Roof Rack or Cargo box?

Old August 18th 04, 04:18 AM
Rich Heimlich

Default Roof Rack or Cargo box?

Guys,

I'm currently in the market for a mini-van and had thought I'd just go
pick up a Thule ski rack but then started wondering about security and
such plus whatever other issues I might not be aware of regarding the
benefits and drawbacks of a rack versus a box.

The big question I would have with a box is, is it easily removable
between trips? I wouldn't want a cargo box if it's a permanent fixture
on the vehicle. Second, how the heck are you supposed to really get to
it on a van? I guess you just open a side-door and get to it that way?

Is a 6-pair rack good enough? I guess it would only make sense to
remove the skis from it if you're going to be gone any length of time.
I'd hate to have to worry about my skis if we stop on the road for a
lunch and come out to find no skis.

Much of the main reason for looking into the van is to be able to keep
the skis out of the way on the roof. If this isn't very feasible,
reliable or safe, I'll have to re-think the whole thing.
Old August 18th 04, 04:34 AM
uglymoney

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:18:23 -0400, Rich Heimlich
wrote:

[...]

Get a box.

- They keep your ski's out of the elements. especially damaging salt
and sand that can ruin bindings and edges..
- They have less windrag than a loaded ski rack
- You can haul all sorts of stuff other than skis inside including
luggage..
- They are sooo functional that you will want to leave it on all year.
- They are easy to put on and off.
- They keep your skis out of site our of mind for the burglar. A
theif has no way of telling if the box is full or empty.

I used to have a ski rack. After a couple of seasons on my Yakima
Rocketbox I am completely sold. It is a far better solution for
hauling skis.

nate
Old August 18th 04, 04:48 AM
AstroPax

wrote:

Guys,

I'm currently in the market for a mini-van and had thought I'd just go
pick up a Thule ski rack but then started wondering about security and
such plus whatever other issues I might not be aware of regarding the
benefits and drawbacks of a rack versus a box.

Box is better. More specifically, a Yakima. The bigger the better.

The big question I would have with a box is, is it easily removable
between trips?

I can yank my Yakima "Rocket Box" in under 5 minutes, no problem.

I wouldn't want a cargo box if it's a permanent fixture
on the vehicle. Second, how the heck are you supposed to really get to
it on a van? I guess you just open a side-door and get to it that way?

Yes. You step-up by placing a foot (or two) on the rocker-panel.

If you can actually ski worth a hoot, you can get into it.

Is a 6-pair rack good enough? I guess it would only make sense to
remove the skis from it if you're going to be gone any length of time.
I'd hate to have to worry about my skis if we stop on the road for a
lunch and come out to find no skis.

Many advantages inherent with a lockable box.

For example, no salt/road grime in the bindings...very important.

Also, you can lock them up...out of sight, out of mind, hidden, from
the potential criminal that is lurking around the corner.

Much of the main reason for looking into the van is to be able to keep
the skis out of the way on the roof. If this isn't very feasible,
reliable or safe, I'll have to re-think the whole thing.

If you can mount a box on a van, that is the way to go.

I can put 4 pairs of skis, 4 pairs of boots, and 4 pairs of poles into
my "Rocket Box", no problem. Probably 6 pair of everything, but I've
never tried *that* much stuff.

Of course, the boots don't go into the box until *after* the ski day,
for obvious reasons.

-Astro

---
X Minus Two
http://www.xmission.com/~hound/astro/04-05/index.htm
---
Old August 18th 04, 05:02 AM
AstroPax

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:34:09 GMT, uglymoney
wrote:

Get a box.

//snip//

As Horvath would say, "I agree with this post".

-Astro

---

Old August 18th 04, 05:13 AM
Rich Heimlich

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:48:59 -0600, AstroPax
wrote:

Box is better. More specifically, a Yakima. The bigger the better.

Both of you recommending boxes have sold me. Why a Yakima
specifically?

I can yank my Yakima "Rocket Box" in under 5 minutes, no problem.

Great news just in case it doesn't fit my way of wanting to drive. I
like OPTIONS.

Is the Rocket Box good for a mini-van? I see all these extra add-ons
that drive the price pretty high.

If you can actually ski worth a hoot, you can get into it.

Do the skis just lay in it free or are they locked in some way? I'd be
a bit concerned about them flailing back and forth during turns and
such.

For example, no salt/road grime in the bindings...very important.

Saw that in the first post and it hadn't crossed my mind. Almost
bought a rack before checking back too. Glad I did.

Also, you can lock them up...out of sight, out of mind, hidden, from
the potential criminal that is lurking around the corner.

As said in the first post, I like the idea that the burglar wouldn't
know what's in there so there's little chance of them bothering with
it while we're eating lunch.

I can put 4 pairs of skis, 4 pairs of boots, and 4 pairs of poles into
my "Rocket Box", no problem. Probably 6 pair of everything, but I've
never tried *that* much stuff.

Most of the time it'll be 3 pairs of items. Boots I hadn't even
considered! Once in a while we'll have 6 or more of us.

Of course, the boots don't go into the box until *after* the ski day,
for obvious reasons.

Doh! Yeah, I'd suspect unless I magically heated the box, that'd make
for some pretty cold starts. grin
Old August 18th 04, 05:17 AM
Rich Heimlich

Oh, hey! I guess if I have the standard luggage rack bars that run
front-to-back and NOT side-to-side, that I will need some sort of
additional cross-bars from Yakima to connect the box to right?
Old August 18th 04, 07:05 AM
Rich Heimlich

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:33:32 +0900, tm wrote:

http://www.onionriver.com/thule/fg_vehicle.asp

Unless I'm misreading all this, I'd be best to go all one manufacturer
or the other. If I go Yakima box, to keep all the locks set to a
single key I'd be best off going with their mounting kit, no?
Old August 18th 04, 07:40 AM
Rich Heimlich

For the Yakima fans, does anyone see a big difference between the
Platinum Pro, Black Pro and Rocket series?

Right now I like the Black Pro products because they seem to be so
much easier to clamp on and off and unlock, etc., over the Rocket.
However, the Platinum's only benefit over the Black series is that
it's made of this Airalite material that they say is lighter and
stronger and silver. The Black 21 weighs 75 lbs while the Platimum 21
weighs 72 lbs. $70 more for 3 pounds less? No way.

The good news is I can avoid both sales tax and delivery charges as
there's a retailer that carries these in the next state over
(including Thule) and all the parts. The only problem is it's full
retail. Without tax and shipping I'm still saving over $100 so it's
probably a break-even over what I could save otherwise.

Now the big question is, 16, 18 or 21 cubic feet? This will likely be
going onto a Chrysler Town & Country LXi so the roof is fairly large
and I like the idea of having more space if needed for future trips.
Old August 18th 04, 11:35 AM
Mary Malmros

Rich Heimlich wrote:

Now the big question is, 16, 18 or 21 cubic feet? This will likely be
going onto a Chrysler Town & Country LXi so the roof is fairly large
and I like the idea of having more space if needed for future trips.

"More space" to carry what? You've got a lot of products to choose
from; what's the right one? Well, that depends on what you're gonna do,
doesn't it?

Personally, I think that if you need to tack another 21 cubic feet of
space on top of your vehicle (which is probably an SUV, for most people
who choose that option), then maybe you need to be asking yourself some
lifestyle questions. If you're moving across the country, get a moving
van; if you're going to the mountains or the ocean or to grandma's for
the weekend, you won't fill up that box, unless you're filling it with
stuff that you won't end up using.

But I digress. If you're getting it for skis, then your concern is
length, not cubic feet. I got the...jeez, what is it, the space
booster, I think, about the smallest cheapest Yakima box that isn't a
shorty. It's long enough to take my super G skis, and that's all I care
about. Have I ever used the box to transport things other than skis?
Sure, when we were cleaning out my dad's house I threw the box on the
car and used it to carry long stuff like garden tools. My point,
though, is that if you don't have a fairly specific use in mind when you
buy, don't just get something bigger for "other uses". It's
overconsumption and a waste of your money.

As far as putting it on and taking it off goes, my relatively small box
is about a five minute job...but it is a smaller box, and I'm putting it
on a sedan. If you're putting a big box on top of a van, it'll probably
take longer. Also, it's really important to get it on right. You can
put it on and take it off every weekend, if you really want to, but I
don't think it's a great idea. One day you'll be in a hurry, and you
won't tighten things properly, and things will start blowing off on the
highway and going through somebody else's windshield. Or, less
consequentially, you'll scratch the hell out of your nice shiny van as
you horse that box up and down off the rack.

Old August 18th 04, 03:40 PM
The Real Bev

Mary Malmros wrote:

Rich Heimlich wrote:

Now the big question is, 16, 18 or 21 cubic feet? This will likely be
going onto a Chrysler Town & Country LXi so the roof is fairly large
and I like the idea of having more space if needed for future trips.

"More space" to carry what? You've got a lot of products to choose
from; what's the right one? Well, that depends on what you're gonna do,
doesn't it?

Personally, I think that if you need to tack another 21 cubic feet of
space on top of your vehicle (which is probably an SUV, for most people
who choose that option), then maybe you need to be asking yourself some
lifestyle questions. If you're moving across the country, get a moving
van; if you're going to the mountains or the ocean or to grandma's for
the weekend, you won't fill up that box, unless you're filling it with
stuff that you won't end up using.

If you plan on doing coast-to-coast van travel without staying in motels
or pitching tents, more is better. A family in a van NEEDS more space.
Carry on...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Ski/Board rack Ace Snowboarding 2 March 6th 04 12:11 AM
keeping skis in roof box for a couple of weeks DZN Alpine Skiing 4 February 27th 04 03:24 PM
Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack??? John Davison Snowboarding 9 January 14th 04 07:20 PM
Tow Hitch Mounted Ski/Snowboard Rack??? John Davison Alpine Skiing 9 January 14th 04 07:20 PM
FA YAKIMA BUTTONDOWN 6 Ski Rack ends Nov 25 Jimpy Marketplace 0 November 22nd 03 12:28 AM