Old October 27th 03, 10:57 PM
Sue

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

In message , David Mahon
writes

First of all, my preferred newsserver did, once upon a time, only take
uk.* groups. This has now changed but I still prefer to stick with uk.*
for historical reasons.

Selective newsservers are a widespread problem - we usually recommend
the Berlin server as a cure.
I use Old Unreliable because I like to have something to complain about!

Secondly, most alt/big8 groups have many threads which are of no
interest as they are not relevant to me in the UK. This doesn't go
particularly for skiing or for RSRE, but goes for usenet groups in
general.

Naturally that varies with the subject matter. It isn't true of skiing,
where experience has shown that irrelevance goes by destination - I
don't want to read about North American resorts, though I take RSA for
the trollin^H^H^H technique threads. I wish the Leftpondians would use
r.s.r.n-a as its creators intended!

Finally, the traffic is often higher than in a regional hierarchy. I
don't like to wade through 200 posts a day looking for a few that
interest me. I tend to miss them. OK, so the ratio of signal to noise
may be the same, but with only 20 posts a day I can afford to read them
all.

You'll have gathered that traffic isn't heavy here; it's not a problem
for me if people crosspost an extra group in, but it is a problem if
they're using OE and post the same enquiry separately to two or three
groups [1].
OE is regrettably common among legitimate users of sport groups, because
the Internet is often not a major part of their lives (well, would you
rather be posting on Usenet or doing outdoor sports in beautiful
surroundings?)

Also (sorry if I've missed this somewhere else in the thread) would
you be using the proposed group yourself?

I had intended to.

Thank you.
BTW, why are there uk.local.essx (with traffic) and uk.local.essex (no
traffic) - is 'essx' a concession to AOL?

[1] I got mixed up and sent a rude response to RSAM. It took them about
a fortnight to even reject it!
--
Sue ];(