Snowboarder Dead :-(

Old January 10th 05, 11:00 AM
Simon Brown

Default Snowboarder Dead :-(

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 10th 05, 11:09 AM
cupra

Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but let's hope the culprit
comes forward or is identified.

Old January 10th 05, 11:11 AM
Simon Brown

" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control throughout
the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but let's hope the

culprit
comes forward or is identified.

Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Old January 10th 05, 11:17 AM
cupra

Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.

Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.

They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a good
description of the offender.

Old January 10th 05, 11:18 AM
Le Dieu

" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.

Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.

They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a good
description of the offender.

I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They might
have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope they find him.

A. D.

Old January 10th 05, 11:26 AM
cupra

Le Dieu wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

[...]

Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of something
like this.

Old January 10th 05, 11:49 AM
Ace

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 12:00:40 +0100, "Simon Brown"
wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a skier in
the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying in the snow
without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was rammed by the skier who
was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)
Old January 10th 05, 11:50 AM
PG

" cupra" wrote in message
| Le Dieu wrote:
| " cupra" wrote in message
| Simon Brown wrote:
| " cupra" wrote in message
| Simon Brown wrote:
| From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.
|
| "Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer
| gestorben"
|
| BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with
| skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder
| lying in the snow without offering any assistance. The
| snowboarder was rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very
| high speed.
|
| I suffered a few near misses from people on the edge of control
| throughout the Sella Ronda this Xmas - the chances are slim, but
| let's hope the culprit comes forward or is identified.
|

| Maybe there will be more info in the Italian press / websites.
|
| They pretty much say the same, although it appears that there is a
| good description of the offender.
|

| I can't believe someone wouldn't stop in those circumstances. They
| might have been able to help. At least call for assistance. I hope
| they find him.
|
| Yep - at the end of the day, any one of us could be a victim of
something
| like this.

Would a helmet have helped? Who knows, but if it was a high speed
collision, along the lines of a racing skier hitting a stationary
boarder, it may not have made any difference. The Italians have got a
raft of new laws that affect this sort of incident now, which include
the criminal offence (along the lines of the well-established French
law) of "non-assistance to a person in danger"). Still the maximum
penalties are fines of 1000 euros, if I read the Italian press right.
Hit and runs like this should be punishable by minimum prison terms, if
the skier really was responsible.

Pete

Old January 10th 05, 11:52 AM
cupra

wrote:

From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

"Snowboarder in Italien nach Zusammenstoss mit Skifahrer gestorben"

BELLUNO - A 38 year-old snowboarder died after a collision with a
skier in the Dolomites. The skier left the injured snowboarder lying
in the snow without offering any assistance. The snowboarder was
rammed by the skier who was travelling at a very high speed.

I find this a bit like the fairly frequent "biker down" threads on
ukrm. I mean, was it anybody I know, or you know? If not, what's the
big deal? I mean, it's not _that_ unusual an occurence.

The day a death on the slopes is treated as 'not a big deal' is the day I
think I'll hang up my boots.....

Old January 10th 05, 11:54 AM
cupra

PG wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Le Dieu wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
" cupra" wrote in message
Simon Brown wrote:
From www.tagesanzeiger.ch - a summary translated by myself.

[...]

You're absolutely right about not knowing the circumstances of the accident
and whether a helmet would have helped - all we know for sure is that the
low life didn't stop to assist.