even get the skis in under the steering wheel.

It's easier with snow blades.

Bert

Cat skiing in Grand Targhee 1/9/06 [email protected] Alpine Skiing 4 January 10th 06 09:06 PM
Grand Targhee Dave W Alpine Skiing 1 June 3rd 04 04:18 PM
Grand Targhee Dave W Alpine Skiing 11 November 5th 03 10:39 PM
Grand Targhee Dave W North American Ski Resorts 6 November 4th 03 12:47 PM
Grand Targhee AstroPax Alpine Skiing (moderated) 0 November 3rd 03 07:23 PM