Old January 23rd 05, 05:34 PM
rosco

AstroPax wrote:
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:33:03 -0700, rosco
wrote:

I have never been to Big Sky and am going in a few days. Does anyone
know the mountain and have a good game plan for the mountain in these
scarse snow conditions?

I don't have an answer to your question(s)...

...but I'll comment anyway ;)

I've skied there a few times, and frankly, I wasn't too impressed with
the place.

Seemed like an awfule lot of rocks...rock city...especially off of the
tram.

And unlike Jackson's 4000+ vert, the 4,350 of advertised vert at Big
Sky is not continuous. But of course, they don't tell you that little
detail. Instead, they call it "Skiable Vertical":

http://www.bigskyresort.com/ontheslo...ch_ots_mts.asp

Big Sky also claims an average annual snowfall of 400+ inches, but in
reality, the season average is more like 261".

I don't like places where the marketing department uses smoke and
mirrors, and Big Sky is one of them.

30" at the base, and 50" mid-mountain right now. That sounds like
bare minimums to me. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time or money at
this (or any) point.

-Astro

Thanks for the info & editorial.

Part of the trip is biz, so at least it won't be a total waste of time.
The trip's paid for, so that won't be a waste, either.

Good spring corn out here. I heard LCC lost a bunch of coverage to avy.
Something like "the 100 year avy cycle" hit this year? Sounds dismal
but these things are usually overblown.

RAC