Old August 26th 04, 07:04 PM
Paul Christofanelli

Sam Seiber wrote:
: Always love reading Colorado ski history.
:
: If I recall correctly, the owner of Sharktooth reported that the top 30
: feet of his ski area was as good as anything in the Alps.
: So, that is something like 1.5 turns?
:
: Anyway, glad someone else cares about the Loveland opening date.
: They have re-done their web site. Those rats have a count down
: clock running right now. I just hope it is accurate.

Here's perhaps a little-known tidbit about Sharktooth: they opened one
summer in the early 80's for some weeks of grass skiing. Can't remember
now what the soda was called that featured a commercial showing gonzo
grass skiing, making it look fun and easy - but that's what got us out
there. Well, the grass was in short supply in the prairie near Greeley
and between that and the fact that all those things do is carve (no
sideslipping), it was quite challenging and we came away battered and
bruised - never to try it again. I don't think Sharktooth lasted much
longer... There was also grass skiing at Arapaho East for a while, but
now there are trophy houses at the top of that hill.

-Paul C.