Old January 23rd 05, 07:01 PM
rosco

Dave M wrote:

AstroPax wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:33:03 -0700, rosco
wrote:

I have never been to Big Sky and am going in a few days. Does anyone
know the mountain and have a good game plan for the mountain in these
scarse snow conditions?

I don't have an answer to your question(s)...

...but I'll comment anyway ;)

I've skied there a few times, and frankly, I wasn't too impressed with
the place.

Seemed like an awfule lot of rocks...rock city...especially off of the
tram.

And unlike Jackson's 4000+ vert, the 4,350 of advertised vert at Big
Sky is not continuous. But of course, they don't tell you that little
detail. Instead, they call it "Skiable Vertical":

http://www.bigskyresort.com/ontheslo...ch_ots_mts.asp

Big Sky also claims an average annual snowfall of 400+ inches, but in
reality, the season average is more like 261".

I don't like places where the marketing department uses smoke and
mirrors, and Big Sky is one of them.

30" at the base, and 50" mid-mountain right now. That sounds like
bare minimums to me. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money at
this (or any) point.

-Astro

I'd second all of that. At this point, anything in the PNW is at bare
minimums or even closed completely for lack of snow. You didn't say when
you are coming but it was almost 50F in Whitefish yesterday. A buddy of
mine said that the place is a ghosttown. *No one* is skiing much except
the touristas. That weather pattern is expected to continue through the
coming week at least with the very warm wet stuff tracking north past
the coast.

Big sky has _some_ OK terrain but it will all be a mass of exposed
rocks, twigs, and crap this year. 30-50" seems like less than bare
minimums, seems like bare runs. Also, given the temps the snow that they
have should be complete slop. With only 85% open, you can guess that
anything steeper is either closed or should be closed -- which might be
fine for you, I don't know. But, if you are going for steep stuff or
good snow, stay home.

(BTW, there are better places in MT for a lot less money that have much
better steeps/snow/extreme ****e [e.g. BridgerBowl for steeps or Great
Divide for glades and trees] but even they have no snow to speak of and
not enough to have fun in the fun stuff, for sure)

Take your money and go buy beer and cheese to sacrifice for a better
year next year.

Dave "I got my bike down yesterday" M.

Oh bloody well. I am already committed at this point. We will be in
Yellowstone on snowmachines the day before, so its not like I am
investing travel time or $ on the venture. I am well aware of the
weather as it is spring conditions here in the Tetons. At least it is
thawing every day and we are getting some large-faceted crystal
developement otherwise called corn. Having recently been from the
Sierras, this is a favorite form of snow to me. I am fearful, but
optimistic there will be enough coverage to keep me from injury. At
least its a paid roadtrip.

RAC