Old December 9th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace

Default Engelberg conditions

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 10:13:12 +0000, BrritSki
wrote:

Ace wrote:

snip exactly the sort of info I was looking for

The vibe of the place has changed in the last year or three, and is
now predominantly popular with the younger serious skiers and
boarders. It's one of the few places where I almost feel
under-equipped with my rucksack, probe, shovel, transceiver, etc. etc.
I don't wear the back protector and helmet, see?

You should, or do you have internal titanium back supports still ?

Heh. No, the metalwork was all removed in July. Still struggling to
get properly fit, but each day's skiing seems to do me as much good as
several weeks of physio and exercises, so it's looking up. I've got
three weeks repping in Flaine starting next weekend[1], so I should be
fighting fit by the end of that.

I could go on, but a) I don't want to over-sell the place and b) I
have to go to bed - early start in the morning. Suffice it to say that
it's where we've chosen to buy - the fact that it's just an hour and a
quarter from the office, plus 30 minutes from our house, is, of
course, entirely significant :-))

Nice, enjoy, and thanks for all the inside gen.

No worries. Just got back from another couple of days - some great
powder skiing yesterday, today would have been even better after more
snow overnight, but by the time we got out (we had non-skiing guests,
who'd arrived with a magnum of champagne which set the scene for the
evening) the visibility had started to drop, with more heavy snow
falling. Managed one decent fresh-track run before it set in, but cut
it short soon after lunch.

Oh, and I realised I'd forgotten to mention the terrain park, which is
quite extensive and boasts, apparently, the largest half-pipe in
Switzerland. Not my thang, and I'd guess not yours either, but who
knows, eh?

[1] Bad planning or what? We just found the flat we wanted in October
and the owner needed to complete by Dec 1st, so it's all been a bit of
a rush job. Previous Ski Club commitments must, of course, take
precedence, but it'd have been lovely to spend xmas there.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)