Tragic News

Old April 6th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

Default Tragic News

Today, at Gore Mountain, Jay Pique's Technica TNT Explosion 8s
exploded in the line of duty. Literally. Not even duct tape could
prolong their life until the end of the day. I've had skis, poles and
bindings break, and even goggles after a couple of particularly
spectacular wipe-outs, but nothing like the disintegration witnessed
today. My right boot is in pieces. What I found strange was that
they both broke on the same day. I have, however, gotten my money's
worth. By my estimation I skied over 500 days in them. And quite
hard, too.

Now it's time for some NEW GEAR!! Hooray!

JP
*************************
Is telemarque any cheaper?
Old April 7th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Potblak

At a rough guess they were at least 10-15 years old?
I've seen that happen before.
A pal of mine put his boots on in the lodge, walked towards the ski lift and
literally walked out of both boots! It was funny; for the rest of us.
A combination of low temperature, age, UV, and excess plasticiser used in
the manufacturing process.
It tends not to happen with newer production as the injection moulding
presses are bigger and don't require the addition of so much plasticiser to
the mix.

Old April 7th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

JQ wrote:

My first thought was she never really ckicked in all
the way. When she said her boot exploded and all I saw was her foot at the
bottom of the boot it was a little funny. We went in to rent a pair of
boots and thow out the old ones. I figured since they sat for a few years
and were old to start with that the plastic just said enough is enough.

Both exploding Nordicas cracked in half across the instep on the way
back to the car at the end of the day. They were used and cheap and I
got two seasons out of them so I can't complain, and they were at least
courteous enough to wait until 3:00 to self destruct.

--
Cheers, Bev
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old April 7th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
JQ

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
Today, at Gore Mountain, Jay Pique's Technica TNT Explosion 8s
exploded in the line of duty. Literally. Not even duct tape could
prolong their life until the end of the day. I've had skis, poles and
bindings break, and even goggles after a couple of particularly
spectacular wipe-outs, but nothing like the disintegration witnessed
today. My right boot is in pieces. What I found strange was that
they both broke on the same day. I have, however, gotten my money's
worth. By my estimation I skied over 500 days in them. And quite
hard, too.

Now it's time for some NEW GEAR!! Hooray!

JP

I took a newbie up to ski several years ago and lent a pair old ski boots to
her. She had the boots on clicked into the skis and started to push off and
the first boot bottom just came off then the second one did almost the same
thing. It was a sight to see the one ski go off on their own and the other
flapping on her foot. My first thought was she never really ckicked in all
the way. When she said her boot exploded and all I saw was her foot at the
bottom of the boot it was a little funny. We went in to rent a pair of
boots and thow out the old ones. I figured since they sat for a few years
and were old to start with that the plastic just said enough is enough.

By the way JP how was the conditions at Gore? I was going to go up but saw
that it was supposed to rain and freeze I didn't feel like driving 7 hrs. to
skiing ice or super slush.

JQ
Dancing on the edge
*************************
Is telemarque any cheaper?

Old April 7th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bert Hoff[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

My first thought was she never really ckicked in all the way. When
she said her boot exploded and all I saw was her foot at the bottom of
the boot it was a little funny. We went in to rent a pair of boots
and thow out the old ones. I figured since they sat for a few years
and were old to start with that the plastic just said enough is enough.

Both exploding Nordicas cracked in half across the instep on the way
back to the car at the end of the day.

Maybe they got a look at your face.

They were used and cheap

Sort of like you, you mean ...

Bert
Old April 7th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
clarencedarrow

On Apr 7, 12:35*am, Bert Hoff wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:

My first thought was she never really ckicked in all the way. *When
she said her boot exploded and all I saw was her foot at the bottom of
the boot it was a little funny. *We went in to rent a pair of boots
and thow out the old ones. *I figured since they sat for a few years
and were old to start with that the plastic just said enough is enough.

Both exploding Nordicas cracked in half across the instep on the way
back to the car at the end of the day. *

Maybe they got a look at your face.

They were used and cheap

Sort of like you, you mean ...

Bert

The chief pussy of the omega man cult meows. Back from dumpster diving
with Stinky, eh? Is that where you and your Michael Jackson wannabe
get your inventory. The chief bit of irony is that you two thieves
would try to wind up selling those "exploding' Nordicas on the crap
shack as being "lightly used".
Old April 7th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Bert Hoff[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:
JQ wrote:
[...]

Oops! I spoke too soon.

He's still in his manic phase.

Bert
Old April 7th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
[...]

Heh. Worked in on-mountain rental-repair shop at Bear
Mountain/Killington 15 years ago. This is the broken
equipment capital of the world just from the stresses
put on that equipment.

We had two window sill displays. A line of the front
portions of aging ski boots, which were predominantly
Nordica, so we coined the expression "Exploding
Nordica Syndrome." The other display was broken bindings.
These were predominantly Geze heel pieces but all
brands were represented with high end Salomon which
were metal with a plastic veneer never seen.
Old April 7th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Apr 7, 12:08*am, "JQ" wrote:

By the way JP how was the conditions at Gore? *I was going to go up but saw
that it was supposed to rain and freeze I didn't feel like driving 7 hrs. to
skiing ice or super slush.

It wasn't icy in the morning - it was really quite nice. But by about
noon at had really started to slush up, which was right when my boots
broke. Definitely not worth a 7 hour haul, IMO.

JP
Old April 7th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Jay Pique

On Apr 6, 10:14*pm, "Potblak" wrote:
At a rough guess they were at least 10-15 years old?

I bought them sometime in the early 90's. Those years are all a bit
blurry for me.

A combination of low temperature, age, UV, and excess plasticiser used in
the manufacturing process.

I was thinking that UV would definitely have had something to do with
it. What was really surprising was that both boots broke the same
day. FYI and BTW, my estimate for number of days on them is probably
too high - I'd put it at around 350 instead.

It tends not to happen with newer production as the injection moulding
presses are bigger and don't require the addition of so much plasticiser to
the mix.

That's interesting, and something I'm sure I'll repeat without
attribution.

JP