Old October 3rd 03, 08:16 AM
Eugene Miya

Default Advice - Switzerland/Austria/France

In article ,
S. Gione wrote:
You mentioned the Jungfrau area: we went there once and stayed at a charming
place called the Waldran. We were driving and needed chains to get to the
place. Anyway, after checking in I asked the desk how to get to the lift
... "just ski down the road (you just drove up) and take a left under the
Mannicherbahn (lift)". Pretty cool, and ski-in/ski-out.

Longest gondola in the world.

Yeah the Jungfrau was my first stop on my first trip to Europe.
France is OK, too. Austria: I need more time.

Early season skiing: when you get lower you will get the smell of
European cow dung. Rocks have largely been removed so that the base
starts with grass. Lodging is likely to be ok BEFORE X-mas, but will
be fully booked after just like the US.

Less grooming.

I have found 2 books on European and world skiing:
Ski Europe is so-so
Reuter's has Where to Ski (and Snowboard) worldwide

wrote in message
.. .
Hoping to find recommendations on Intermediate skiing with a good
nightlife (and non-skiing activities). Timing is Christmas week, so
it is early in the season.

Would like to try Switzerland or Austria - with France a distant
third. Was originally leaning towards Jungfrau region, but having
doubts over quality of skiing and nightlife. Any opinions are greatly
appreciated as it will be my first trip to Europe. My traveling

Jungfrau is okay for a first time.
It all depends on your readinng and knowledge of the area and what your
priorities are.

With a minimum of prep one Dec. I flew from SF/DC to Zurich and back.
At the airport I was given a choice where do I want a train ticket for?
So I just said Interlaken off the top of my head. Having never been
there, no hotel in mind.

After a sort of orientation day (Sunday anyway, important to know days
even with ATMs) I spent 5 days in that part of the Bernese oberland.

The Jungfrau is basic Grindelwald and the Lauderbrunnen Valleys.
There are sort of 4 different sets of slopes to ski. The train/ski
ticket to purchase in that area is the one with the 3 or more days of
lift skiing plus the train up to the Jungfraujoch. The combined ticket
is better than separate tickets. Most Swiss cities, towns and villages
have web sites www.townname.ch.

I didn't ski First. I wish I had also skied Murren as well as Wengen
and down to Grindelwald. So for me, the next time I visit that region
I will go for at least 5 days. I plan to avoid staying in Grindelwald
or Launderbrunnen proper, the villages minus cars are nicer if more
expensive (I actually stay at Kleine Scheidegg but I have friends whose
history involved the Eiger). I also have a co-worker who grew up in Spiez.

Very nice region for tourists.

As a first timer, take a day in Zermatt and see the Matterhorn on a day
of hopefully good weather.

Expensive, but it is a symbol worth seeing.