Old January 8th 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Excess

Default Recommendations for weeks skiing in April - learner

On Jan 7, 4:18*pm, wrote:
Hi

I'm trying to get my head around booking a skiing holiday.

I've never skiied before so am concerned about being fleeced!

As a first time skiier, I expect what I'm looking for is pretty
standard - flights (from London) to the destination, accommodation,
equipment hire, ski lift passes and teaching.

What I can't seem to find is anyone who can bring that all together
inclusive - it would be nice to be able to arrive and not have to
worry about sorting these things out. Is there an operator anyone
would recommend?

Also, I know April is getting a bit late for snow - is it best to head
for high altitude areas like Les Deux Alpes and Val Thorens?

Any tips gratefully received!

Personally I would suggest avoiding the big resorts. Everything is
more expensive, from lift passes (that covers miles and miles you
don't need) to accommodation, bars and restaurants. Places like Val
Thorens are great for more advanced skiers and this is the kind of
people who go there so as a beginner on the slopes it can feel a bit
intimidating.

Most French resorts are open until 26 April so for early April you can
go pretty much anywhere. From mid to late April it's better to choose
glacier/high altitude resort. My recommendation is Vaujany part of the
Alpe d'Huez ski area.

How about driving there. It takes all the hassle from going through
airports away and then you are in control of your itinerary. It's all
motorway to the French Alps so an easy drive. It's generally a lot
cheaper too when with a few people.

Some Easter deals on smaller resorts on http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/ea...iing-deals.htm.
Peak Retreats can organise accommodation, ski equipment, ski lessons,
lift passes...
In La Norma for instance based on 4 people staying in a 2 bedroom
apartment by the slopes for the week of 05/04 it would cost you £310
pp all in (Eurotunnel with a car with free premium Flexi-Plus ticket
upgrade, quality skis & boots, 6 half day ski lessons and lift pass)
see http://www.peakretreats.co.uk/ski/la-norma.htm

XS
Peak Retreats http://www.peakretreats.co.uk
Ski Collection http://www.skicollection.co.uk