Recommendation: Wide Board for Skinny Guy??

Old November 8th 04, 05:37 PM
John Davison

Default Recommendation: Wide Board for Skinny Guy??

I'm thinking about buying a new board. I consider myself an advanced
rider. In the past I was predominately a freerider. However, the
last couple of seasons I've been doing more freestyle. I would like
to buy a board that's about 65% freeride, 35% freestyle.

I have unique proportions which makes board shopping a bit difficult.
I'm 6' (182cm) tall, 160 lbs (73kg) and wear a size 13 (30.5) boot.
Most wide boards are built for heavy guys. I'm looking for a wide
board for a light guy!

I would like something that's between 155 - 160cm. I'm currently
looking at the Burton Canyon 156 and the Never Summer Legacy 159. Are
there any other boards out there that fit well with my size and
desired riding style? (I will demo the board before I buy.)

Thanks,

John
Old November 8th 04, 07:04 PM
Waco Paco

John Davison wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a new board. I consider myself an advanced
rider. In the past I was predominately a freerider. However, the
last couple of seasons I've been doing more freestyle. I would like
to buy a board that's about 65% freeride, 35% freestyle.

I have unique proportions which makes board shopping a bit difficult.
I'm 6' (182cm) tall, 160 lbs (73kg) and wear a size 13 (30.5) boot.
Most wide boards are built for heavy guys. I'm looking for a wide
board for a light guy!

I would like something that's between 155 - 160cm. I'm currently
looking at the Burton Canyon 156 and the Never Summer Legacy 159. Are
there any other boards out there that fit well with my size and
desired riding style? (I will demo the board before I buy.)

Thanks,

John

You should check out Atomic Snowboards. Both me and my friend have one
from them and we love it. My friend is of similar proportion to you and
he handles the 03 - 04 Mugshot just fine (it's the wide version of the
03'-04' Alibi, top 10 good wood from transworld). Both the Alibi and
Mugshot were designed for park (its a twin tip) but they were both
fairly stiff (quad-axial fibre glass). My friend had the old 2001 Canyon
but that wasn't as torsionally stiff as the Mugshot, so he says. So for
someone of your level and preference, this year's atomic Dreamraider
which is built for more freeriding.

stu
Old November 8th 04, 07:17 PM
Bruce Chang

"John Davison" wrote in message
om...
I'm thinking about buying a new board. I consider myself an advanced
rider. In the past I was predominately a freerider. However, the
last couple of seasons I've been doing more freestyle. I would like
to buy a board that's about 65% freeride, 35% freestyle.

I have unique proportions which makes board shopping a bit difficult.
I'm 6' (182cm) tall, 160 lbs (73kg) and wear a size 13 (30.5) boot.
Most wide boards are built for heavy guys. I'm looking for a wide
board for a light guy!

I would like something that's between 155 - 160cm. I'm currently
looking at the Burton Canyon 156 and the Never Summer Legacy 159. Are
there any other boards out there that fit well with my size and
desired riding style? (I will demo the board before I buy.)

Thanks,

John

John,
I'm 6'2 and 140lbs and wear a size 11 boot. I'm currently riding a Burton
Seven 158 (9?) It suits me pretty well although I get a little bit of toe
drag. The best thing I've done is just angled my bindings a little more,
though I can't see it'd be any easier for a size 13 boot. You could also
get risers that fit between your board and your bindings to raise your
bindings off the deck of the board. I'm not sure how well they work, I've
read they're alright but I haven't used them so I can't say from personal
experience. Good luck.

-Bruce

Old November 13th 04, 02:15 AM
Brian

Take a good look at the Prior Men's Freeride (MFR). The shortest wide is a
162W. But if you decided you wanted the 158 they could custom the waist
width for you. Call Chris Prior and get more details. They're really well
made boards and well respected.

http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_mfr.php

Brian.

Old November 14th 04, 02:01 AM
Brian

I actually meant to point you to the AMF (All Mountain Freeride) Sorry
about that. I have the MFR. Here's the link
http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_amf.php