Adjusting Bindings

Old March 6th 07, 07:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Default Adjusting Bindings

Mary Malmros wrote:

You can call him whatever you want, but he has a Winterstieger on his
bench and you don't.

A Winterstieger? I haven't tried that. Is it like Warsteiner? A
wheat beer? An ale?

Anyway, it sounds delicious. Now I'm jealous. Gotta get one for my
tuning bench.

//Walt
Old March 6th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Mary Malmros

Walt wrote in news:12uricsc0akbqc9
@corp.supernews.com:

Mary Malmros wrote:

You can call him whatever you want, but he has a Winterstieger on his
bench and you don't.

A Winterstieger? I haven't tried that. Is it like Warsteiner? A
wheat beer? An ale?

No, it's a rauchbier. It's definitely an acquired taste, and
unfortunately not for consuming in large quantities.

Anyway, it sounds delicious. Now I'm jealous. Gotta get one for my
tuning bench.

Have you ever gotten hurt at the Shed?

Old March 7th 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

bumpfreaq wrote:

On Mar 6, 7:52 am, "MoonMan"
wrote:
Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that follows
will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots to a shop
and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Yep. It's just that easy. $15 and ten minutes later it's done.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started at the
shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just being overly
cynical....

Is it possible to be overly cynical?

Perhaps I'm not being cynical enough but I would think that if a shop
is charging their young newbie part timer with setting up bindings
unsupervised, they would quickly earn a poor reputation.

How closely do they have to be supervised? The tiny tots at Snow Summit
follow the instruction sheet, feed stuff into the computer and then spend 20
seconds on the actual adjustment. There's an older person around doing
something else, and I assume that that's the supervisor.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old March 7th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

Mary Malmros wrote:
"MoonMan" wrote in
:

Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
On Mar 5, 8:36 pm, Alan Fried wrote:

I am probably going to buy skis online. I've never
adjusted bindings to fit a boot. Is it easy to do?

Anybody know what the basics are?

I'll save you a bunch of reading. Every reputable post that
follows will boil down to this: Take your new skis and your boots
to a shop and have the job done by experienced professionals.

Yep. It's just that easy. $15 and ten minutes later it's done.

I do so love the idea that a sixteen year old part timer who started
at the shop last week is an "experienced professional" or am I just
being overly cynical....

You can call him whatever you want, but he has a Winterstieger on his
bench and you don't.

Sorry, what does an automatic Wax, edge and basegrind machine have to do
with fitting and setting bindings? and how do you fit one on a bench.

Seriously your theory may work in litigous America, but I have never seen a
binding test rig over here.
Normally I get a shop to fit bindings 'cos they do it for free, but I have
fitted bindings to pre drilled skis before and setting them is pretty
trivial if you know where the adjustments are for that particular model.

--
Chris *:-)

What? Cynical? me?

Old March 7th 07, 11:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

MoonMan wrote:
Mary Malmros wrote:
"MoonMan" wrote in
:

Walt wrote:
bumpfreaq wrote:
[...]

Uhm, Chris, I'm not sure, but I think those computerized,
fancy, bells and whistles type of release check machines
(as opposed to an aluminum foot and a torque wrench) are
made by Wintersteiger. At least I think that's the name I
saw on the one Killington has.
Old March 7th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

Mary Malmros wrote:
Walt wrote
Mary Malmros wrote:

You can call him whatever you want, but he has a Winterstieger on his
bench and you don't.

A Winterstieger? I haven't tried that. Is it like Warsteiner? A
wheat beer? An ale?

No, it's a rauchbier. It's definitely an acquired taste, and
unfortunately not for consuming in large quantities.

Yeah, now that I've googled to see what it is, I don't think I could
consume an entire Winterstieger.

But I'd still like to get one for my tuning bench.

Anyway, it sounds delicious. Now I'm jealous. Gotta get one for my
tuning bench.

Have you ever gotten hurt at the Shed?

No, not to my knowledge. Where's the Shed?

//Walt
Old March 8th 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Fried

"
Sorry, what does an automatic Wax, edge and basegrind machine have to do
with fitting and setting bindings? and how do you fit one on a bench.

Seriously your theory may work in litigous America, but I have never seen
a binding test rig over here.
Normally I get a shop to fit bindings 'cos they do it for free, but I have
fitted bindings to pre drilled skis before and setting them is pretty
trivial if you know where the adjustments are for that particular model.

Yes this is the type of answer I was looking for. The new skis come
with bindings mounted and I just wanted to know how you can
make the bindings fit the boot and then adjust the release settings.

Old March 8th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Alan Fried wrote:
"
Sorry, what does an automatic Wax, edge and basegrind machine have to do
with fitting and setting bindings? and how do you fit one on a bench.

Seriously your theory may work in litigous America, but I have never seen
a binding test rig over here.
Normally I get a shop to fit bindings 'cos they do it for free, but I have
fitted bindings to pre drilled skis before and setting them is pretty
trivial if you know where the adjustments are for that particular model.

Yes this is the type of answer I was looking for. The new skis come
with bindings mounted and I just wanted to know how you can
make the bindings fit the boot and then adjust the release settings.

OK. Where's the forward pressure AKA preload indicator on your
particular bindings (the location is different on every binding?) How do
you know that the indicated DIN actually translates to the appropriate
release torque? One of the ways a binding fails testing is if the DIN
indicator and the actual release torque don't track within specified
tolerances I've had otherwise good bindings, on the indemnification
list, fail for out-of-tolerance DIN readings. (Actually me and my shop
guy agreed to scrape the record and adjust to torque, ignoring the DIN
reading: we both know what we're doing around skis.)

In other words, it's not just a matter of adjusting for boot length and
setting a release DIN on the indicator. There is actually some knowledge
involved.
Old March 9th 07, 10:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
MoonMan

lal_truckee wrote:
Alan Fried wrote:
"
[...]

Lal, you're missing the point about DIN standards. if a binding does not
meet the specification it is faulty and should not be used. the difference
in release torque is not the problem, it's only a symptom.

I agree, you should not set bindings unless you know where the adjustments
and indicators are on that particular model and how they should be set. but
as I have said many times before testing may be common in the US, but im'e
not sure about anywhere else, and anyway in the UK you couldn't use it in
court because the result only shows the state of the binding when it was
tested not at any other time.

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old March 9th 07, 12:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

MoonMan wrote:
(snip)

I agree, you should not set bindings unless you know where the adjustments
and indicators are on that particular model and how they should be set. but
as I have said many times before testing may be common in the US, but im'e
not sure about anywhere else, and anyway in the UK you couldn't use it in
court because the result only shows the state of the binding when it was
tested not at any other time.

Interesting comment, this last.

At Killington, and no doubt other US ski areas, where an accident
resulting in an injury AND the injured is using the mountain's
rental skis, the patrol delivers the boots and skis to the rental
department to be tested for release function. This includes
inspection of boot and binding condition as well as a torque
test. This is recorded and saved against possible future litigation.
Right after the accident is much closer to the time of the accident
than testing in the fall and has more standing in a US court, but
will never be the deciding factor. It only strengthens the claim
that the area has provided equipment that is as safe as it can be
within parameters.