Old September 29th 03, 06:23 PM
S. Gione

Default Advice - Switzerland/Austria/France

Just an "outside chance" caution, it might be different in a ski area but:

My wife and I were in Wien (Vienna) for Christmas. The front desk of our
hotel warned us that, on Christmas Eve, all restaurants would be closed ...
people are religious in Austria. We assumed he was referring to the hotel
restaurants ... not true, we hiked all over the city and could not find a
place open. We had "chocolate Santas" for dinner, which the hotel
courteously left in the room.

You mentioned the Jungfrau area: we went there once and stayed at a charming
place called the Waldran. We were driving and needed chains to get to the
place. Anyway, after checking in I asked the desk how to get to the lift
.... "just ski down the road (you just drove up) and take a left under the
Mannicherbahn (lift)". Pretty cool, and ski-in/ski-out.

wrote in message
Hello,

Hoping to find recommendations on Intermediate skiing with a good
nightlife (and non-skiing activities). Timing is Christmas week, so
it is early in the season.

Would like to try Switzerland or Austria - with France a distant
third. Was originally leaning towards Jungfrau region, but having
doubts over quality of skiing and nightlife. Any opinions are greatly
appreciated as it will be my first trip to Europe. My traveling
companion and I are in our early 30's.

One last question - would you recommend waiting to reserve hotels
until there or just before - therefore protecting myself against green
trails?

Thanks.