Old January 20th 05, 05:56 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
"Steve Haigh" wrote in message
Rob White wrote:

There's no way to predict if or how skis will be stolen, the only way
stop it is to lock them up if you leave them.

Do those littel cable locks really work? I can only imagine that they
are pretty easy to cut through witha pair of wire cutters.

A friend of mine was in
Courchevel a few years ago at a pit-stop by a piste, when a skier came

past
and simply swiped a pair of skis stood up in the snow, without even
stopping. My son and a mate had three pairs nicked from their apartment
balcony in Val d-Isere 13 months ago - it seems the thief climbed up
the
drain pipe to reach them!

Not at all unusual, I've heard of this happening a few times.

I write my name on my skis with a big thick indelible marker.

That's not likely to stop them being stolen (certainly not in a ski by
theft) and the thief is hardly likely to bring them back if he sees that
they are no good to him.