Old January 11th 05, 09:17 AM
Ace

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:15:15 +0000, Lloyd Jenkins
wrote:

I have a pair of Salomon X-Scream Series which have given great service.
During a weeks skiing at La Plagne over Christmas I found that part of
one of the rear (V) Prolink arms had detached and broken off . Whilst I
must say that I didn't immediately notice the difference in ski
performance it would be nice to restore the skis to full working condition.

If you can't notice a difference I'd say this supports the popular
view that the prolink arms did sweet FA in the first place. How much
have you skiied them anyway? I had a pair (well 1 1/2 pairs actually -
it's a long story) when they were first released in '98 which were
completely skiied out (i.e. they'd lost their 'bounce') after about 80
days use - if you're approaching that then you should seriously think
about replacing them.

In any event, there are many better skis about now - I was amazed by
the Bandit XX with which I replaced my X-Screams, and they've
themselves been superceded by the B2 (although I still think the XX
was better). You might also look at some of the twin-tip big mountain
skis, if it's off-piste use you're looking at. Both the Scratch BC and
the Pocket Rocket make great all-rounders, with the latter better in
powder, and I'm aware that they're among a choice of about a dozen
similarly rated skis.

They really are so much better than the old screamers that you
wouldn't regret it.

Does anyone know whether the Prolinks can be replaced and has anyone had
this repair done. What sort of cost are we looking at here?

No idea, I'm afraid. If it was the old straight one you could be
struggling, and I'm not sure if they now make any skis at all with the
prolink system.

Is it possible to buy the part and fix the Prolink in place? If so, what
sort of adhesive is recommended?

PVA should do the job, I reckon.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)